Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Electrics to Glow Conversions
Reload this Page >

Pt Electric - Glow Conversion Question

Community
Search
Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

Pt Electric - Glow Conversion Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 04:10 AM
Giant Scale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pt Electric - Glow Conversion Question

I was cleaning out the basement the other day and came across a great planes PT-electric trainer. Don't remember where I got the thing but was wondering would it be possible to convert this plane over to glow? What size engine would be needed to fly it. I think the weight is about 45oz ready to fly.
Old 10-20-2002, 04:37 PM
RC_Eflyer-RCU

I'd bet that a .25 fp or LA would fly it just fine.

--Paul
Old 10-21-2002, 02:59 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

I think a glow forum might be a better place for this. For the most part, airframes are airframes; there is very little that differentiates a glow airframe from an electric airframe. Of course you use less material on an electic and more on a glow, but besides that...

Anyway, the power system is what really makes one different from the other, and you're asking specifically about a glow engine in a group primarily focused on electric power. Fine and dandy as long as somebody that flies both pokes around, but a lost cause on a site like The Ezone...

Six cells, direct drive 600 motor... Hmm.. A .25 would overpower the poor little plane and tear the wings off. I'd say a strong .15. This is an old design, so it may not even need to be beefed up to take the banging and shaking from the engine.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:35 AM
Giant Scale

I had posted in the Q&A forum and got no response. The Pt-electric is similar to the PT-20 but it is lighter. I am leaning towards an engine in the .20-.25 range. I am really looking for a lightweight powerplant to put up front. The stock can motor and battery weighs somewhere around 21oz. I think I can find a glow engine that weighs alot less. I'll need to beef up the nose end of the plane and modify the firewall. I'd like to remove some of the wing dihedral and perhaps add ailerons. I haven't built a plane this small in awhile so I just wanted to have some fun with it.
It's been gathering dust in the basement for many years so I'd figure I'd do a little kit bashing.
Old 10-23-2002, 02:42 AM
Ted Farmin

You might be surprised as to how little extra support yu need on
the front of the plane for a 25. 1/8 light ply will be plenty for
strenght.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Pt Electric - Glow Conversion Question

I converted one of these and used an OS .25 FP. More than enough power, it would fly fine on a .15. I glued a 1/8" piece of birch ply to the firewall and it needed no other strengthening.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:02 AM
gatreetop

Hey Giant Scale
I converted Super Star trainer elect. to glow. GO to elect. to glow forum, Super Star.
maybe info. might help,also posted pics. Fun little plane to fly w/you just want some
relaxing flying.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:59 AM
yugo_tr

my plane flying well with OS .15 max.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99012.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1475029