Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Fueling ideas for gas conversions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 11:26 PM
Turbobeaver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fueling ideas for gas conversions?

I've been wondering lately how best to set up the fuel system on a few planes that I've been working on for quite some time now.They are both equipped with Homies and my original plan was to use a fuel dot type system such as the one made by Hangar 9.My only concern here is how well will it work with a fuel line such as Tygon(3/32'"I.D)which is quite ridgid compared to glow tubing.Will it be difficult to plug and unplug the fuel dot from the fill line?Can the tubing become stretched over time where the dot plugs into the line and become loose cauising air leaks in the fuel line?How are you guy's setting up your fill lines on your fuel systems for gas and what is the consensus as how best to accomplish this?Other than using a Dubro gas fueling valve (which I really don't want to),am I on the right track with this idea and will it suffice or is there a better way of setting this up?
Old 05-04-2007, 12:35 AM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Fueling ideas for gas conversions?

with a pump carbuerator like the walbro or zama types on weedeaters, the only fuel line you need to not have leaks in is the line from the carbuerator to the clunk, you NEED to have an open vent line in the system to let air in, this is usually wrapped once or so around the fuel tank and exit the bottom of the airplane somewhere (keeps you from dumping fuel if you turn it upside down in the pits or handling)

the third line can have a fuel dot or one of any type of fueling setup, tygon does harden some after time, I'll let someone with more experience handle that part
Old 05-07-2007, 10:29 AM
arobatx

Here is the tubing you are looking for: Hayes Neoprene Tubing. It won't harden like tygon, it also won't slip off std brass tank fittings, etc. Dubro and Great planes (along with others) also make a neoprene/rubber fuel line option, but Hayes is the quality winner hands down.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXK824&P=7

P.S. those running gas in our club haven't had issues with two line fuel systems, with a T in the feed line. It would be a good idea to use a vent line filter however, lots of dust and debris gets kicked up by the prop
Old 05-07-2007, 01:05 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you fly where a lot of dust & debries gets kicked up you should use a screen over the air intake or air horn. If real bad...use a regular air cleaner of some sort. Capt,n
Old 05-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Turbobeaver

Thanks for the replies gents.Much appreciated indeed.Well after a bit more reading on fuel line types,you know the old arguement,Tygon vs.Neoprene,I've decided to take a bit of advice from some of the guy's that have been at this for quite a while and go the Hayes neoprene fuel line route.After much searching and reading in the forums,it seem to be the popular opinion that this product is way superior to other brands of neoprene and also addresses some of the concerns regarding using Tygon with a fuel dot type system.It is more pliable than Tygon and will not harden with age .It will also be easier to plug and unplug the dot from the end of the fuel line whenever fueling is required.If RCIGN thinks this is the way to go,that's proof enough for me guy's.I plan on using it in conjunction with a Hangar 9 fuel dot system(HAN115).I do have a separate vent line on each tank with a loop in it as well.The vent line then connects to a piece of brass tubing which exits through the floor of the fuse(it is silver soldered to a small piece of brass sheet and screwed down to the fuse floor). The brass tubing vent line has been radius bent and then is positioned to point rearwards to prevent dirt from entering the tube.It should also prevent any possible chance of forming a potential vacuum in the tank.Don't know if this is possible or not at these flying speeds but what the heck.......at least it'll keep the dirt out.