Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Finding the right Ryobi trimmer

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 09:16 AM
SmokinHole
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finding the right Ryobi trimmer

A few weeks ago there was some discussion about Ryobi`s that had 1 or 2 ring pistons and or "slots" cut in the cly head. I just got a Ryobi 705r 31cc trimmer that was "non-california compliant". Come to find it has 2 ring piston, no slots and 2 needle carb. So im convinced that the slots are for EPA emmisions compliance. Am i right to assume that in searching for a Poulan 46cc or Homelite 45cc chain saw, that i would also want a "not-California compliant" saw. Seems like all i have been able to find, are compliant. All this may not effect power that much, but i would think every little gain is a plus. One other thing i found with this particular model was the "body" or plate that evrything bolts to, is formed with the crank case, where an older model i had, this plate was bolted to the crank case. Seems to be ok though, just requires a lot of grinding to get rid of it. Just thought some folks out there might not realize that there are differences in certain models when trying to find a trimmer or saw for conversion purposes.

Gregg
Old 12-11-2004, 08:47 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Finding the right Ryobi trimmer

If you have a choice, never, ever, buy any thing that is California emission compliant. Cars to weedeaters.

We are not just talking about power, but also how a motor handles. The "oh my god" non compliant motors are not set up so lean that they don't run properly. I would still like someone to convince me that a motor that is lean misfiring doesn't put out more emissions that one that is running as it should.

Just my 2 pennies worth...

AV8TOR