Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Glow to Gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 08:47 PM
Dean Wise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow to Gas

Can a ys 1.4 or a Saito 1.8 which both run on glow be switched to gas. I know they can be switched to ignition on glow but what about ignition to gas.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:56 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

Default RE: Glow to Gas

I would highly doubt that man...id be interested in hearing that, but why not buty a G23 or something which is less money or even a G62...they are all equivalent in price

DAN
Old 01-16-2004, 10:20 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Certainly it can be done. However, considering both of those engines carry street prices of $400+ each, and adding another $150 for conversion kit on top of that, you could've easily bought a DA50, BME50, or any of the other top of the line mid-size gassers, why would you want to do it?

And you still have to run at least 12-15% oil in your gasoline.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:11 PM
Dean Wise

Okay here's the deal,I race 1/5 scale cars that use 2 stroke RC230 zenoahs. and I'm going to try the switch to 4=stroke. but were only allowed a 750cc worth of fuel. now figure how much fuel I would need running glow at 2 oz per minute when we have 30 minute mains. the 750cc worth will do it on the 2 stroke with gas but again the glow looks like 2 oz per minute. so I can handle the funds but has someone actually did the conversion successfully in eitheir ogf these motors?
Old 01-17-2004, 12:30 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

The YS is total a non starter because of the silicone parts in the fuel system. The Saito is possible but you will be trading HP for MPG.
I have done an ENYA 120 to gas fun project to make it right, but the carb, ignition and oiling sysem cost as much as the engine.
Have you looked at the Stihl 26cc 4C engine its supercharged which helps a bit with the power. You are only looking at 1.5hp.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:27 AM
Dean Wise

are you talking about the new 4-mix engine. if so I checked it out and it looks good but you have to buy it as a weedeater for 369.00 and then I would want to put the CH ignitions on it. and then powerm wise it might not do the job.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:55 PM
AutoMike

Dean. You'd be spending at least that much on a stock ys or saito and still would need to work out how you'll run it on gas. The power will be greatly lowered on those engines when you turn to gas anyway, you might be close to the mark if you did get the stihl engine. I would bet that the 4-cycle trimmer engines make more torque than a glow 4-cycle converted to gas and in racing more torque can easily be a better option even if the hp is slightly down. The hp might be the same after the ys or saito is running on gas. If funds arent the hold up, then jump in with both feet and find out.