Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

33cc homelite

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 10:11 PM
rev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 33cc homelite

Tmoth, glad to hear you got your 33 in the air. Between the 33 and 45 cc I got 8 motors and fly them all. I would like to (try to make a twin 33 or 45, but no time so far this winter)

rsjr, the 33 will swing a 20x10 great and the 45cc will tun a 22 and 24 inch prop great
Old 01-27-2004, 12:00 AM
rsjr

Thanks for the info rev. I love to experiment with different props and I will try the the 20x10 as soon as I can. I think the 45cc homelite would work great on my curtis hawk. Ron
Old 02-02-2004, 11:38 AM
Tmoth4
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rsjr,

What are those engine mounts you have on your engine in post #5? ..the black T-arms.

rev,

The Ziroli P38 might be a good one for two 45cc Homies!

Jim
Old 02-02-2004, 01:09 PM
rsjr

Jim, that mount is a GP .90-.120 size that i modified to work on the homelite. My LHS had a large aluminum iso mount but I could not justify spending nearly 40 bucks on it. I was anxious to try out my new conversion so I used whatever was laying around. I'm going to order a couple of Wackerengines mounts soon, one regular and one large size. Then I'll be set. Ron
Old 02-02-2004, 02:03 PM
Tmoth4

Ron,

I saw those mount on the wackerengines site. let me know how you like them.

Jim
Old 02-02-2004, 03:33 PM
rsjr

O/k Jim, will do. Thanks guys for all the input. I opened up the port on the ryobi muffler a little bit to match the homelite and it is an easy bolt on affair. I now have 5 flights on the Stinson with the 33cc homelite and I just love this engine. It starts easy, idles low and has good power. The ryobi flywheel works great and I have not messed with it since I first bolted it on. Ron
Old 02-07-2004, 04:31 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello-----RSjr----I have only one Question about your converion. I would like to get a couple of these saws and do that also, but mabey I have missed something here in a post earlier. But why couldn't you use the flywheel that came on the bandit instead of using the 30 cc homelite or ryobi flywheel?? Thanks hooker53
Old 02-07-2004, 06:54 PM
rsjr

Hello hooker 53. I certainly could have used the flywheel off the saw but I don't have a way to trim the fins off. I would have to take the flywheel to a machine shop with a lathe to have it done right. I had a ryobi flywheel with a nice prop hub on hand ready to go so why not try it? As far as I can tell the newer ryobi flywheel is identical to the homelite's. I have 7 flights on the Stinson with this combo and the homelite runs great. One day I'll have the homelite mag cut down and I'll have a spare.

Ron
Old 02-07-2004, 07:15 PM
Tmoth4

Default RE: RE: 33cc homelite

Hey Ron, I cut down the fins on all my flywheels with a hacksaw and files. You just put it on a good flat surface, mark it carefully, and check to make sure the top surface is perfectly level. It's slower than using a milling machine(which I don't have) but it's worked on all 5 of the conversions I've done.

Jim
Old 02-07-2004, 08:53 PM
rsjr

Jim, I cut down a ryobi a while back with the same methods you're describing. I went one step further by cutting off the shaft of an old worn out 38cc mcculloch just forward of the counterweight. I bolted the donor shaft to the ryobi flywheel and chucked it on to my drill press. I lowered the rotating flywheel (low speed) down onto fresh,course sandpaper placed on the table. The end result was a square, nice looking flywheel. I had bad vibration problems with the ryobi mounted on my Curtis Hawk though, and after trial and error I got the flywheel balanced pretty close.

Here is a mock up of my "technique" I want to find some big magnets for a homemade balancer so I can at least balance the flywheel nuetral.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59450.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	98479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77542.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	98480  
Old 02-07-2004, 09:16 PM
Tmoth4

I guess we have to do what we can with what we have. My Homelites don't seem to have a vibration problem. They run pretty smooth in spite of my crude metalworking. The Zenoahs I have vibrate more than any of my Homelites!

Jim
Old 02-07-2004, 10:45 PM
rsjr

I'm with you Jim! I made all my conversion parts (mount, prop hub, carb spacer) for the 31cc ryobi. I bought a 69$ chinese drill press and I was set. I found all my conversion materials at the local recycling plant (aluminum square tubing for the mount, aluminum plate for the carb spacer) and at the local hardware store ( tap, hole-saw bit, ryobi weed eater,etc.) At the sporting goods store in the reloading section I found some aluminum #10 powder bushings for 3$ each that worked great as a ryobi short shaft prop hub. (run a 5/16x24 tap through it).
Recently I made my first purchase ever on ebay, a converted 31cc ryobi with 3 extra engines for parts. (100$) The ryobi proved to be underpowered for my TF Stinson Reliant so I bought the 33cc homelite with the intention of using the ryobi for parts. (I hate wasting money). Live and learn I guess.

Ron
Old 02-07-2004, 10:54 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply RSjr. Your post has been very helpful here. It cleared up some stuff. You say the 30 cc Homelite was just not punchy enough for you SR-9. I have a 88 SR-8 that I think would be about right for the 30 cc. Time will tell. I looked at the Bandits right after I made my first post to you and they really look interesting. That snap-start feature has me wondering if they (homelite) haven't done something with the timing like the CH-Ignitions do electronically. If thats the case "I will" end up with a few of these before they go off sell. Ha. Ha. Later Hooker53
Old 02-07-2004, 11:06 PM
rsjr

Here's a pic of the Curtis Hawk with the 33cc homelite conversion. I'ts almost ready to fly. I tried something different this time by mounting the engine upright. I want to make an aluminum "header" for the exhaust. (I saw one on a G-62 powered AT-6 racer that looked really cool) If all goes well (weather) I should be flying the Hawk tomorrow. I'll post a couple more pic's soon.

Ron

Name:	Jh14547.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	98535  
Old 02-08-2004, 12:39 AM
Tmoth4

Ron,

You're gonna have to go out and get another chainsaw saw so you can get your Stinson flying again!

I'm gonna start the conversions of the two I have for the Me110, maybe tomorrow. I received the prop hubs from Wackerengines the other day. It'd be nice if the weather would warm up a little here so I could run them a bit.

Jim
Old 02-08-2004, 01:07 AM
rsjr

Jim, the Stinson is in the "hanger" waiting for paint and repairs. The homelite is going to be fully broken in on the Hawk and will be ready for service with the Fokker D8. Please post some pic's of your conversions mounted on the Me110. Did you find some suitable mounts?

Come to think of it, I do need another saw... or two...

Ron
Old 02-08-2004, 01:20 AM
Tmoth4

I made my own mount for the 33 that's in the DR1. I used 1/8" G10 board for the adapter plates and built up a beam mount from layers of 1/4" ply. I might do that again. Did you order the mounts from wackerengines? I might just order those anyway.

It must be great to be able to just go out and test fly something in your backyard! ...although it looks pretty cold!

I was reading the posts above where you guys were talking about the flywheel brands. I looked at my Ryobi and sure enough it has the Phelan flywheel on it. All my Homelites have Walbro flywheels. Maybe that's why the Ryobi doesn't run consistantly. I was thinking of switching them to see what happens.

Jim
Old 02-08-2004, 02:52 AM
rsjr

Jim, I was going to order the wacker mounts and the D8 last wednesday and my wife "reminded" me that it was her turn to spend money(pay bills). At 18$ the wacker mounts look real good, I'd be hard pressed to make 'em any cheaper. They appear to be made from an extruded aluminum "T" channel. I bet if I visited the recycling plants I could come up with a chunk of aluminum "T" channel or beam for a couple of dollars and make my own mounts. I might have to go to town monday and do a little scrounging...

It is great to fly from my backyard!!! You would be amazed at how well r/c planes fly in cold, dense air..

My 33cc homelite flywheel is a phelon.
The twin ring 31cc ryobi is walbro.
The older single ring ryobi is uknown, the markings are machined off.

Ron
Old 02-08-2004, 09:06 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There's a difference in the ignition modules between Phelon and Walbro too.

With two relatively identical engines except for the brand of flywheel/ignition module, you'll find that the spark generated by the Walbro is much more blue than that produced by the Phelon at the same crank speed.

Yet you can cross them up. A Phelon module will work on a Walbro flywheel and the other way around if the are for the same type engine.

Enjoy

Jim
Old 02-08-2004, 02:22 PM
rsjr

w8ye, I follow you now, I never thought to look at the ignition modules. What your'e saying is the walbro ignition module gives a hotter spark, regardless of the brand of flywheel.

My 33cc homelite has the phelon ignition module. I am assuming the flywheel that I "borrowed" off the ryobi is a phelon because it has the 21870 casting # on it.

My newer ryobi has the walbro ignition/flywheel and does not have the 21870#.

Thanks.

Ron

Name:	Vt56620.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	98692  
Old 02-08-2004, 06:36 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think most of the newer Homelites have Phelons right now. First thing you know, they will change back. I had a Ryobi that I used as a weed whacker for 15 years and used the devil out of it every summer. Now its a model engine and it still has the same Phelon flywheel - ignition unit on it.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 02-08-2004, 08:58 PM
rsjr

I'm certainly impressed with these little gas engines. I got tired of spending 15$ a gallon on glow fuel. If I remember correctly I only got 8-10 flights per gallon with my OS .61 and 15oz. tank. My ryobi's would buzz along happily for nearly an hour on 24 oz's of cheap, readily available gasoline.

Luckily it stopped snowing today and I got to fly my Curtis Hawk late this afternoon. I gutted the muffler that came with the 33cc homelite and bolted it on. I flew the plane for 20 min. and got a couple of in-flight pic's. I landed the plane early because the engine was running a little rough. I did not re-adjust the needles like I should have. I've noticed that different mufflers and even open exhaust (different amounts of back-pressure) will affect the idle and high end on the homelite. Tomorrow I'll reset the needles and if the weather holds I'll get in several more flights.

Name:	Nl30797.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	98831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65715.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	98832   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58350.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	98833  
Old 02-08-2004, 11:44 PM
Tmoth4

Ron,

You're having way too much fun with that engine! How did the Hawk do with the 33cc? ...performance-wise.

Jim
Old 02-09-2004, 11:51 AM
rsjr

It flew o/k Jim, even with the homelite not putting out full power. If it stops snowing today I'll re-adjust the needles and put the hawk to the test, loops, rolls, etc. The plane seemed to fly a little tail-heavy and required a bit of up elevator trim to fly level. I may need to add some more nose-weight or better yet space the engine forward a bit. I think I also need to adjust the incidence on the upper wing a tad but I'm not sure how much.

Ron
Old 02-09-2004, 08:29 PM
rsjr

Once again I waited all day for the wind to die down and the snow to stop falling...I got two 25 min. flights in on the Hawk after re-adjusting the carb. Man, I love this Bi-plane! It flys like a big trainer. I did a number of loops and rolls and the 33cc homelite ran good and did'nt miss a beat. There is more "goop" on the plane than I expected to see. Does this look normal for 70 minutes of flight time?

Jim, the 33cc homelite flys the hawk very scale like (the way I like it), loops and rolls require a shallow dive to perform. The plane will fly at 1/4 throttle to maintain level flight (into the wind) but just barely. It seems to like 3/4 to wide open the best. Two 33's on your ME110 will be a blast to fly and might require a "little" throttle management.

Name:	Rp43384.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	99288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89519.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	99289  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.