Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

poulan vs homelite

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 10:12 PM
smallplanes
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default poulan vs homelite

What motor has the most power and the best all around running? The poulan 46cc or the homelite 45cc. I have a poulan 46cc and i'm just starting to test it out on a plane and so far it seams great. I want another motor for another project and want to know the best one. I saw a post on here one time where you could by reconditioned poulan 46cc's, does anyone know the web site?

Thanks to all
smallplanes
Old 03-24-2005, 02:36 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: poulan vs homelite

There's not enough difference between the two engines, power or weight wise, to get excited about.

The latest Homelites have a rubber boot carb mount also but the port on the cylinder is round rather than oval.

Lawn Station was the place but there for a while they were all over the internet. I havn't looked lately.

I have two Homelite 45's. The one back top one came from Cummins tool. The newer type all red one came from a pawn shop. It had only been made the month before but the chain was ruined. it was $90. I could have sharpened it but it would have taken a while. It runs great.

enjoy,

Jim

Old 03-24-2005, 08:56 PM
smallplanes

I have a question on my poulan 46cc. I can not get it to idle , if i trim it down just a little it will cut off if i idle it up just a little it will take off on the ground. I have leaned it out on the low end so when i'm flying it has not sputter. It also has become harder to crank, i have to chock it every time to crank it. I have CH igniton on it but i don't have the syncro spark. I had it idling good the other day when i was using lawn boy 32:1 now i'm running Amsoil pro 80:1. Can some one tell me what i need to do? Thanks for any help.

Thanks w8ye on your info on the motors i think i might just get another poulan. I allready have a few rotator carb mounts made for this motor. I saw on the market place where someone is selling a homelite 45cc conversion and they say it has more power than a FPE 3.2 . Well i have a FPE 3.2 that i'm flying on a 29% edge 540 and it is a power house. This motor has extreme unlimited vertical and if the homelite 45 has more power than that then its one bad son of a gun.
I'm flying my poulan 46 on an 18lbs 85" somthin extra and it does not have unlimited vertical but it does have some vertical. Its a good motor but its not by a long shot a FPE 3.2 .

Thanks
smallplanes
Old 03-24-2005, 10:56 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think a normal Homelite 45 will keep up with a FPE?

And what's wrong with sputtering? I run some of mine where they run smooth the whole time and some sputter when not under load.

These engines in level flight, or descending, will eventually start four cycling or at least sputter. When you point them up, they break into a smooth 2 cycle.

From many points of view, this is a desirable trait. The engine acts almost like it has a governor on it. when it catches up with itself and the load gets light, it will start four cycling. When the load returns, it takes off into full power two cycle. Coming down the back side of a loop, it will break into four cycle which helps control the speed of the plane somewhat.

I'm just a casual sport flyer therefore I'm not into 3D and such. I'm not a young pup anymore.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 03-25-2005, 01:22 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

If it ran good with the 32:1 but it back in. The ring may need the extra oil to give a good seal untill the breakin is over.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:07 AM
smallplanes

Thanks tkg, i think i'm going to mix some more 32:1 back up and run another gallon or too back thru it. Then maybe i can get it to idle. I like the 80:1 mix for power and it has almost no oil on the plane you can take one paper towel and clean the whole plane. Thanks for the help guys.

Thanks
smallplanes
Old 03-25-2005, 02:47 PM
tripp3d

you should have no problem running 80:1, I sell Stihl brand equip and at the factory they test run everything at 80:1, matter of fact the only reason they recommend 50:1 is to account for different air temps (they have an isolated test enviroment), dirty air filters and cooling fins( not a problem for us), just keep it a little on the rich side with the high speed needle and you should have no problems. If you think you have lost compression just add some motor oil (just a little) through the spark plug hole and then fire it up, it will definately blow smoke for a minute but you should be able to tell if the compression boost helped.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:35 PM
smallplanes

Well i got the plane to idle not sure just what it was but it was in the carb. I took the cover off and cleaned the screen (and it had 2 screens in it i left one out) and put it back on ,I took both needles out and blew tru the holes and put the cover back on and i turned the vent with the cover over it down. I cranked the motor and it ran and idled great i'm not sure what was wrong but it works good now. O yes i mixed up 2 gals of lawn boy 32:1 and that was what i had in it when i got it to run,i'm now going to switch back to the 80:1 after i run a few tanks of the 32:1 tru it. The rings must be seated because even with the 32:1 in it it still did not have that much oil on the plane. Here is a pic of the cover over the vent before i turned it down. I have another pic of the plane that its own.

Thanks
smallplanes
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88318.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	249639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15618.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	249640