Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

49cc Pocket bike engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 10:01 PM
foamcut
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 49cc Pocket bike engine

Has anyone tried converting one of the 49cc 2-stroke pocket bike engines (as sometimes seen on a popular online auction site which will remain nameless)?
Old 03-11-2007, 12:32 PM
flyjoe540

Default RE: 49cc Pocket bike engine

I was working on one , but due to the shape of the fly wheel it became too much work .probably doable with electronic ignition and the right carb .
Old 03-11-2007, 02:59 PM
foamcut

Thanks for that feedback

Do you have a pic of the flywheel?

Thanks
Old 03-11-2007, 04:36 PM
flyjoe540

I dont have any pictures of it , but its around here somewhere . the problem with it is that where we would normally screw on a prop adapter , is at the bottom of a cone shapeed hole about 1 1/4 deep and the bottom is only about 3/4- 7/8 of an inch across . I had pete at wacker working on it at one point but it started to get cost prohibitive . it can be done but the best way would probably be with electronic ignition .
Old 03-11-2007, 07:10 PM
foamcut

I was really thinking it would be a candidate for the gas / glow conversion. This way you eliminate the flywheel and coil. You still need a prop adapter however.

The pocket bike engines I've seen have the cyclinder and carb almost 180 deg opposed. This means that if you like to mount your cylinder pointing down your carb is nearly on top of the engine where it can be more accessible. A good Walbro carb can be had pretty cheaply to replace the stock one. It also appears that the clutch mounting area would be ideal for a backplate mount. Given that there are probably many people working on hop ups I would think some technical know-how is already in the works.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:49 PM
JCaste

I also thought of that, but speaking with the freedom that gives ignorance, I believe it may be a tricky conversion. Those engines seem to have a quite complex shape, which makes them heavier, bulkier and more difficult to machine and mount. But who knows, maybe someone gives them a try. I wish I could see one day a flat twin made from converted engines, joining the blocks to a custom made body. [&:]
I asked one seller to send me pics, to see the degree of difficulty, but just told me the weight. For 70$, I believe someone around will buy one and try...