Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Homelite 30- Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 11:45 PM
Airborn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homelite 30- Need Advice

Hello all,
I have a homelite 30 out of a leaf blower that I purchaced from Home Depot. this is the new and improved version[&o].After reading post after post I found that the transfer ports have been changed. Instead of one large port the new design has two small ports. How critical is this??????? Should I try to enlarge the ports or leave them alone? Also the crankshaft has a flat erea ground at the end of the shaft about 2 inches long. (this is how the fan unit is "keyed" to the crankshaft.)I am going to buy a prop hub from CH. does anyone know if I am going to have a problem with the crankshaft since it had been ground on the end?
thanks for the help!
Old 03-17-2005, 08:33 AM
Railridr

Default RE: Homelite 30- Need Advice

I too have a newer 30cc with the 4 transfer ports. I have not run it yet so I can not tell you how it will run. I would leave the transfer ports alone with regard to emlarging them. The ports are pretty deep compared to the other 30cc engine that I have. The only thing I would do is to taper the "bridge" between the bottom of the ports where the fuel will flow up from the crankcase into the port. I will post a picture if I have time today of how I shaped mine. In stock form this area is squared off and fuel will not flow very well into the ports. The other thing to note is that the transfer ports are timed differently. One pair of ports opens before the next pair of ports. If you could make all four ports open at the same time you will make more power. The flat on the crankshaft will not be a problem. I have a 25cc engine from a blower with a flat on the shaft. Just slide prop hub on and forget about the flat.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:49 PM
Airborn

Default RE: Homelite 30- Need Advice

Thanks for the info Railridr ! After looking at the ports I think I understand what you mean by tapering the bridge.