Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Which Aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 12:05 PM
Longaly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Aircraft?

I am interested in converting a Ryobi 31cc engine for aircraft use. I will not be using electronic ignition.

My question is what type of aircraft can this engine be used in besides an Ultra Stick, Fly Baby, etc. Can they be used in any WWII fighters, aerobatic planes ( CAPS, EDGE, etc. ) or am I going to be limited to more "docile" types. I know the Stick isn't that docile, but I would just prefer not to have one right now.

I am more of a sport flier and would prefer something with power to spare and not something that just mushes around. I don't have to have something that will 3D either, although it would be nice, because I have 40 sized profiles for that.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:06 PM
Longaly

Default Which Aircraft?

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Is there anyone out there willing to give me some advice as to what kinds of planes they are flying with the Ryobi 31cc with magneto ignition?

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:52 PM
Riley

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which Aircraft?

I'm flying the Ryobi on a Ryan's Rebel. rcm plan. Great flying plane.Can't think of a WWII bird with a light enough wing loading.This engine is not exactly a powerhouse.Look for something 1000 +sq" & 10 to 14 lbs. 12lbs static thrust is about all you can squeeze out of a ryobi ,so the heavy iron might be to much to ask of it.If your in to building ,the ryan is a great basic design and could be "bashed" into a squint scale warbird without much weight gain.Very easy to change to low wing position.And the great thing about this plane !It lands at walk,and has intermediate aerobatic capabilities. Good luck ,Riley
Old 08-18-2003, 11:21 PM
Longaly

Default Which Aircraft?

Thanks for the reply Riley. I will look into the Ryan Rebel.

Did you "scratch" build it or did you find a laser cutting outfit to cut it for you?

Thanks again for your reply.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:56 AM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

Default For aerobatics, try....

... a Sig Four Star 120. Move the firewall back 2", install your rudder and elevator servos in the tail, and BINGO!, you have got yourself an unlimited yet stable aerobatic performer. Beef up the firewall and the tail area for the vibration.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:56 AM
atvracer

Default Which Aircraft?

hi

a friend of mine is building a Dynaflite Giant Chipmunk Kit 1.08-1.6,89" with the 31cc motor in it. it should fly very nice

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTV00&P=0
Old 08-19-2003, 03:18 AM
Riley

Default Which Aircraft?

Longaly,I cut the parts myself.There are not many. ribs(all the same) very few formers and a fire wall and the tail feathers are stick.Does help to have scroll saw but everything could be cut with a #11 blade. Ryan is usually on site from time to time to answer Question about building . Everything is on the plan for an easy build......Riley : also check scratch building topic for good info
Old 08-19-2003, 11:59 AM
Longaly

Default Which Aircraft?

Thanks for the input guys.

Was wondering if anyone has seen or heard of anyone putting the ryobi 31cc in a Lanier Stinger 120?

Thanks
Old 08-19-2003, 01:49 PM
glowplugboy

Default The Stinger 120 would be great!

But watch the weight.... the Stingers can get heavy with the foam core wings. Just watch your glue and punch a few lightning holes, and it should be fine.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:40 PM
Longaly

Default Which Aircraft?

Thanks for responding glowplugboy. I think I am leaning towards the Stinger.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:27 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Default Which Aircraft?

I just happen to be building a Bandito Grande (RCM Plans) and will be using a Ryobi in it. I expect it to have a little spare power. Mostly a lively sport plane.
Edwin
Old 08-19-2003, 11:52 PM
Flyguy2002-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default Which Aircraft?

Try going to www.rsengines.net and check out all the different planes that HAVE ryobi's on them. I have flown several different planes included a Chipmunk. If you'd like some pics feel free to drop me a line to

[email protected]
Old 08-20-2003, 12:51 AM
Longaly

Default Which Aircraft?

Flyguy2002,

Thanks for the link. I sent them an email to see if they had used the Ryobi on the Stinger 120. Their performance page didn't show the Ryobi as one of the engines they used on it, but a description below one of the pics talked about the Stinger being the test bed for all of their engines. I wait to hear from them.

Thanks again for the replies folks.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:18 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Default Which Aircraft?

Have a look at this review:

http://webpages.charter.net/rcfu/Kit...nSting120.html

If it flew well with a G23, then a Ryobi should do just as well. I've heard of people saving weight with the Stinger kits by replacing the doorskin fueselage sides with liteply, and doing built-up turtle deck instead of the stock ABS unit.

Personally, I think the 4*120 is a better kit.

As for Extra/Edge/Giles/etc., you can just about forget it. At roughly 4lbs overall weight, a magneto Ryobi 31cc engine would be too heavy for these kinds of planes.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:33 PM
Flyguy2002-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default Which Aircraft?

We are flying several variations of the Stinger kit including working on a totally BASHED unit. These planes are excellent planes and will do any maneuver other than total 3D.

The four star is an excellent plane as well. Several of our club memebers have one and some have MANY of them. I have a TON of pics and articles on both planes if anyone is interested.

Sincerely,
Fllyguy2002

[email protected]