Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Craftsman 29cc 4- cycle conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 10:11 PM
RichieN
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Craftsman 29cc 4- cycle conversion

I’m in the process of converting 29cc 4 stroke engine. The engine is from the Craftsman line trimmer. I’m not 100% sure but I think the engine is made by MTD; the oil plug is on the back-plate of the engine. I know that the engine was not intended to be run inverted but this is the position that would suit my application (1/4 scale Balsa USA Pup) best. I would like to hear about the problems with this installation and perhaps solutions how to minimize the impact on the engine mounted inverted. I did run the engine on the test stand, first up-right then inverted. I know that I will have to relocate the crankcase breather line, inverted is fully submersed in oil and does not serve the purpose. I also notice that the valve cover fills with oil completely. Is this a problem? Should I run the engine with more oil in the crankcase to compensate for the cylinder cavity? What about storing of the airplane? Will oil pass the rings and fill the cylinder head?
All responses are greatly appreciated,
[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46980.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	756346   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70728.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	756347  
Old 09-03-2007, 10:27 PM
tim220225
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Craftsman 29cc 4- cycle conversion

I know that the Briggs engines don't like to run inverted. I know of one that blew up that way. If you know that the valve cover is filling with oil then I would think it can't return to the sump. That will cause issues. More oil in it will only cause more oil to pool where it shouldn't. Best to install it upright . I know that the Briggs engines will run inverted during a maneauver but the plane returns to upright allowing the oil to return to it's sump. Main reason I did the Honda GX-31 for my current project.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Yankee John

Very interesting! Unfortunately I have no information to add to your post- Only an observation.

Definately an MTD-made engine. Your engine bares quite a resemblence to the 26cc version that I own. It came from a Craftsman edger/cultivator. From what I have read, the 26cc version can fly/be mounted inverted, but has some power issues that make it suitable only for only certain aircraft types/weight.

John
Old 09-25-2007, 11:32 PM
DougT
My Feedback: (1)

Try a search on here. This topic has been covered numerous times. I know it will take some sorting through but it is worth it. It gets tiring starting or adding to an extensive thread to have the same question asked over and over and over again. It's not worth retyping everything. Try searching for Ryobi 26cc. It's the same engine except 26cc.