Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

Kawasaki 40.2cc Leaf Blower Conversion Worth the effort?

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Kawasaki 40.2cc Leaf Blower Conversion Worth the effort?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 08:51 AM
sirlancair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kawasaki 40.2cc Leaf Blower Conversion Worth the effort?

Hi. I have three of these motors that I found in the dump at my work and immediately I thought about their suitability for aircraft use.

I saw that someone had interest in converting these motors also. All three of them have really good compression and they seem to be well built.

I have seen them called Kawasaki tex 45d. The model of the kawasaki backpack blower is bl4500sp and I believe it is the same as the Maruyama BL4500 blower and the poulan bp400le.

Any help would be appreciated and I hate to just throw them away but they are missing the pull starts on all of them and the air tubes are all taped up and worn out so I doubt they have any value as blowers anymore.

Thanks.
sam

Old 05-22-2007, 02:57 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Kawasaki 40.2cc Leaf Blower Conversion Worth the effort?

Take the muffler off each one. You can see right into cylinder and see what shape they are in. I would oil the insides of cylinder a bit and see how free they turn over with spark plug out. The spark should jump gap when turned over fast. They should have crankcase compression. If they seem smooth and are fairly clean inside, wrap a rope around flywheel and try to start one. Be shure to bolt engine down first. Capt,n
Old 05-22-2007, 09:44 PM
buck1856
My Feedback: (49)

how much do they weigh and could you put up a pic or two.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:09 PM
sirlancair

Hey guys thanks. I found this link to this forum and it has pictures of the motors. Hopefully someone will keep this thread alive for me.

I am going to take one apart and start messing with it....but I don't have a lathe or mill to work with. Looks like I have a lot of dremeling to do with cutoff wheels.

Captinjohn. I have no doubts that all 3 engnes will run. They all have great compression and turn over until the compression stroke easily with two fingers. All 3 are missing the recoils and some other parts not related to the engines that were probably robbed to make another blower work. Here's the other link that someone started. I am gonna go to the garage and start disassembly.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_22...tm.htm#2299317

cheers.
sam