Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Gas engine performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Thumprding

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas engine performance

Being new to Gas engines I am curious about the performance characteistics of a gas motor. I know the difference between a two stroke glow and a 4 stroke glow. A two stroke glow will rev higher and put out more HP but the 4 stroke can spin a bigger prop and the revs do not fall off as much when the engine is loaded. How does a gas engine compare to these two.

Thanks.

Oh my Gas enigne is a converted 25cc homelite weed wacker.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:00 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Gas engine performance

I remember back when I first started with gassers. My thought was "Wow, these things pull like tractors!!" Kind of like a SUPER fourstroke.

Your 25cc will be happy with a 16 x 8 or 18 x 6 prop depending on whether you want more static thrust or airspeed. The Homelites are safe to rev pretty high, so you could even go to a 15 x 8 or 10 prop for more speed yet....

It depends on if you have done any mods to the engine how fast it will turn those props. These weedie motors like to have a larger than stock carb installed, and the exhaust opened up. I gut my mufflers and install two 7/16 or 1/2" outlets.

Look up "Non Machine Shop Homey" here in the forum for some info on various mods if you like...

Have fun,
AV8TOR
Old 01-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Thumprding

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gas engine performance

I modified my Homelite by adding a Big bore carb (about an 11mm venturi), twister big bore manifold, cut down flywheel, and a new muffler. I also cut off all the extra aluminium I could and installed a fire wall mount. All of the work and parts are from Carr. The only thing I have not done is add an CDI ignition.