Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Horsepower ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 11:35 PM
Dean Wise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horsepower ?

does anyone of you smart guys out there know of the difference in power between runnung on gas verses glow fuel. any charts or conversion expieriences.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:33 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Horsepower ?

G26 gas 9000 rpm, glow 9600 rpm...
Old 01-24-2004, 01:26 AM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

Help me out if I am not completely accurate with this one, fellas. Glow will put out more power than the equivalent gasser up until about 35 or 40cc's, then gasers start to win the pulling contest. Fuel economy becomes an issue, too.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:27 AM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

alcohol should win every time when it comes to power, BUT some engines will still need the ignition system in order to run good on alcohol.

the weedies and saws have relatively low compression so when switching to alcohol you can also up the compression and advance the ignition if you want all the advantages

dave
Old 01-24-2004, 10:04 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

A 289cc twin picks up at least 500 rpm switching from gas to glow, runs the same with ignition or glow plugs...The G26 in the above post was tested both ways..Only change from stock was the carb, used a carb from a glow G23...Walbro WT499....
The 289 twin ran just as good timed a 22 BTDC as it did timed at 28 BTDC...The only reason we used ignition on that one was the compression was so high the center of the glow plugs would burn out from the heat...I had 5 glow plugs in each head. The center melted out of the middle one..The heat coming out the hole melted the steel hex on the center plug just like a cutting torch....We put spark plugs and ignition on it with glow fuel, 0 nitro, and had no more problems..Ran exactly the same...
Glow plugs last indefinitely in a big gasser..We ran the same glow plugs in our 289 at the races for 2 years..When the plane crashed and demolished the engine the glow plugs were still in it.
I have them here, maybe they'll get framed..The plugs are McCoy #9......
Old 01-24-2004, 10:50 AM
tkg

Most of the time glo gains power, the major exception to this "rule" is the large ST engines. Going from glo to gas with a timed spark usually results in a gain of 300-500 rpm.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:34 PM
Dean Wise

thanks for the info,it's appreciated.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:19 AM
antslake

ORIGINAL: RCIGN1

A 289cc twin picks up at least 500 rpm switching from gas to glow, runs the same with ignition or glow plugs...The G26 in the above post was tested both ways..Only change from stock was the carb, used a carb from a glow G23...Walbro WT499....
The 289 twin ran just as good timed a 22 BTDC as it did timed at 28 BTDC...The only reason we used ignition on that one was the compression was so high the center of the glow plugs would burn out from the heat...I had 5 glow plugs in each head. The center melted out of the middle one..The heat coming out the hole melted the steel hex on the center plug just like a cutting torch....We put spark plugs and ignition on it with glow fuel, 0 nitro, and had no more problems..Ran exactly the same...
Glow plugs last indefinitely in a big gasser..We ran the same glow plugs in our 289 at the races for 2 years..When the plane crashed and demolished the engine the glow plugs were still in it.
I have them here, maybe they'll get framed..The plugs are McCoy #9......

Thats some good stuff right there. I love Hot rods be it in the air or on the ground.