Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Lathe for conversions

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 04:00 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lathe for conversions

the combo machines I've seen don't have threading capability if that changes any thoughts...
Old 01-27-2009, 08:53 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cutting threads ability is not too important. You can cut threads with a die holder in tailstock. That is my opinion[:-] Capt,n Now in Florida
Old 01-27-2009, 10:55 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have considered the thread cutting and it is a tough problem. Cutting with a die is tough with something as big as the prop shaft, but it can be done. What is the biggest diameter part you have turned on your lathes and how did it compare to its capacity rating?
Old 09-10-2009, 11:40 AM
captinjohn

Well I got back from Florida in April. I met a few guys last week-end (now September) at a Big RC fly-in. I am trying to get this lathe forum going again so the new guys have some good reading. Please feel free to add more of your latest Lathe set-up...with photos also from time to time. A photo is worth a thousand words. Best Regards Capt,n
Old 09-10-2009, 11:05 PM
captinjohn

Here is a way to true up prop adapter hub....right when it is in place on crankshaft! Capt,n
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51041.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	1272714  
Old 09-11-2009, 01:58 AM
Ralphbf
My Feedback: (27)

That's cheating capt,n

I have an old Craftsman 6" with a 4 jaw chuck.

I still find it a pain to true up my work, but I'm getting faster.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Flathead
My Feedback: (11)

Don't forget E-Bay. There are a lot of lathes of all sizes. Some include shipping others don't, and some may be local pick-up only. In any case, you can get additional ideas. Just be sure and read all the :IFS-ANDS-AND BUTS, and ask the seller questions. Just go to
"METAL LATHES" Flathead 4
Old 09-11-2009, 09:43 PM
captinjohn

I fogot to say...when you got the crankshaft & hub assembly in lathe...be sure to square off the face of hub. Capt,n
Old 09-11-2009, 11:26 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

craigslist can be a good place to pick up a lathe, I got a HF 7x12 lathe for $250 around 2 years ago, came with all the standard stuff plus a little extra, added a few things since...
Old 09-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Nosedragger

Look for a used South Bend and forget the china garbage.You can buy parts for a SB should you need them.A 9" lathe is usually a 120 Volt machine with various bed lengths, will do all you need and can be had cheap. Mine is a hand me down I've had for the last 37 years, never needed a replacement part.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:41 AM
Scota4570

I have a southbend 10 x 30, give or take. It an old navy machine. I have run several vintage southbends. I like them. Lablond is to notch. As for parts...you make them. I have a buddy who is a machine tool fanatic. He used to be a machinist. He bought one of the modern Chinese machines and frankly it was junk. He could give you a laundry list of the problems. Lots of stuff like sloppy parts and bondo to fill poor castings. There is something very pleasing about your machine being fit and finished well. When you move the parts or run it it will feel like the parts are solid and smooth, like glass on greased glass. That give confidence and promotes a smooth finish and accurate work. You will be boring tapers and internal threads, I can't see how you will do a good job with a sloppy machine. Look around for schools that are junking the machine shop program. They will have vintage high quality machines. Get on a lathe forum and get the scoop from the guys who are really into this stuff. I would definatly buy an old quality machine, you can find them used. Don't let 220V care you. I have a giant extension chord that I can plug in a the clothes dryer plug. Just make sure is is the correct phase. Some big insustrial machines are three phase, you want two phase for residental use. It is not insurmountable, you just need a phase converter. A 220 volt machine will have a lot of "guts" that is good. I would shy away from a big gear hed unless it is a great machine, like a LaBlond. I had a big little known manufacturer 15 x 48 gear head made for WWII. It was powerfull but left a poor finish.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Ralphbf
My Feedback: (27)

I believe it's the harbor freight 8 inch lathe that is the good one.

The 7 and the 9 are "loose" but the 8 have good reviews.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:38 PM
captinjohn

I bought my lathe from Harbor freight. Oh...Scott I hope you like this! Capt,n John P.S. Here is more engines that need lathe work!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80566.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	1274696  
Old 09-14-2009, 07:52 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My lathe came from enco, pretty much the same as harbor freight. Had to completely dissassemble it, clean all that cosmolean off, and reassemble and readjust. Worked much better afterwards. You gotta stay on top of it and check the adjustments regularly. Same on my mill. Got it used from a friend that got it from harbor freight. He did beautiful work with it so I know its capable. He was a machinist so I dont think I will ever get as good as him on a hobby basis. But I sure enjoy what I can do with it. I'll hopefully get some time to work on some retracks for my P47 this fall. Been working on the design this summer and following a machining thread at rcsb. Need to knock that out and finish that plane.
Edwin
Old 09-14-2009, 07:54 AM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: Ralphbf

I believe it's the harbor freight 8 inch lathe that is the good one.

The 7 and the 9 are ''loose'' but the 8 have good reviews.
My 8 inch Harbor freight is a very good lathe. I even put a coat of car wax on the finnish when it was new. You can pretty much adjust as needed to keep the slop out...as you can with many lathes. Every person who seen the one I have....liked it. It gets done what I want to do. Capt,n
Old 09-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Scota4570

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

I bought my lathe from Harbor freight. Oh...Scott I hope you like this! Capt,n John P.S. Here is more engines that need lathe work!!!!
I like it alot. Your doing. Maybe some day you will get a fine old lathe in perfect condition with a pick up load of tooling, for real cheap. In the meantime you are having a good time, that is what it about.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:39 PM
captinjohn

Well it is Feb 2010 and we are back in Florida again. I plan to visit Ken Lambert. He converts Supertiger engines from Glow to gas & makes mufflers ect. Best Regards Capt,n
Old 02-12-2010, 10:59 PM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

I have had my 7x12 cummins for the last year and have had no problems what so ever.
Came with a lot of accessaries also.
I also bought a knurling tool from micro mark,and a cutoff tool from Little machine shop.