Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

engine cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 01:30 PM
origiv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine cleaning

Greetings,
I really need to clean my engine OS46 AX, just from the outside without dissassemble it,
what is the best way i can do that?
thanks
Ori Givati
Old 02-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Volture
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: engine cleaning

I use a crockpot of ethylene glycol antifreeze. Pull the muffler, glowplug, backplate, and remove any plastic parts and drop it in overnight. Baked-on varnish comes off like magic. The next morning, I flush it thoroughly under hot water from the faucett and wash it with dish soap, turning the crank over several times. I then rinse again under hot water, turning the crank now and then to get all soap out. Then I put it in the oven at the lowest setting (mine is 175F) for 30 minutes or so to bake out the water (take any plastic parts off before baking). Then I let it cool, liberally oil the innards with ATF, and reassemble. Others may be scared of having their bearings immersed in water, but if you go quickly from the final flush to the oven you will have no problem. I have cleaned dozens of engines this way, after finding no other effective ways (solvents, oven-cleaner, alcohol soak, degreasers, etc) to cut the crud from the outside. WARNING!!! WARNING!!! WARNING!!!: 1) CRITTERS LOVE THE TASTE OF ANTIFREZE AND IT IS DEADLY TO THEM. IF YOU LOVE YOUR CATS AND DOGS KEEP THE CROCKPOT AWAY FROM THEM. 2) DON'T USE THE CROCKPOT AGAIN FOR FOOD! For smaller engines I use a small coffeemaker so I don't have to use as much antifreeze.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:50 PM
badger41

Default RE: engine cleaning

Volture
The best method I have found is to get an electric crock pot slow cooker and fill to cover the engine in question . Start, by removing the glow plug ,the prop ,and the muffler. You can put all the parts back into the crock . The cooking solution is half water and half automotive antifreeze[ethelyn glycol ]. Let for 24hrs. and simply wash off with hot water. When dry , lube with oil to protect the bearings . The nice thing about this method is no dissasembly is needed or required. Also the out side of the engine will look brand new. try it you will like it.
tom