Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

What's a good alternative for chain oil?

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

What's a good alternative for chain oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 03:47 PM
mikenlapaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's a good alternative for chain oil?

My Homelite 45 (two color case should have old style carb) arrived from (Harbor Freight) today. I want to put some run time on engine before disassembly and prefer not to damage chain and bar by running without oil. What is a good alternative. motor oil (wt)? , ATF ?, 2 cycle oil?
Old 11-18-2004, 04:01 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What's a good alternative for chain oil?

If you're not going to actually cut with it, anything would work. For cutting, I've used heavy weight motor oil, or lightweight gear oil and never noticed a difference over using regular bar/chain oil.

To load the motor and get a good breakin, I would cut up some things with it. Try to not to cut up any furniture though. It's best to keep the wife happy and they don't have much of a sense of humor sometimes!

AV8TOR
Old 11-18-2004, 04:42 PM
Ralphbf
My Feedback: (27)

I have a lot of experence with chainsaws.
Spend the money and buy Stihl winter grade bar oil.

Ralph
Old 11-18-2004, 06:14 PM
Mighty Mouse-RCU
My Feedback: (145)

Why not use chainsaw bar oil? Wal-Mart $3/gal.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:40 PM
mikenlapaz

check my location....No dealers, No Wal-Mart, local population (myself included) take offense when we loose are shade. (local lumber saws wet pine to size, wonder if they need some help?)

av8tor1977 Let's see where's a good patch of cacti and no observers! Should have bought it last year and would have had lots of hurricane downed trees to work on. There is not a speck of sawdust or dirt on the chain gears. 50wt Pemex looks like a good bet.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:52 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old drained oil from your car works well if it doesn't have any water or trash in it. It's thinner than real bar oil so the saw will run out of oil before it does gas. You'll have to keep a eye on it.

I used drained oil in my old Homelite XL for 25 years. Didn't ever have any wear problems. I sold the saw because I couldn't take the vibration anymore. The handle wasn't isolated.

enjoy,

Jim
Old 11-18-2004, 07:44 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Yeah, Ocotillos aren't much of a challenge. Saguaros maybe, but if it falls on you it will kill ya! If there's a train nearby, you might find railroad ties, but they are soaked in creosote and that sure makes a mess of things. That's why I said stay away from the furniture; I figured it might be all you could find to cut up!!!!

All kidding aside... it would be nice to put a load on it and really get it up to temp, but if you can't, just running it for a bit will help the initial ring seal, and it will start much easier when you convert it.

Good luck,
AV8TOR
Old 11-18-2004, 08:07 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try puting a prop on the saw...all you shold have to take off is recoil...and thread on a prop adapter. STP oil treatment, mixed with motor oil is a good bar lube!
Old 11-20-2004, 05:26 AM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

80 weight gear oil is what my dad has been using for years with no probs and he cuts mostly hard stuff like olive and eucalyptus: www.roots-holyland.com

i always thought the only difference is that bar oil is something a little more environmentally friendly.

dave