Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

SPARK PLUGS

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 12:25 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SPARK PLUGS

I was at Low,s and seen a new spark plug. Says 8-12 percent more power. Also states it is the last spark plug you will have to buy. Check it out...now has anyone tried one....before you say its impossile? Here is link Capt,n http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/techover...r-PRODUC-28370 http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/images/crossoverchart2.jpg
Old 01-21-2007, 01:52 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: SPARK PLUGS

Multiple ground electrode plugs have been around all my life and longer. They always make this claim but any improvement in performance, if measurable, is in your imagination.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:40 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Cap, say it long enough a loud enough and it might become fact...Works with other things on here
The spark jumps to the closest ground, 100 electrodes wouldn't make it work any better..
Old 01-21-2007, 03:02 PM
jrjr2u

I know of people that swear it helps their motorcycles. It made a Gold Wing run worse for me. In my current bike (VL1500) it make absolutely no difference. I tried them though! AKA Split Fire
Old 01-21-2007, 03:17 PM
captinjohn

Well its good to have some actual reports explaninig the real truth about the use of that plug so people will not waste $$$ I did try the cut back of the ground electrode on a slight angle with the tip ending about 1/2 way of center electrode. My engine seem to start and idle better. That mod makes the spark jump in a certain area and keeps plug clean. How about platinum tip spark plugs? Any input on them? Thanks Guys...this stuff is fun and good to know!!!! Capt,n
Old 01-21-2007, 06:19 PM
Tom Johnson
My Feedback: (2)

In my younger days I spent many hours on an engine dyno trying to squeeze every last pony out of racing 2-strokes, and learned all kinds of interesting and sometimes counterintuitive things that made more power. However, one thing that had a statistically negligible effect on power was the spark plug configuration. Other than the protrusion amount into the combustion chamber (which alters the compression ratio and therefore power characteristics) we found that no matter what kind of crazy 'trode shape we had, if it made spark at all that was good enough.

I have to admit, it looks whiz bang enough. At the end of the day, though, Ralph is right and there will really only be one spark to the closest electrode.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:21 PM
captinjohn

Yupper ...electicity follows the path of least resistance! Capt,n
Old 01-28-2007, 04:02 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

The e3 are also not resistive-types.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:59 PM
captinjohn

The E3 Sparkplug would have to be used in a RC airplane with a DX7 radio system. I think I will skip the sparg plug...and get the DX7 Spectrum radio for it more glitch free performance. On spark plugs I did have good results with just a simple mod to the Spark Plug! Capt,n
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67680.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	608576  
Old 01-28-2007, 05:12 PM
jrjr2u

I got a DX7 a few weeks ago. Although I haven't flown with it yet, it sure is nice!!
Old 01-28-2007, 05:15 PM
Bob Pastorello

capn - I'll "bite".... what, exactly, did the modified plugs *DO* for you?
How did you "know" they were "improved" ????
Old 01-28-2007, 06:59 PM
captinjohn

The plug mod made more easy starting and better idle. If I had a link to the original write up in a High Flight magizie ....I would post it. It concetrates the spark to jump in a certain spot....keeping plugs abilility to fire. Capt,nn
Old 01-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Bob Pastorello

I would like to see that, if you could dig it up. I've heard similar things, but could never find real "data" to backup the claims. The logic of reshaping the electrode to sharper edges would seem to make easier "jump" points of lower resistance for the spark to jump, thus making it "easier" than a flat, or round-shaped higher-resistance path.

Any info you could find would be helpful.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:21 PM
captinjohn

I have a G38 that I ran with modified spark plug. I had a guy say he never seen a G38 that would idle that slow with stock mag. Some of that too is correct carb settings. I had the engine on a quite heavy Giles Midwest G202 and I could hold the plane strait up position and I could let loose and it wanted to climb strait up. I had a 18x10 zinger prop on it. Capt,n