Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Homelites and gasket material(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 11:14 PM
Turbobeaver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homelites and gasket material(s)?

I would like to find out what everyone is using for gasket material when making new gaskets for their Homie conversions?Is there a specific type of gasket paper or thickness that I should be looking for to make all the required gaskets to rebuild a Homie 25 or 30?I need to cut new gaskets for intake,exhaust,backplate and cylinder to crankcase gasket.

Are you using the gasket material straight up as is or are you applying it with some type of gasket sealant also?The original gaskets didn't appear to use any type of gasket sealant.I read in here some where that you should use oil all of the gaskets surfaces(except exhaust gasket) prior to installation.Is this correct?Tried going back and finding the original thread that I read this in but I can't seem to find it with the "search" feature.Someone also posted a link to a website in this same thread where they were building fan engines for hang glider use(?) step by step with pictures of the assembly process.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:21 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Homelites and gasket material(s)?

The covers for Model Aviation magazines are pretty good material for gaskets?

I go to the auto parts store and buy gasket material. I've bought carb and insulator gaskets from the chain saw dealer. The back plate and cylinder base gaskets are thicker material than regular paper on a new engine. You can buy it at the auto parts store. Not some cheapie nerd auto store but a honest full service store.

The thickness of the cylinder gasket will effect your performance. So be careful. Some people remove and discard the original gasket and put a thin one in it's place to get more compression. They will do the same one the backplate for less crankcase volume.

The oil makes the gasket mash out and fit the voids better.

The muffler will require the high temperature stuff. The original was the green Kevlar type material.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 02-27-2005, 12:13 AM
hackken

Gaskets cut from milk cartons are usually quite durable.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:45 PM
Turbobeaver

Anybody ever try these gaskets from this supplier.It is only the base gasket that he sells but it is amazingly thin and is rated to withstand up to 1000 degrees.This material is only .005 thick and will increase the compression ratio of the engine without having to mill anything down(according to these guy's).I can't find gasket material thinner than 1/32" around here and it is rated to a maximum temperature of 500 degrees.Just how heat/gas/oil tolerant do the various gaskets on a Homelite conversion have to be?I've used some gasket papers before that just turn soggy and fall apart when exposed to gas/oil.Here is the link to the above mentioned site:

http://www.radioactivehobbies.com/mo...me=CCart&id=25
Old 03-01-2005, 02:26 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The only gasket that gets hot is the Exhaust one.

Enjoy,

Jim