Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Stihl 64.9cc four stroke

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 06:21 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stihl 64.9cc four stroke

I called to check on a Stihl BR550 four stroke 64.9 cc blower...One dealer said they were recalled, another said they can't be sold...
No BIG four strokes for a while...
Old 05-20-2005, 09:14 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stihl 64.9cc four stroke

Maybe the problem would not affect model airplane use and a dealer unit could be purchased economically. Do you know the nature of the problem? I sure would like to experiment with one of the big four strokes.

Bill
Old 05-20-2005, 09:33 PM
Antique

I left my phone number with the dealer here, maybe it's just temporary...
Old 05-21-2005, 02:14 PM
tripp3d

nobody is saying yet but I think it has to do with the static wire in the blower tube to prevent shock, had one come loose and the thing has a tendency to bite the operator at times, may not be good for someone with a pacemaker?
Old 05-21-2005, 06:29 PM
fixitt

I have worked on one of the newer stihl 4 mix -- 4 stroke with no crankcase oil just like 2 stroke mixed I was a little happy to see it but the coil was bad we are not a stihl dealer so the customer took it to the nearest dealer before he left he said his stihl dealer was having problems with them. the 4 mix took the place of the 25.4 2 stroke on the pro weedie. in small words I"M NOT IMPRESSED. thanks for listening
Old 05-21-2005, 07:59 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer friend did not know the reason for the recall but speculated that the problem was a potential legal issue due to the way the matter was handled. He has sold over a dozen and has good reception by the customer with no problems. He says it sounds like a Satio.

Bill
Old 05-22-2005, 09:11 PM
tripp3d

the stihl 4 mix that is replacing the 25 cc two stroke is a completely different engine than the 4 mix blower engine. I have seen both engines do VERY well although I have seen a rash of the smaller 4 mix on trimmers with coils that would stop firing after getting hot. I don't think the blower recall is related to the coils as it is a different coil and I haven't seen any go bad yet.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:17 PM
tripp3d

the main problem with the 65 cc blower engines is not recall related, the biggest issue for me would be how to mount the engine because of the rubber intake between the carb and engine. How would you achieve a rigid mount without adding a bunch of crap to the front to isolate it?+-
Old 05-22-2005, 11:06 PM
Antique

Haven't seen one, but the Poulan 46 has a rubber mounted carb...A G10 epoxy board block routed out to fit the oval stub works fine....Any pictures ?
We know advertised HP is meaningless, but why is the BR550 4 hp and the BR500 3hp ? Both are 64.9cc....
Old 05-23-2005, 03:05 PM
tripp3d

just like some other companies, instead of building one unit with a smaller piston and cylinder it is more feasible from their point of view to just turn the one with the bigger power down... example a 7 hp briggs is the same block, piston, etc as a 5 hp briggs. but they have different jets or exhaust to control power output. makes more sense than building an entirely different engine to have less power for a smaller application. I think the br 500 model is also a unit made just for California's strict noise and pollution emmisions.