Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

2-Needle replacement carb for Walbro WA-229?

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

2-Needle replacement carb for Walbro WA-229?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 09:21 AM
oslim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-Needle replacement carb for Walbro WA-229?

Would appreciate any advice on choosing a replacement carb. The WA-229 is on a Sears 24cc Blower/Vac. As this is my first conversion, I would prefer to stay close to the 9.52 mm venturi until I become more familiar with this engine. Also I would prefer to keep the primer bulb system as this seems to aid starting on the other 2-stroke & 4-stroke lawn & garden engines I have used. I know this Poulon won't produce max power but I would like to gain some experiece tinkering with it in blower configuration before I try coverting it .

This engine seems to run well at WOT & part throttle once I get it started & warmed up, but it is difficult to start under all conditions. It seems to have good compression, good spark, plug insulator burns dry with a light brown color & primer bulb draws fuel up to the carb & sends it back to the tank. Engine will fire if primed with ether, but when using the carb choke, choking with finger over the intake or squirting fuel-oil mix into the intake it either acts like it hasn't got any fuel at all or goes to a flooded condition with wet spark plug.

When it wouldn't start after running at WOT, I squirted some fuel mix into the intake and observed that it boiled away immediately. Is this normal?

Thank you for your help.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:27 AM
oslim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2-Needle replacement carb for Walbro WA-229?

This blower/Vac has sticker that reads " EPA/Calif ". Does anyone know if the engine is modified for California Emissions?
Old 12-03-2004, 09:34 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2-Needle replacement carb for Walbro WA-229?

Sounds to me like two things: It's not broken in yet, and it has a crappy California emissions type carb that is running too lean. I think with more running time and a different carb you will see a big difference. You are correct to stay with a carb of 9.5mm venturi. All these carbs use the same bolt pattern, so any carb you can find with two adjustment needles for the mixtures, (3 counting the one for the idle adjustment speed), and a 9.5mm venturi should work. Try small engine shops, or some of the suppliers here in the forum.

Good luck,
AV8TOR