Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

homelite flywheel removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 10:22 AM
julestoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default homelite flywheel removal

I'm still trying to get detailed info on stripping a Homelite 25cc. I think I can do the rest, but I am still not sure how the flywheel fits to the crankpin. It has no retaining bolt. Is it just located on a taper and u pull it off using a 2 or 3 jaw puller? Or what??
All help welcome!
Next issue! Can u cut down the flywheel drastically, to say 60mm dia, replace the magnet and bring the ignition pickup as close as it was before? Obviously timing must be preserved but all that needs is an appropriate bracket from the original location, not so?
Old 05-06-2007, 11:54 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: homelite flywheel removal

I usually just wedge two screwdrivers behind the flywheel, somewhat forcing it in the direction to remove. Then screw the flywheel nut on until it is flush with the end of the shaft threads. Then a sharp rap with a hammer and the flywheel will pop right off.

A two or three jawed puller can also be used.

Other than removing the fins and rebalancing the flywheel, modifications are NOT recommended. The centrifigal forces at the rpms these engines turn are incredible, and you could easily create a "ticking bomb" with a modified flywheel.

AV8TOR
Old 05-07-2007, 02:32 AM
julestoo

Thanks av8tor. I see pictures of Zenoahs with almost no flywheel,for use in planes. Is that because the Zenoah crank is supported in bearings at both ends and the crank is balanced (as far as u can balance a single cylinder) without a flywheel?
Old 05-07-2007, 08:21 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True, but those are factory made flywheels, and not something a person could safely come up with in a home shop. (It has nothing to do with the bearings.) If weight is a problem for you, I suggest converting to battery CD ignition to get rid of the flywheel, or look into Gas/Glow operation.

Here's a ton of info on "Gas/Glow": http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_12...page_50/tm.htm

Here's a link for ignition systems: www.ch-ignitions.com

Besides less weight, both of those options will also give you slightly more power, and easier starting.

Good luck,
AV8TOR
Old 08-29-2007, 11:42 AM
platero

take a look to my work in a Hom 25 is in spanish but pictures can help you http://www.hpignitions.com.ar/reform...lite_25_cc.htm
Old 08-29-2007, 11:54 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Too loosen flywheels....support back side of flywheel. Make sure the nut that holds the flywheel on , is loose and flush with end of crankshaft. Just tap on end of crankshaft with hammer...its loose!!!! Capt,n