Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

Who uses a tuned pipe on a converted engine?

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Who uses a tuned pipe on a converted engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 07:49 PM
Graeme Marion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who uses a tuned pipe on a converted engine?

I have seen threads in this forum about welding aluminium to make mufflers, and I was wondering if it might be easier to assemble a mouse can muffler.

It seems to me that a MCP would add power, be light, cheap and easy to fabricate.

Has anyone tried a MCP or any other type of pipe on one of these home conversion engines.

I know there is a limit to the speed that they can safely operate at, but the extra power should give the ability to swing a larger prop.

If you have already tried this I would be interested in the details.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:56 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Who uses a tuned pipe on a converted engine?

Hi,

I don't really consider these engines "rpm limited". My Homelite 30cc buzzes an APC 16 x 8 prop at 9400+ rpms static, and probably unloads to 10000 or so in the air. I run all my conversion motors over 8000. As for the pipe issue, sure! Any two stroke will gain power with a tuned pipe. Most don't want the weight, complexity, etc. of a tuned pipe however. To be effective, the length is pretty long and the pipe bulky for most applications.

As for making your own using "aluminum welding", that is probably another story. I learned to weld many, many years ago, and can weld pretty well with gas, stick, mig, etc., and I couldn't get those aluminum welding rods to work worth a darn. Many others have had problems too. Buy some and try it, but don't be surprised if your results are less than optimum.

Take care,
AV8TOR
Old 06-15-2006, 07:10 PM
Ralphbf
My Feedback: (27)

Another advantage of a tuned pipe is it allows you to take weight off the nose of the plane and put it closer to the center of gravity. This is a good thing in all but a few planes, such as some war birds who need nose weight.

So a tuned pipe can give you more power and require less ballast.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:33 PM
erik58
My Feedback: (4)

I weld alumium fairly regularly with stick but not on light gauge I usally heat it with a torch .I get it+- 250 degrees just hot enough to flick your finger your finger on it[:@] and it feels hot I hope it helps
Old 06-16-2006, 10:21 AM
Graeme Marion

I have read that you should you rub soap on the aluminium. Then when you heat it, it will go black when it is at the right temperature to lumi-weld.

I don't fancy checking the temperature of the metal with my finger.

I really had in mind making a MCP. as they are not very critical to set up.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:02 PM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

Ive made a few from the article im going to tell you about.They do work.The article is from the March issue,1994 Model Airplane news magazine.Its called( Make a mousse can muffler).I dont know if you can view or read this online from them or if you want pm me your address and ill copy the article and mail it to you.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:11 AM
Graeme Marion

I have made MCPs before as detailed here [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/OS_46_AX__20%25_Morgan_OS%238_plug/m_2108597/tm.htm[/link]. This particular one gained me 1500 rpms.

I was hoping that I would not have to re-invent the wheel so to speak. If someone had used a pipe on one of these engines in the past, then they could save me some time experimenting with various sizes and dimensions.

Replace the spark plug with a glo plug. Remove the magneto and flywheel. Run the engine on methanol and use a MCP.

Sounds like the way to go to me.