Now this is cool....

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 11:13 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Now this is cool....

Check this out guys! http://www.stihl.us/chainsaws/IEM.html

It's the next best thing to fuel injection. Who's going to be the first to buy one and see if we can adapt it to our uses?

Anyone know where I can get the technical info? (I want to see a schematic breakdown of the engine to see if it can be easily converted.)

AV8TOR
Old 07-27-2007, 12:11 PM
av8tor1977

Default RE: Now this is cool....

After an hour of websearching for technical info on this engine, I finally gave up and e-mailed the company. Incredibly, they answered me in like 10 minutes!! The bad news however, is that they will not release technical info to anyone other than authorized dealers....

So, if anyone lives near a Stihl dealer, and can get them to let you take a gander at their engine schematic diagrams or pictures for the MS 280 C chainsaw, let me know if it is an easy or good candidate for conversion.

Thanks,
AV8TOR
Old 07-29-2007, 01:02 PM
aero nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Bob
It's looks ok but you will still need to use the fly wheel= weight, I think that O.S. has a fuel injection system, dont they?
By the way did you get your brother to fly the Ryan's Rebel?
Old 07-29-2007, 01:09 PM
av8tor1977

Yes, OS has fuel injection, but it's not big bucks, it's Huge bucks... []

Funny you should mention just now about the Ryans Rebel. He is finally finishing it up, and he's going to bring it down here for me to test fly it for him next weekend. He's afraid of it because it's so large. I told him it was going to be a p u s s y cat to fly, but I don't think he will believe me until he sees/tries it.

What are the recommended control throws and c.g.?? Also, is the Ryobi stock? Carb? Muffler?

Thanks,
AV8TOR
Old 07-29-2007, 01:37 PM
aero nut

I've sent you an e-mail but here it goes. CG is 3.75 to 4.75 inches from leading edge of wing(I prefer 4.25). Aileron throws are about 3/4 to 1 inch elevators are 1 to 1.5 inches and rudder is from 2 to 2.5 inches this is relative to what your flying preferences are but is a good starting point, if you can use dual rates.
Wish you goo luck!!!!
Old 07-29-2007, 01:57 PM
av8tor1977

Wow, never got the e-mail. Thanks for the numbers.

Is the carb stock on the Ryobi? (original) I imagine you use an 18 x 6 prop on this setup. What rpms do you generally see?

Thanks,
AV8TOR
Old 08-04-2007, 03:25 PM
radioactiver/c

Its an attempt to satisfy tier 2 emissions by controlling excess rich conditions during part throttle operation, its not a performance gain for steady state WOT operation, where the system goes full power rich and being an open loop system sans feedback from an O2 sensor its not configurable.
It is not FI just mixture control.I'm willing to bet that saw has a catylitic device on it too.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:39 PM
savagecommander

anyone ever own an 87 monte carlo? had the same setup on that. nightmare. i dont see how allowing a electronic device metering fuel is better when carbs do that right off the bat. i guess turning a screw is an inconvienence.