Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Electrics to Glow Conversions
Reload this Page >

Superstar Electric to Glow

Community
Search
Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

Superstar Electric to Glow

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:33 PM
dlach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superstar Electric to Glow

Hi All,

I'm currently converting a Hobbico Superstar small trainer that a friend gave me, because he gave up flying, and Ive always wanted to have a small overpowered trainer, that fits on my trunk, and have a couple of spare batteries on a 4CHradio so I can fly where it may... I want to hear opinions I have some spare Hitec servos, with a TX and RX, so I'll be using that as electronics, and I have some spare engines to choose which one to use:

- Vintage O.S Max .35 (no muffler, just a butterfly valve connected to the throttle linkage system
- O.S FS-40 Surpass (4-stroke)
- O.S .25 (Old Heli engine)
- Thunder Tiger GP .42

I'm attaching some pictures, to receive ideas on what engine to use, how to cover the model again, I want to add another servo to put a mechanism that opens up the old battery door to throw stuff, or maybe install a small camera device.

I'm also changing the hinge mechanism from tape, to some small plastic hinges to make it more durable, the ailerons I'm gonna leave them with their actual mechanism which is the small CA Hinges made from a plastic-fiber sheet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	eb86614.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	1376519  
Old 02-11-2010, 01:57 PM
dlach

Default RE: Superstar Electric to Glow

pic#2

Name:	db85215.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	400.6 KB
ID:	1376530  
Old 02-11-2010, 01:59 PM
dlach

pic#3

Name:	lj22614.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	393.8 KB
ID:	1376531  
Old 02-11-2010, 02:00 PM
dlach

Old OS .35

Name:	ay74629.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	1376532  
Old 02-11-2010, 02:01 PM
dlach

O.S FS-40 Surpass 4-Stroke

Name:	Ge95719.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1376533  
Old 02-11-2010, 03:51 PM
HellcatAce
My Feedback: (6)

Welcome aboard dlach! I just checked the specs on that bird at Tower. With a 48.75" wingspan and an electric all up weight of 2.7 lbs you have quite a bit of flexibility. Standard radio gear is designed to fit this model, so that shouldn't be an issue. This is the equivalent to a .25 glow model. I would cover it with either regular Monokote or the lighter Econokote but any iron on type covering would work. The old O.S. is sure cool, but they weren't near as easy to use as the newer motors you've got, although it or any of the engines would probably work great. The .42 will surely be super overkill in this model as it would easily power the 60" big brother to this trainer. If it was me, I'd put the .40 surpass on it for the cool factor of the four stroke sound.

Keep us posted which ever direction you plan to go.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:02 PM
dlach

Thanks Hellcat, well as this moment, Im working on the plane, just sanding it a little bit, and also started cleaning up another engine that I have, which is an old O.S .40 SR, still think that would overkill the model, I have around 40 models, scale and not scale, but currently moving them from one city to other where I live now, and started cleaning up the old planes, the one's that belonged to my dad, and some of them where I learned to fly, so using old engines its quite often for me, I started cleaning up the .40SR because its a little bit lighter than the FS-40, and has the same size crankcase than the .35 oldie, because I want the A/C to be a "fly where it may" I wanted to put a 2-Stroke, so can easily be turned on with a chicken stick, not needing the full setup using an electric starter, because those old FS-40 4-stroke engines tend to bother a little to cold start, just wanted to discuss a little bit, what do you think about it ? oh by the way of course I will use monokote, the lighter the better, and its the best material to use on this case.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:05 PM
gluemaster

I have one of these that my neighbor gave me still set up for electric. It was originally the 3 channel version but he installed ailerons but said that they needed to be redone because they didn't seem to work too well. I have a like new Thunder Tiger GP15 that is going on mine. I'm almost finished redoing the aileron setup. After that I'll recover the wing, install the radio gear, engine and fuel tank and get her ready for the maiden flight. I'm also debating whether or not to make it a tricycle gear setup. I'll have to see what the AUW is when I'm done. My neighbor has 2 more that are glow powered. One has an O.S. 25 LA and the other has a 15 LA. He says the one with the 25 is a rocket and the one with the 15 is more relaxing.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:10 PM
HellcatAce
My Feedback: (6)

Well, if you want flip starts, I think that .40SR will do the trick for sure. Those ones have lots of ponies so I bet you could probably hover it if you wanted to.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:02 PM
dlach

Well, after what gluemaster said, and being 40SR a very powerful motor, with a lot of power to give out, I'm not pretty sure what I want, I want to have a dependable A/C and if I put that big engine then I'll need to modify the wing to fuselage attachment, the rubber bands wont do the trick, so I guess I'll need a smaller engine, not sure yet which one... because I dont know which other engines I have sitting around.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:28 PM
gatreetop

Hello I have already converted mine. Mounted OS25, has pleanty of power. I left micro servos in,
they work fine. Beefed up fire wall,fuel proofed,w/clear dope. Cut acc. just behind fire wall on
bottom of fuse,install 3oz fuel tank,fits perfect. Dont go in from top, you wont have room to
get tank in with out mod. use sg. tank with out lip on bottom. cut 1/16 ply. to cover acc.
install w/screws. I installed nose gear. got CG by moving rx and batt. around. she"ll loop,
do real lazy rolls, even fly inverted. s.star was the first 4ch. I learned to fly. Moved on to
larger planes. I kept looking a S.Star collecting dust,and it being such a good looking
little trainer, thats when I decided to covert her. When you just want some real relaxed flying
she'll do the trick.

Name:	Ki19326.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	354.6 KB
ID:	1389011  
Old 02-28-2010, 10:38 PM
dlach

WOW !! great looking plane, I would love to see more pics of your conversion details, specially the fuel tank installation, cause I got my plane all naked, waiting to re-cover it, and removed the balsa sheet's from the top part behind the firewall, so I could install the tank in there, I haven't done much work lately just been really busy with some other stuff, but please If you can post more pics !

Thanks for sharing,

Daniel

PD: I'm looking also for a relaxed flying model, that i could fly anywhere and joke around a little bit.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:11 PM
gatreetop

dlach
gatreetop again,I forgot about about landing gear. Remove wire ones,get alum. 11/4" wide at
base,w/4"legs,91/2" wide at wheels. Cut fuse. where gears where 31/2" long.Beef up ea. side
of fuse. at bottom w/1/16" ply. strips. Install w/appx. 1/4" ply. block to mount gears on.
Cover rest of hole in fuse. w/1/16" ply. then monocoat. Good look.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:15 PM
gatreetop

dlach
gatreetop again,I forgot about about landing gear. Remove wire ones,get alum. 11/4" wide at
base,w/4"legs,91/2" wide at wheels. Cut fuse. where gears where 31/2" long.Beef up ea. side
of fuse. at bottom w/1/16" ply. strips. Install w/appx. 1/4" ply. block to mount gears on.
Cover rest of hole in fuse. w/1/16" ply. then monocoat. Good look.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:22 PM
gatreetop

dlach
Thanks I was pleased how she turned out too! I"ll try to get you some more pics. tomorrow ok.
If you go ahead and covert her you'll be glad. Real fun and relaxed flyer.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:30 AM
gluemaster

gatreetop, thanks for posting the pics. I was considering converting mine to a tricycle gear setup but don't know how much weight it will add. What kind of flight time do you get with the 3 oz. tank? I'm only using a Thunder Tiger GP15 on mine. I was going to get a 4 oz. tank since all I have are the 3 oz. and a 6 oz.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:30 AM
gatreetop

gluemaster
Don't worry about weight on gears. The stock batt. that came w/elect. was very heavy, gears and
ply. beef up for gears no way near the weight of batt. w/trike gears 3oz. tank and OS25
CG comes out perfect! flight time is 10 to 15 min. depending on how fast you fly. The 25
doesn't use much fuel. Touch and goes w/this little bird are a blast. I'm going to fly mine today.
I'm waiting on canopy for my TigerII and like a few more days before Super Decathlon is
ready. Super Star is great for back up. I'm going to post some more pics on coversion for dlach.
maybe they'll help you out to. good luck.
Phillip
Old 03-01-2010, 09:44 AM
gatreetop

Hey gluemaster something I forgot. I'm not to sure on tiger 15 you're going to use. I don't
think its enough power to get her up. Even w/my 25 it it takes about 25/30ft. for lift off.
I found a elect. to glow coversion chart on web. (sorry don't remember where) thats
what I went by.I wouldn't go less than a 25.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:00 AM
dlach

Phillip,

Thanks for all the advice, I'm definitely going to change the M.LG, I was thinking on making it of fiberglass, or carbon fiber, but I think the aluminum one is quite good, I'm going to left it with tail skid, but I am going to make the L.G higher the A/C so it supports a 9x6 prop, with a .35 O.S engine, I know it sound kinda overpowered, but I'm flying in Bogota, Colombia, and we are 8500ft above sea level, engines loose a lot of power, and also need to use nitro, hoping to see those pics, and I definitely need to go back working on the A/C, I'm currently working on 2 more at the same time so it quite takes me some time to finish up everything.

Daniel
Old 03-01-2010, 09:39 PM
gluemaster

Thanks for the head up gatreetop I only have the Thunder Tiger 15 so I'll give it a shot anyway. If it doesn't work I'll have to get a larger engine. I just picked up a Du-Bro 4 oz. fuel tank, a replacement nose gear for an E-flite Apprentice, and some other misc hardware. I have a relatively light set of main gear that I'll use. I will use a micro servo for the throttle and try to save weight where I can. Hopefully it will be little lighter than the stock setup when I'm done.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:58 PM
gluemaster

Gatreetop, how far back did you mount the main gear? From angle of the picture it looks like they may be under the spar or slightly aft.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:06 PM
gatreetop

HELLO Daniel/Gluemaster
I'm trying to send you a reply and some pics. MY comp. is going off and on,we're
having snow and rain right now!! May get some double post but I'm trying.
Been awhile since I converted mine and I was wrong about 1/16 ply. on bottom
of fuse ea. side. I used 1/4" maple strips 1" wide and 6" long. Might sound heavy
but its not. Maple is light but strong,good for fire walls too. I get scrap pieces at
local cabinet shops,ply too. Most are more than happy to give it away.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:09 PM
gatreetop

Gluemaster gears are 71/2" from back of fire wall to middle of gears.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:29 PM
gatreetop

pic 1

Name:	Jh16302.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1389837  
Old 03-02-2010, 12:39 PM
gatreetop

pic2

Name:	Lj22991.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1389841  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.