Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Pinning a piston

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 10:01 AM
rcairboater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinning a piston

I want to add a Frank Bowman ring to my 25cc Homelite engine. Anyone care to explain how to do this and what tools are needed?
Thanks.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:45 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, it is a pretty tricky operation, and I highly recommend that you send it to Frank Bowman and have it done. But, here goes...

The pin should be about the diameter of the ring groove. I use a little piece of gas welding rod. You use a drill press to drill a perfectly straight hole about .003" smaller than the size of the pin in the ring groove. You want to locate it where there are no ports in the cylinder, like in between the transfer and the exhaust port. This is critical. Then I use a bit of JB Weld on the pin, and with the piston held in a padded "V" block, very carefully drive the pin into the hole with a hammer and a small pin punch. (It's a three handed deal.) Start it straight and don't miss, or you'll ruin the ring land. Usually you size the pin to be the full depth of the ring land plus the distance of the hole you drilled, so as to be able to handle the pin and drive it in properly. But the pin has to end up being only 1/2 the depth of the ring groove. So you have to very, very carefully grind or file down the pin until it is only sticking up halfway into the ring groove. Once again, this is critical as if you don't get it right, you will either break Frank's special ring when you assemble the engine, or have a tight spot there because the pin is holding the ring up. Not good! The other thing is most people don't realize that the piston ring must seal on the bottom of the ring groove in the piston as well as against the cylinder wall. If you damage the ring land, or groove, the ring won't seal well and the engine will be down on power.

AV8TOR
Old 03-19-2015, 12:40 PM
rcairboater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What size gas rod and size type drill bit?
Old 03-19-2015, 04:52 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the width of the ring groove. The rod/pin should be the diameter (more or less) of the width of the ring groove. The drill bit should be .003" smaller than the rod, to obtain a press fit for the pin.

AV8TOR