Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Twister manifold and 11.11mm carb

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 11:22 PM
Airborn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twister manifold and 11.11mm carb

My twister from carr precision arrived today and after comparing the hole in the manifold to the hole in the carb I was surprised how much larger the throat of the carb was. I have read that you can enlarge the hole in the manifold, but how do you do this without ruining the darn thing. It is already thin in spots , especially at one of the mounting holes.. If anyone knows a secret about how to do this please share
Old 03-26-2005, 12:42 AM
airbr
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Twister manifold and 11.11mm carb

Ok what you need to do is to define the size of the rear side of the carb, the side that butts up against the manifold. Trace that size out on a peice of paper or make a gasket. Whatever size it is you are going to make the opening of the manifold that same size, the side that butt up against the carb or the size of the diameter on the gasket. You are not going any further than just the opening on the manifold. Match the two the same size and that should do it.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:04 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It'll run pretty good to just go ahead and put it together the way it is even though the twister manifold is not exactly as big as your carb.

The genuine, from the factory, Homelite twister manifold does not take to being enlarged the best in the world. It gets too thin on one side and the gasket doesn't want to seal. The interference is with the groove for the signal line.

You may have to fill the groove in with JB weld and then enlarge the hole in the manifold? Then you run a external trigger line to operate the carb pump?

I abandoned using the twister because of this and used a bored out regular manifold instead. See picture...

Enjoy,

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99379.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	249151  
Old 03-28-2005, 09:42 PM
smallplanes
My Feedback: (3)

I made my own for my poulan 46cc. The big hole in the mount is the same size the carb hole is. I then cut a grove for the pulse to the carb. The material is G10 epoxy board, it will take the heat. It will also hold threads pretty good.

Thanks
smallplanes
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36860.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	250824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68051.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	250825  
Old 03-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Airborn

Nice work on the manifold Smallplanes! Epoxy board........is that something a hardware store would have in stock?
Old 03-29-2005, 02:54 AM
mikenlapaz

Probably not but McMaster Carr will ship it to your doorstep.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

one of many options : G10/FR4 Garolite Rectangular Bar 1/2" Thick, 2" Width, 2' Length
Old 03-29-2005, 12:40 PM
smallplanes
My Feedback: (3)

I got it from our supplier (Piedmont Plastics) you can also get it from MSC.com . This stuff is real easy to cut you could do it with a drill press and a dremal tool. I made mine on a CNC Machine . I took my carb mount off last night because i used red atv silicone to help seal it and the silicone was getting a little soft. I put it back on with 600deg JB Weld so that should hold it. I know some people say not to use it because of the heat but this motor will never get to 600degs. I've talked to another guy on here that has JB Weld holding his carb mount on and he says it's working great and it has not melted. The only down fall is that its permanent but i know that the mount works because i've already been flying it.

Thanks
smallplanes