Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Reversed throttle shaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 11:30 PM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Reversed throttle shaft

Has anybody successfully reversed the throttle shaft on a Zama carb? This is has anyone turned the shaft around so that it exits the opposite side of the carb body?
Old 05-18-2007, 02:51 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Reversed throttle shaft

Works on many Walbros....Haven't tried on a Zama...If the plate screw is centered in the body it should work. All gasser carbs have a spring on the end of the shaft to keep it against the clip on the other end...It's best to leave the spring on the shaft, without it the shaft vibrates back and forth and in time will wear out the ends of the plate and the body of the carb...Leaves a place for leakage and the engine won't shut off when the throttle is closed...
Loctite the screw, you don't want it getting ingested into the engine...
Old 05-19-2007, 08:57 AM
mgnostic

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts

Thanks for the info. I've got my shaft located with spacers so that it is a snug fit. Does anybody know of any threads where some one has modified the shaft for additional length or for adding a different arm for more convenient throttle control? I'm mounting a converted 30 cc homelite inverted on a BUSA Nieuport 17. It would be convenient to have the throttle arm and fuel inlets on top with the needle valves pointing down. I'm using a twister intake manifold to get the shaft in a vertical position. I've considered just getting some brass rod and making a shaft with extended ends. Has anybody tried this?
Old 05-19-2007, 10:49 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've modified many throttle shafts for better or more convenient hook ups. The easiest way is to remove the original piece of metal from the brass shaft. (Grind off the brass where it is swedged to hold the metal piece on.) You can then install a nose wheel steering arm, and have a very nice setup for your throttle linkage. You will have to drill out the collar in the nose wheel steering arm to fit the shaft, and sometimes grind the plastic down a little on the round part of the arm, but it makes a better hookup as the geometry is better with the throttle cable hooked up to hole farther from the shaft than is possible with the original setup.

AV8TOR
Old 05-19-2007, 10:54 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its also not a bad idea to grind a flat spot on shaft where the set screw contacts it. Capt,n
Old 05-19-2007, 11:16 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a pic....

AV8TOR
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68497.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	687256