Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Homelite 30cc gas/glow prospect..

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 04:02 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Homelite 30cc gas/glow prospect..

I checked the carb over on my Homelite 30cc that I want to run on glow fuel. Its a Chinese Zama carb with the numbers "H31C" and "73P" on the fuel inlet side, and "C1U" cast into the opposite side of the carb and "36" stamped on the mount lug near the High speed needle valve. Can one acquire gaskets and a diaphragm to run Alcohol fuel using this carb, that is if it is even suitable (big enough)? It is an emissions carb, having plastic limiters on the needles. These can be removed to adjust the needles further than the limiters would allow. Is there enough wiggle room on the needles of this carb to run on methanol or do I have to hunt down a walbro unit? The engine has good compression and doesnt look to have a lot of use.

I want to run it on glow because of the weight savings. I'm thinking of using it in a boat.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:46 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Homelite 30cc gas/glow prospect..

The problem is usually not the gaskets or the diaphragm but the amount of fuel they are capable of flowing.

The engine will still run lean with the needle out several turns.

The Walbro WT-499 was intended as an alky hall carb. It originally came on the glow version of the Zenoah G-23

it is a perfect size for the Homelite 30 $32

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...t.A/id.4131/.f

Old 07-04-2011, 07:01 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: w8ye

The problem is usually not the gaskets or the diaphragm but the amount of fuel they are capable of flowing.

The Walbro WT-499 was intended as an alky hall carb. It originally came on the glow version of the Zenoah G-23

Thanks W8ye. This thing would need the carb rebuilt anyway as its been setting for some time. I'm not totally sure I'm going to convert this engine for RC use just yet, but I wanted to know what it would take. I really want my next boat to run by air power but it my hull idea isnt going to work, I'll use it for my hovercraft idea instead.

Whats a good methanol/oil ratio in a homey 30? I usually run my gas 2 stroke weed eaters and chainsaws at 50:1 using full synthetic air-cooled oil. What synthetic oil other than klotz could I use with methanol or could I get away with using castor? I would make several mods to the engine for more power, so whatever oil will take the abuse and not gum the engine up is what I want to use.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:11 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Thanks W8ye. This thing would need the carb rebuilt anyway as its been setting for some time. I'm not totally sure I'm going to convert this engine for RC use just yet, but I wanted to know what it would take. I really want my next boat to run by air power but it my hull idea isnt going to work, I'll use it for my hovercraft idea instead.

Whats a good methanol/oil ratio in a homey 30? I usually run my gas 2 stroke weed eaters and chainsaws at 50:1 using full synthetic air-cooled oil. What synthetic oil other than klotz could I use with methanol or could I get away with using castor? I would make several mods to the engine for more power, so whatever oil will take the abuse and not gum the engine up is what I want to use.
Are you going to have it water cooled which also cools the exhaust? Best to read a lot about how to set up engines for boats to find out what works good. Capt,n
Old 07-04-2011, 08:11 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Are you going to have it water cooled which also cools the exhaust? Best to read a lot about how to set up engines for boats to find out what works good. Capt,n
Yeah, if a .46 won't push my hull, I'd strip the homelike down and run it as an inboard. I'd wrap brass tubing around the cylinder and use a pitot type fitting to pick up water. Using the homelite is a last resort.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:04 AM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wrapping tubing around the cylinder doesn't work very well.If you're going to need cooling get the fins turned down leaving the one above the exhaust alone.A place that has water jackets and will turn down your cylinder is Major Smackdown www.majorsmackdown.com About running a Homey on nitro.What's the cost of nitro fuel vs regular pump gas ? If you're looking for higher rpm's mod it or send it to chipbreakr on this site or JRCBD. He'll get you a few thousand more.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:58 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: Tidnab

Wrapping tubing around the cylinder doesn't work very well.If you're going to need cooling get the fins turned down leaving the one above the exhaust alone.A place that has water jackets and will turn down your cylinder is Major Smackdown www.majorsmackdown.com About running a Homey on nitro.What's the cost of nitro fuel vs regular pump gas ? If you're looking for higher rpm's mod it or send it to chipbreakr on this site or JRCBD. He'll get you a few thousand more.
I plan to run glow fuel with no nitro. If it will tolerate castor oil, I'd run my homebrew FAI fuel. Methanol doesnt burn as hot so I'm not real concerned with cooling. My biggest concern is having the right carb for alcohol. I'll do my own mods, I'm not hardcore enough to have someone else do a race port job. All I really plan to do to it is stuff the case, and raise the exhaust timing, and maybe the transfers if needed. I haven't had it apart to measure the timing yet. If someone has some good timing numbers, please share. I'll also need to track down a glow plug adapter. Will standard glow plugs work?
Old 07-06-2011, 07:18 AM
Tidnab

Glow plug adapter.At the bottom of the page. http://www.wackerengines.com/Other.htm
Old 07-06-2011, 07:33 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Glow plug adapter.At the bottom of the page. http://www.wackerengines.com/Other.htm
I suppose I'd need a prop hub too. Thanks for the link.

Anyone know what these things have for compression stock?
Old 07-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Tidnab

The twister manifold would be another thing to think about ordering as it makes for an easrier throttle setup on a Homelite.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:08 AM
Tidnab

What exactly is the type boat hull you're using this engine in.You mentioned water cooling which is usually for an inboard or outboard engine,then you mentioned a hovercraft and needing a prop hub,which most air powered boats are air cooled.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:39 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

What exactly is the type boat hull you're using this engine in.You mentioned water cooling which is usually for an inboard or outboard engine,then you mentioned a hovercraft and needing a prop hub,which most air powered boats are air cooled.
Actually, I don't have a specific home for it yet. I have two project ideas I'm working on. The first is a mono hull deep V airboat. Wood hull and a glow .46 for power. I have to weigh the materials needed for the hull and if too heavy, the homelite would take it's place and be set as an inboard because the air prop would need to be too big. If I have to use the homelite, most of the head would be out in the open anyway, so extra cooling probably won't be needed. If the homelite Isnt used in the one, I'm going to use it on a r/c hovercraft.

I'm hoping to just use my .46 aero engine and not need the homelite. I'm more or less trying to figure costs of converting the gasser if I need it.

Sorry for the confusion. I thought about that after I posted it but I'm at work and had stuff to run and do.