Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

throttle

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:27 PM
michael wood
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle

hi guys I have a question about the throttle an a ryobi 31cc. I bought a mount and carb spacer for the engine and when i put the spacer on I stripped the carb screw. when i take the carb mount screw and the spacer out and put the carb back on the screw tightens up. I know the spacer is used to give clearance for the throttle if i were to use a ball and kink. my queation is the carb has a brass keeper on the throttle that the throttle cable was connected to. can i use this for the throttle and not worrie about metal to metal interfering with the reciver. thanks michael
Old 01-24-2007, 02:54 AM
mikenlapaz

Default RE: throttle

The metal to metal would worry me. Read one post that took position that as long as the metal contact was non-ferrous it would not create any interference. Be interested to see the other comments.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:00 AM
jrjr2u

Try a little bit longer screw and blue locktite
Old 01-24-2007, 06:43 AM
Dr1Driver

Drill the hole out and tap for a larger screw. The spacer may also be for carb insulation from heat, I wouldn't remove it. As for ferrous/non ferrous metal-to-metal contact: That's not the problem. If it's CONDUCTIVE you may have problems. To be on the safe side, stay away from metal-to-metal contact of any type.

Dr.1
Old 01-24-2007, 11:10 AM
michael wood

I thought about drilling and tapping the hole or trying to find a longer screw I like flying gasser and the ryobis`s are easy to convert thanks for the help michael
Old 01-24-2007, 01:14 PM
mikenlapaz

The screws on mine are the self tapping long spiral similar to sheet metal screws. I would try stuffing the hole in the with something like a few pieces of insulation stripped off of small wire or some tooth picks. Wrap the screw with some Teflon tape before inserting.

You do not want to drill thru bottom of mount hole and create a possible case air leak.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Dr1Driver

I would try stuffing the hole in the with something like a few pieces of insulation stripped off of small wire or some tooth picks.
I would NOT trust that to hold my carb on airtight.

You do not want to drill thru bottom of mount hole and create a possible case air leak.
Don't drill deeper, drill larger for a larger screw.

Dr.1
Old 01-24-2007, 02:02 PM
mikenlapaz

OK. Took a look at one, how about running a 10-24 tap down into existing holes about .625" and getting some RHMS 10-24 x 1.75"( plus your additional spacer) for replacement fasteners. A #25 bit could be hand twisted into the holes on my case back plate.

You might find that the spacer is not thick enough to allow use of a ball link on the existing plate secured to the throttle shaft. I chose to use a ball link so I made an additional spacer from A/C plywood laminated with expoxy set between two pieces of glass.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:17 PM
michael wood

the ball link that I use are from tower hobbies and work great i use loctight on the screw. thoese are all good ideas. I have 2 more ryobis so i will try to tap the hole to a 10-24 and see what happens