Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Cheap ignitions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 08:50 PM
cmarsden
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap ignitions

I just recieved some electronic ignitions from China. Yjey are an auto advance unit and include the magnet and hall sensor . They have a LED to set up the timing and are about half the size of the current models availble.
I am thinking of importing these to sell at around $100 shipped and I am interested to see if there is a market for them
Old 02-19-2005, 08:58 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cheap ignitions

Are they adaptable say to a saito 91 4 stk or larger??
and any pix of the units envolved
Old 02-19-2005, 09:04 PM
cmarsden

They will fit any motor just like a c@h or a Al diem unit or any of the others. They are really nice
Old 02-19-2005, 09:14 PM
airbr
My Feedback: (4)

Will you offer a conversion set for us converters with prop hub, magnet and hall sensor like ch does for the same $100 if so I will buy one right now.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:35 PM
smallplanes
My Feedback: (3)

Buy American support your country. CH made in the USA.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:13 AM
airbr

YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE RIGHT I SHOULD BUY FROM CH, WITH ALL OF OUR JOBS BEING SHIPPED OVERSEAS THIS WOULD BE A GOOD PLACE TO START!
Old 02-20-2005, 05:02 AM
cmarsden

ORIGINAL: browng300

Will you offer a conversion set for us converters with prop hub, magnet and hall sensor like ch does for the same $100 if so I will buy one right now.
\
I am considering selling the units and thats all. If you need other parts to make your conversion work, then there are many places to buy them.
I am not certain that I will import them, but am considering it. They are really nicely made and if it good enough for Walmart to import from china then I guess it OK for me to import also.
I have a company that makes 100% American ozone generators at www.trio3.com and frankly my biggest complaint is price compared to imports, so am aware of the" talk american buy chinese mentality".
Old 02-20-2005, 08:20 AM
Joe Butch
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, cmarsden, I believe you would see a market for these ignition units. Especially since they have auto advance. I believe a lot of tinkerers, weed wacker and chain saw converters would be interested in your units. I know you know business but this hobby supports LARGE overseas businesses, especially with ARFs that cost several hundreds of dollars. A hundred dollar ignition unit would be very well accepted. Please let me know if or when they become available, Joe Butch
Old 02-20-2005, 12:20 PM
smallplanes

Yes your right Walmart is killing this country along with other companys so i will say it again Buy American.

Thanks
smallplanes
U.S.A.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:54 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Amen brother.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:19 PM
Turbobeaver

Laying off the political over tones that some of you have brought up in this discussion and staying within the original subject topic ,"Cheap Ignitions", I would be very interested in finding out more about this product that you have in mind.It sounds very interesting indeed.

Guy's,I don't want to start a flame fest here but please keep in mind that we do live in a free country and everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion and point of view and sometimes it's just best to keep it to yourself to keep peace in the family.....know what I mean.RCU is about R/C,not politics.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Antique

Sometimes I just gotta sit back and laugh So why is a chinese $100 ignition better than a made in USA C&H for $89.95 ? Electronic advance ?
Some of you people are all talk and no action...TKG had a "Blue light special" a while back and sold maybe 2 or 3....I sold about the same...Anyone too "thrifty" to spend $35 for a circuit and about $25 more for a coil and sensor won't pay $100 for an ignition...
there's no rhyme or reason here..How many bought Modelectric coils, made for 3 volts, more expensive than the $20 C&H coils, and had to buy more than 1 ? You think a company that has been in business for over 20 years doesn't know what's best ??
A circuit, a syncro module, and coil can be had for about $95, you just have to find your own box to put it in....All talk, no action
FWIW, the spark advance is NOT necessary in a small engine under 3 cubic inches or so, they don't kick back hard enough...A Glow .90 kicks back harder...
I bet I could set up 2 identical weedies, one with electronic advance and the other fixed, and VERY few, if any, could tell the difference...Maybe a little kick back on starting, nothing else...None of my G26 conversions has syncro spark, I have had NO complaints about kicking back on starting...
Anything made in China that would sell here for $100 probably costs WAY less than half that.
Nothing wrong with profit, I do it myself..Don't know for sure what a Chinese ignition costs, but if my conversions sold for the same percentage of profit I would be driving a new Viper or Corvette by now
Old 02-20-2005, 03:53 PM
airbr

Thanks Rcign1, If everyone notice I ask if he was selling the prop hubs too at that price because otherwise it would not be worth it to me. Not meaning to start anything else but just got to get my point across and when saying this I am guilty of it myself for shopping at walmart. Yes it is a free country and all but in order for it to remain free for all it's citizens we have to be mindfull of who we support where we spend money. Simple economics, if you save money, keep money in the house there will always be enough for a rainy day, so we should adapt that same concept in our economy and maybe our kids won't have it as hard in their days. Just a thought.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:47 PM
cmarsden

I have two of these in house and intend to run them in and compare to a C@H and Silent Spark (al Deim) I have several examples of both units both the latest auto advance and fixed timing and will use them all on the same moter fuel and prop. When I am finished I will have the results and then and only then will I consider selling them. We have units for sale from Germany, Tiawan, Australia and also Argentinia, so whats wrong with Chinese? Most of the ARF's are from there and you guys from Georgia all wear jeans made in china and bought buy your wife's in Walmart
Old 02-20-2005, 08:23 PM
blackbaron
My Feedback: (92)

I will buy them from you.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:30 PM
smallplanes

Your right i'm sorry for the negitive feedback. So try the CH up against the china one and let us know how it does. But one thing i can say is for around $135 you can get the CH with prop hub sensor and EI can you sell all that for your price? If you can i know you could sell them.

Thanks
smallplanes
U.S.A.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:47 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a ignition system from RCIGN. Look no further for the best gurantee and I think the best price. They work great smaller engines like he says. Another great bonus you can read how to install and see photos right in these engine forums, and best of all he has the right answers. Capt,n
Old 02-20-2005, 11:25 PM
airbr

You guys crack me up.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:36 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

browng300 I am glad to see you are easy to entertain!!!!! Capt,n
Old 02-21-2005, 08:13 AM
cmarsden

ORIGINAL: blackbaron

I will buy them from you.
I bought them as a way to make a motor ignition combo from wacker/chainsaw engines with an easy start ignition system. I thought that the prices for a Japanese moter was a little high and that the average flyer would appreciate a cheap and good combo.
A ryobi or a sachs engine runs better with a autoadvance and the ignitions out there are great, but a little expensive. I am not a machinist or even a good welder, but there are so many guys making prop hubs and mufflers that I do not need to sell them or make them for sale.
The ignoition is about 1/2 the size of all the others and comes with a hall sensor and the magnet. All that is needed is is battery of a type that will supply from 3 volts to 8.4 volts and a switch for the battery. All else is included and that includes setup instructions.
What this means is that you can assemble a ryobi real easy and cheaply. A good used Ryobi is anywhere from free to $50.00 and a complete kit is availabvle on the internet for around $30.00. Install the ignition and you have a grat starter in gas motors for around $180.00 tops or less if the motor is free or cheaper. Now that is affordable.
If I thought that the market was large then I would sell them a lot cheaper at around $80 to $85 but with a small market it is not going to make me a lot of money for my trouble.

As far as buy american, thats all over with as parts are sourced everywhere including our so called american products. The front end on my factory fresh harley comes from Japan.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another point to look at is where to send it when it craps out.
Old 02-21-2005, 12:15 PM
rwfly
My Feedback: (8)

I go along with Flypaper2. C&H, Ralph and others are just an email or phone call away. All things being equal I would pay an extra $25 to $50 to know the help is there if I need it. I am not trying to slam anyone I just feel service after the fact is as important as the purchase in some case's.
Best Ron
Old 02-22-2005, 11:14 AM
Turbobeaver

I would think that any body who was going to market a given product,would have the common sense to realize that after market support and service is mandatory,not optional, in order for that business to remain successful and survive.If not........word travels quick on this high tech grape vine and you won't be in business for long.The R/C engine conversion market is indeed small but I am always impressed by how well it communicates and shares its ideas and experiences.Yes,service is indeed a big part of the final decision making process but I think inevitably,it comes down to a matter of dollars and cents.Do you buy the one that you want or do you buy the one that you can afford?The lucky people in our society get to do both.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:58 PM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

just a thought here,you should check out the thread, scratch built ignition( i still have to figure how you guys post links here).on page 8,or around there a guy from overseas,dont remember the country but i think china,sells a complete unit,minus just the magnet,ready to set up(very easy) for $51.00 shipped.he has 2 locations on each coast.cant be fixed,said he will replace.your going to have to do better than 51.00 bucks and have better warranty.i woudnt buy to many until i had this figured out a little better.his unit doesnt have advance but as stated in this thread you dont need it on a lot of engines.its pretty hard to beat ch and rcign.and would someone tell me who or where this al diem is located.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:50 AM
Antique

Al Diem
Silent Spark Ignition
Salt Lake City, UT 84105
801 936 7258
No web site
He has been making ignitions since before I started in 1987..
He's my source for some a special capacitor used in my circuit..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.