Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

23cc Aircraft

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 12:03 PM
Lee MRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 23cc Aircraft

I have a converted Homelite 23 cc engine that I have done my self, with all of the advice that I could gather from this section. It is an OLD ONE but still runs very well.

My questions areas are as follows:

What would be the correct prop. for all around flying, and aprox. what wing span/cord/fuslage length should I pursue to design an airframe for this engine?

Could any one suggest a weight limit?

I am starting from scratch and would like to acheive an all around low/mid wing aircraft to "play with".

I will build this craft from scratch so any suggestions could/would be inc. into the design. I do not fly compition so this is not a consideration(sp?) for me. I am TOO OLD for that.

Anyone around Dallas? I am in Mesquite, and would love to have help!

Any and all comments will be appreciated.

Lee K5MRC

Please excuse the spelling but I am from Texas

Fly the airplane first

Lee K5MRC
Old 01-18-2005, 12:49 PM
CrazyHerb
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 23cc Aircraft

Lee,

I'd try a 16x8 prop first...if it spins that prop any faster than 8000 rpms then get a 18x6...if that "feels" like too much or the motor gets really hot, trim it to 17 inch, the fatter blade of the 18 inch props are nice with the gassers.

I fly my 31cc Ryobi's on giant foamies. Super easy to build...knock-around type fun planes. You can see my Big Pink at www.crazyherb.com

Look for anything with 1200 sq inches of wing area or more. These old motors are a little heavy for their output and wing area is your FRIEND to bring down the loading.
You want to look at ready to fly weight at less than 15 lbs.

Don't expect this engine to fly like the $500+ powerhouses you can see on IMAC...but you can still have A LOT of fun with them.

If you're a good pilot and looking for a unique plane, I'm drawing up a gasser powered Delta wing that would work great with a 23-25cc gasser.
The increased wing area and reduced weight (no fuse or tail) helps a bunch...
(see attached image)

Best thing is...you got a good running engine...go have fun with it!
Good Luck!
CrazyHerb
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig10974.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	217042  
Old 01-18-2005, 08:27 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 23cc Aircraft

All good answers CrazyHerb, but I would try real hard to stay below 12 lbs. with a 23cc motor, and I agree with the 1200 inches. 1000 inches is workable if you stay around 10 lbs. or less.

AV8TOR