Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

best place for buying gas fuel line?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 10:24 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default best place for buying gas fuel line?

Anyone find a place online with great price on gas proof fueline? What is it TYGON that is the nice stuff?
thanks for any ideas !
Old 06-24-2007, 12:29 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: best place for buying gas fuel line?

This is good stuff: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...ng&FVPROFIL=++

Tower also sells the Tygon tubing, and either works well. Forget trying to find it in the motor repair shops. Been there, done that, and after hitting many shops and finally buying a small piece for an exorbitant price, I ordered some from Tower.

AV8TOR
Old 06-24-2007, 12:34 AM
00airman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I go to my local Autozone and buy small diameter fuel line or most automotive vaccuum lines work fine too. There cheap like 50cents a foot. Prettymuch the same stuff that tower sells through the above link.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:11 AM
av8tor1977

I haven't had much luck myself at the auto stores. The actual gas line is thick and bulky. Most vacuum lines are fuel "resistant", not fuel proof, and will soften and/or swell after exposure to gasoline. Depends on what it is made of....

AV8TOR
Old 06-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Turbobeaver

Like Av8tor1977 said,the hayes fuel line is probably as good as it gets for our gas engines.This product can also be ordered through any local hobbyshop as well.If they order through Horizon,the number to use is HAY249.This is for the 3/32"I.D seamless neoprene tubing that Hayes carries.Most vacuum lines/windshield washer tubings are not gas proof.Prolonged exposure to gas will swell these lines and also in a worse case scenario,start to leach black colored gas into your engines carb.That would be the tubing starting to break down internally.Definitely not a good thing.To check the fuel resistance of unknown fuel lines,immerse them in a jar of gas for a week and see what happens to them.Better safe than sorry.In most cases,even if they turn out to be gas proof,they usually aren't of a seamless nature.Seamed lines will eventually spit along their seams where seamless lines keep on trucking.You pay more for a good quality seamless neoprene but in the long run,it will be money well spent.It's really not that expensive to buy anyways.I just ordered in another two packages of the Hayes 3/32"I.D and it cost me a whole $15 for two packages of the stuff.There are 4ft. in each package in case your wondering.Hope this info helps someone out.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:00 PM
av8tor1977

I use the cheap, (about 15 cents a foot) vinyl/plastic tubing from the hardware store for my flight box/fuel pump connections. It gets a touch stiff but not brittle. I wouldn't use it in an airplane though. For that I use one of the two listed above.

Another source is 1/8" primer fuel line for ultralight airplanes. I've used it with good success, including in the Gas/Glow mix which is part glow fuel and part gasoline. It is a touch too stiff for the clunk line in the fuel tank however.

You can find it here: http://www.rotaxparts.net/Scripts/pr...?idproduct=563

AV8TOR
Old 06-26-2007, 07:03 PM
oldtimer2
My Feedback: (19)

Hi,

Go to WWW.ronlund.com. Search his online store for the hay249 black neoprene. 4 foot for 3.61. he is out of Corups Christi, TX
Old 06-27-2007, 07:27 AM
hollbrow

Just go to your local mower/saw shop and tell them you want a few feet of gas line for a weedeater or chainsaw- they usually have a few different sizes to choose from- so if you can't just look at it and decide, take a small piece of the old one with you. I have never paid more than $1 a foot for it- and that is rediculous since they buy it in bulk- but hey, you gotta have it. I haven't really seen anywhere online that would sell it cheaper- hobby shops make money on stuff like that.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:23 AM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

last time I tried that they wanted around $5 a foot at both shops in town... and at the time I was an unemployed college student
Old 06-27-2007, 11:16 AM
av8tor1977

Yeah, I haven't had any luck at the repair shops buying fuel line. Seems strange. But I spent most of a day one time going to various repair shops, and they either didn't have tubing, or wanted about 5 bucks a foot for what they had.

AV8TOR
Old 06-27-2007, 11:34 AM
hollbrow

Jeez, $5 a foot? I have found that usually those sorts of things are up to the guys' discretion as to what he will charge you- most of the time at a mower shop like that in my area, the guy I'm talking to is the owner- and he decides when you walk in the door and look him in the eye what kind of rate your gonna get on whatever you ask for- if you know your stuff, and ask for it the right way, and don't look like you just stepped out of a law office or something, then you will get a better deal- I know that sounds 'wrong' and I'm not knocking on anyone if they happen to work in a law office, but it is true.
Put on an old crappy T shirt and get down on the guys level and it may help a little bit- just 'socially engineer' the situation a little bit.
May be best not to even let them know what you are working on- just tell them 'that **%#@ weed eater'. Like I said, I have NEVER paid more than 1$ a foot for the stuff. If you ask for fuel line and they go and start looking up a price on it, you're standing in the wrong shop- for that sort of thing.
If its your only option, then whatever they want is about as good as you can do- haggle with them if you can. I'd probably pay $5 a foot before I would go to the trouble of ordering it- unless I was ordering other parts from the same place.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:30 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

that was roughly when I found the nylon tubing at the hardware store for $.15 a foot, so I went that route at the time... since then I've aquired some good stuff so when I get the plane back together (engine is off for mods still) I'll probably change fuel lines
Old 06-27-2007, 12:32 PM
av8tor1977

I've got 5 gassers flying, and more "in the works". I ordered a roll of Tygon tubing, and I'm set. I may order some more of that Ultralight Airplane primer fuel line as well. Nothing worse than being ready to finish a project, and be short 6" of fuel line....

The last few times I fought traffic, sweated in the heat, and burned a lot of $3.00 a gallon gas chasing parts and odds and ends, I decided it was just a whole lot nicer to sit in my air conditioned living room and order things off the internet!! Probably cheaper too when you count the gas burned....

AV8TOR
Old 06-27-2007, 12:37 PM
av8tor1977

Tee hee... Poor "Foodstick" just asked a quick question, and got a "book".

AV8TOR
Old 06-28-2007, 08:01 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

Can this thread handle one more source for fuel line?

mowers4u.com has 7 sizes of Tygon listed and it is about a buck a foot. (His shipping is VERY reasonable and quick, and he answers questions too!)

Probably better than just fuel line, he is also a good source for carb kits and carb gasket kits for Walbro, Zama and Tillotson - at very reasonable prices too.

His site is a little hard to navigate (with non working links and such), but if you start by clicking on carb parts, you will then get working links to fuel line, intake gaskets, and fuel filter clunks, etc.

Hope this helps!

Arlen
Old 06-28-2007, 08:33 PM
av8tor1977

That site also has all the Walbro carb tech info on it. A good resource...

Thanks,
AV8TOR
Old 06-29-2007, 12:04 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Small Hayes seamless is $.50 a foot in 100 foot rolls.....