Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

AM radio and Ryobi

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 11:21 AM
Orvie6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AM radio and Ryobi

Need some help... I am just getting back into RC after a about a ten year absence. I aquired an airframe of what looks like a Stevens Akro of about 78 inch span. It had a motormount for an OS 120 4-stroke in it. No radio or engine. I have converted the Ryobi 31 cc engine with magneto ignition and have installed an OLD Circus (JR) 4 channel AM radio. It is on the 72 mhz system. The plane weighs 14 lbs. RTF. Would this setup be ok to fly? Will/should I expect radio interference? I know this are going to me answered with a 'depends', but would like some comments... Thank you
Old 01-18-2005, 12:59 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: AM radio and Ryobi

We flew gassers (G38, G62, and Q35) with old Kraft and Proline radios before AM was used..set up correctly they worked fine...
Old 01-18-2005, 01:03 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

2 things to consider: the AM radio is OK, but you need to be sure it has been upgraded to narrow band. If it is not narrow band, you are subject to causing interference with another channel and you are subject to getting shot down by another channel. Narrow band has been required since 1991. The other thing, be sure you are using a resistor plug. The plug that comes on your engine will drive your receiver crazy with interference. Welcome back, and good luck.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:09 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does your JR Radio look something like this Circus 6 channel TX? The other is a X347. Both work real good with Aerpfly Pro Deluxe....lots of fun!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11594.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	217088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28069.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	217089  
Old 01-18-2005, 08:38 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've flown gassers with AM as well. If you do the standard things like keep the ignition system 12" away from the radio system, use a resistor spark plug, etc., you should be fine. If it passes a range check with the antenna down and your engine running at full throttle, you should be fine.

I'm more worried about flying a hot plane after a long absence. Any chance of flying something a little easier for a few flights to re-warm those thumbs? (Don't want to see you crash a nice project and take another "long absence"...)

Good luck,
AV8TOR
Old 01-19-2005, 08:47 AM
Orvie6

Avi8tor,
I have been flying with other club members (thier aircraft, buddy box, etc.) last year and have maintained my proficiency (what little I had!!!) and have also been playing with the old Goldberg Mig target dorne. (I used to fly those for the Army a few years ago!). Of course I 'dressed' mine up a little with a good paint job, full flying stab, and an ASP 108 on the nose... We are just waiting for some good flying weather here in Ohio now. With the rain and snow, our flying field looks like a lake now.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:26 AM
b717doc

Make sure coil is grounded.....should be 2 wires coming from coil, make sure one is grounded to engine.....