Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

Looking for good conversion for Aeroworks 29% Katana

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Looking for good conversion for Aeroworks 29% Katana

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 03:36 AM
phattalon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for good conversion for Aeroworks 29% Katana

This will be my first gasser. I have been reading many other posts about gas conversions. The katana calls for a 50cc engine like the da50 and the bme50. I have seen many good results with conversions in this size. Some being the echo 44, I am told is the same as a bme44, also the stihl 56cc and 60cc. One post was showing a stihl 56cc right in the 3.5lb range with about 30lbs of thrust. I am trying to get some ones oppinion on which one would be a good first motor. I have trying to keep the price down. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:00 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Default RE: Looking for good conversion for Aeroworks 29% Katana

I saw a few Echo 50cc chainsaw on Ebay from time to time, and yes it is the same engine as the BME 50. One of them was a brand new powerhead only for less than $200. I came close to snatching up that one, but decided it was too much trouble. I can easily buy a used but not abused G-62 for around $200 and get a CH Synchrospark Quick mount system for a little over $100. IMHO, that is a much easier conversion with the most bang for the buck. With a little work, you can easily get a G-62 to weigh less than 4lbs.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:10 PM
phattalon

Thanks for the information Volfy. It is quite hard around me to find a used g62. No one will give them up, and i dont blame them. My dad has 3 and they run excellent. I am still going to look around here locally because i got the plane for christmas and i have all of the servos laying around and i am trying to keep it as cheap as possible.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:23 PM
4 stroken ron
My Feedback: (29)

I sure would like to find one of those G62s for $200. I have never seen one that cheap.
Ron
Old 12-20-2004, 11:25 AM
plane krazy

Heard lots of good things about the da-50. My buddy Dale swears by them. Has a da-100 in his extra. I just got my katana and plan on putting a da-50 in it. It is a beauty of a plane so go with the best!
Old 12-20-2004, 07:55 PM
okiercer

i bought a g-62 plus a byrons christian eagle for 200 flew great now have it on a ace 120 ultimate okiercer