Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

Fox .35 "Stunt" coverted to R/C, anyone?

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Fox .35 "Stunt" coverted to R/C, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 02:50 PM
stg61abc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fox .35 "Stunt" coverted to R/C, anyone?

Any of you have converted an Fox 35 Stunt to R/C? what carb you used on it? did you need to cut the venturi out? whats about the performance after the convertion? many thanks
Old 06-15-2007, 02:58 PM
r2champion

Default RE: Fox .35 "Stunt" coverted to R/C, anyone?

My dad and I had one setup the same as you would a 1/2a motor. No carb, just fly till your out of fuel then "deadsticked" to a belly landing. I am sure this is not what you are looking for but thought it might somewhat be helpful. I would imagine modifying the way you want will be a huge (but possible) task!!
Old 06-15-2007, 03:16 PM
tstotts

seems to me all you need to do is find a workable carb with throttle control. got several of those old engines around the shop. will set one up tonight and see if I can find a carb to fit.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:34 PM
tstotts

I couldn't find a fox just some McCoys and K&B green heads. The ease of the job would depend a lot on the shape and size of the venturi on the Fox. Got a pic? Of course you know that you can buy a new in the box .35 R/C for around 65$ or less.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:58 PM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

abc,
I did that about thirty years ago. I used a OS .30 R/C engine carb and a Fox muffler. I think that I filed down the carb snoutIt worked OK, but it wasn't a strong performer. I replaced it with an Enya .29 R/C and had much more power.

Dave
Old 07-06-2007, 09:41 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the conversion also on a Fox 35 stunt. It has been a long time now, but if I recall correctly I used the small perry carb and JB welded it onto the venturi of the fox. Again, if I recall correctly it ran fine but the case busted in a crash when a battery pack failed.

With some resurgence of control line flying, I'd think the fox would be far more valuable without messing with it as RC motors are plentiful.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:42 PM
cutaway

Why not notch the sides of the exhaust and fit an old school exhaust slide throttle? Dead simple and you can do it with an ordinary hacksaw and files.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:56 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The carb for a OS 40 LA would be a good candidate. The carb has been around a long time. The same one was on the OS 40FP. The old ones have the needle valve on the carb. The new ones are remote needle valve.

You would have to squarely file the top of the venturi on the engine down to the right height to where the retaining screw holes in the carburetor align with the needle valve holes in the crankcase. Use the OS screws to retain the carburetor. You may need to use some JB Weld as mentioned above?

The Fox 35 does not have much power compared with the OS 40FP or the OS 40LA. I used to think they had good power until I was around some control line guys that had both kinds of engines on the same design planes last year.

The great thing about the Fox 35 was the 2-4 cycle break in the engine for control line stunt use. It could easily be tuned to four cycle in level flight. If you gave the plane up elevator, the engine would instantly change to a much more powerful 2 cycle mode. This gave the stunt plane a great speed regulator. All this is useless on a R/C model where throttle ability is king.

The Fox 35 is a loop scavenged engine and does not take as kindly to longer periods of idle as do the newer Schnurle ported engines like the OS 40 LA.

You would be less frustrated to just use a newer design engine that already had a R/C carb on it from the factory?