Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Conversion for Texas Hurricane

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 01:08 AM
Texas1
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Conversion for Texas Hurricane

Newbie here. I did some searches in the forum, but did not get a good feel for the correct engine. I would like to convert a motor for use with a Texas Hurricane. The converting of a motor holds more enjoyment for me than a ready to bolt on motor. Also I am mostly a heli guy. Just started flying planks on the side this year , but ready to move up from the 60 size. Found some Mikitas, but I don't think they are enough CC. I believe the models are 250 & 251 line trimmer motors. Anyway any info or suggestion in the direction to go are much appreciated.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:35 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Conversion for Texas Hurricane

A Homelite 25 from a $49.95 weedeater makes a good one to start on...8000+ rpm with a 18 inch prop.....Easy conversion....
Old 12-07-2004, 01:52 AM
KenLambert
My Feedback: (107)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A poulan 54cc is perfect for the texas hurrican there is one being flown by the famed FlipFlop and it flys great

Buy the way if you run into Carl Orbison would you have him give me a call ? I don't have his # sense he moved to his new house .

and I don't think the 25cc will do this plane justice if it will fly it
Old 12-07-2004, 02:04 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

A good friend of mine flies a Texas Hurricane with a CH ign equipped Poulan 46cc. IMHO you need to keep the engine package less than 4lbs to do well.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:31 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Sorry, didn't know what size the Texas Hurricane is...DUH....
Old 12-07-2004, 09:47 AM
Texas1

The Hurricane is around 13 to 15 lbs. It was design for a Brison 2.4 to 3.2. Thanks for the input. I will look around and see if I can come up with a poulan 46cc to 54cc. Ken I will ask one of the Tyler club members if he know Carl and tell him to give you a call. I do most of my flying at the Bullard field south of Tyler. Less people and more friendly to heli's.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:30 PM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

I fly the Tx Hurricane with a 2.8 (46cc) Poulan. I got the engine from Volfy. I use the GP giant scale mount that comes with the GP "Patty". The poulan has been very reliable so far, and is more than enough for the TX Hurricane. Do yourself a favor and junk the stock landing gear. Its just too flimsy and you will wind up buying a lot of expensive props. The GP Wagstaff gear will fit with only slight modification. Same for the canopy.
Z
Old 12-08-2004, 12:05 AM
Mooney
My Feedback: (30)

I'm flying my Texas Hurricane with a Poulan 42cc conversion that was done by Scott Baldridge. I'm using a Bisson pitts muffler,without any noticeable power loss, and it's extremely quiet. It flies great at 15lbs. The vertical is excellent and the engine never skips a beat.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:37 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: zx32tt

I fly the Tx Hurricane with a 2.8 (46cc) Poulan. I got the engine from Volfy. I use the GP giant scale mount that comes with the GP "Patty". The poulan has been very reliable so far, and is more than enough for the TX Hurricane. Do yourself a favor and junk the stock landing gear. Its just too flimsy and you will wind up buying a lot of expensive props. The GP Wagstaff gear will fit with only slight modification. Same for the canopy.
Z
Old 12-08-2004, 02:56 PM
twostroker
My Feedback: (37)

Not a very good picture but it is the only one I have of the Texas Hurricane with GP Patty Wagstaff gear and canopy. Can you see it...it is in there somewhere...second from left.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64222.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	200789  
Old 12-08-2004, 03:45 PM
Texas1

How about a homelite 45cc?
Old 12-08-2004, 03:48 PM
KenLambert
My Feedback: (107)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 45 should work just fine
Old 12-08-2004, 03:53 PM
twostroker
My Feedback: (37)

I would bet it would be a good choice. And talk about an easy conversion. My brother has one converted, it only needed a prop hub and it was done. We bench ran it but never flew it, seemed really strong on the bench with a 20x10. Do not remember the RPM, but I do remember being bummed(just paid full price for name brand engine). It also mounts like a glow engine if I remember correctly.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:59 PM
Texas1

Thanks
Old 12-16-2004, 05:01 AM
mikenlapaz

Texas1

For the Homie 45, do a search in the SPAD forum. Chris posted some pics and linked to his site for a good photo history of conversion. Stock ignition under 4#
Old 12-16-2004, 11:24 PM
Texas1

Yes, I have gotten some great info from spadworl.net. Got Gas
Old 12-24-2004, 11:38 AM
rsrogers
My Feedback: (10)

The Homelight 45 works great on the Tx. Hurricane!! I built one a year or so ago & installed the 45 with the stock ign & used a Pitts muffler from Slimline. The bolt pattern is almost exact from one of the Zenoha engines (38 or 45 I think.) I had to do a little firewall mod to get the muff to clear on the bottom but the set up worked great. I had a little mishap with it & sold it to a fellow member & he's flying it with the same set up except he changed to the B&B muffler modified to fit the 45. The plane has unlimited vertical & flies excellent. When I had it the all up weight was 15lbs exact with the 45 & balanced perfect. This is definatly a good conversion engine for this plane.

I woudnt mind having it back if I can get him to part with it!!

Oh yea TNT made a landing gear for a fellow club member who has a Hurricane also. Its a little taller & wider. While mine was "being repaired" he sent my gear to them to have somethig to go by & it came out perfect so you guys might want to check with TNT to see if they saved a blue print or something.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:43 AM
rsrogers

I dont know if you can tell that well but here is a pic of my friends Hurricane with the TNT gear. He's using a BME 50 swinging a 22" prop with plenty of clearence & no where near flimsy like the stock.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11545.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	206406  
Old 12-24-2004, 11:59 PM
Texas1

Thanks for the addition info. I am also considering using the canopy for the extra as was suggested. I have dismantle the saw. There is some carbon build up on the cylinder walls and piston. I am going to take the head to the local saw shop and see if they can hone. I am going to replace the piston and ring while I have it apart.

Are most using a custom mount for the motor or is there a dealer one that works well?
Old 12-25-2004, 07:35 AM
rsrogers

For mine & my friends we used the Hanger 9 alum. 120 size mounts. I'm not sure if there still aval. but if so they work great.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:40 PM
mikenlapaz

Got any more pics of the plane up close like the underside of the tail and tail gear? Did you have to relocate servos or battery(s) significantly from manuf. suggested locations for balancing?
What size servos are recommended or used? Is there a review on plane? Googled and did not see. Got my interest aroused!
Old 12-25-2004, 10:37 PM
bentgear

Mike there is a review of the plane right here on RCU and sveral threads. Look for the Kangke Texas Hurricane.

Good flying plane. Mine has a 2.4 Brison and weight is 14 lb, 12 oz. This is my second one. The first I thought needed more mods than it realy did and the weight was right at 16 lb.

Ed M.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:55 PM
rsrogers

I have more pics but where I dont have a clue. I got a new computer & all the pics I had on my old one were stored on CD's. If I can hunt some up I'll post them.

On mine I used Hitec 625 MG servos on Ailerions & Elevators, a 645 MG on the rudder and of coarse a standard on the throttle. I placed everything where the Manufacture recomended & had no balance problems what so ever. My friends is slightly more tail heavy than mine was, only difference being his engine is slightly lighter, and his lands with a slight nose high attitude with a little more throttle on it where as mine settled into a nice level to nose slightly down sink rate. With either plane though landings were "trainer" like. Very stable & predictable.

If you have never flown one of the hurricanes but have flown an aerobatic plane you would never guess they belong to the same family. There an excellent aircraft & I would recomend them to anyone (with a little experience) wanting to move up to a larger plane. Also very well built w/ excellent hardware

You can check out the home page of our club web site. It has mine & my friends Hurricanes along with my P.W. Extra
http://takeoff.to/mash