New engine news...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:31 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New engine news...

I've recently read two interesting articles in R/C Report:

One is that Saito has developed either a 30 or 36cc four stroke model engine that runs on gasoline. Man, I've wanted to convert one of those big Saitos to gas ever since they first came out!! I'm sure it will be very pricey though. I wonder if it runs on a standard oil mix, or if it needs more oil like the glow version.

Also, OS has figured out how to run ethanol with a glow plug. They have modified a .55AX to run on an ethanol based glow fuel. I corresponded with Brian Winch, the engine expert in Australia, and he thinks they use a special glow plug that will heat enough without the catalytic reaction inherent with methanol. OS states that they also modified the compression and carburetion.

Looks like there will be a whole new line of experimenting with Gas/Glow engines if that special glow plug becomes commonly available! Maybe an E-85 fuel based engine will finally become viable. BTW, has anyone tried E-85 with spark ignition? Results? (For those that aren't familiar, E-85 is sold in some areas at the gas station, and is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline.)

AV8TOR