Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Anyone build their own ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 08:04 PM
strato911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone build their own ignition?

My appologies in advance if this has been answered recently, but my search provided no results...

I'm in the progress of my first attempt at an engine conversion for RC (WeedEater® 25cc) and came accross plans for a homemade ignition system at http://www.modelflight.com/ignition.html . Has anyone here ever tried something like this?

I know I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but if this can be done with relative ease, it would be better than using the magneto ignition module, right?
Old 04-04-2003, 08:18 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default This guy did

He made his own CNC coil winder, among other things. I'm sure you don't want to get into all that, but he has a few tips about his trials and tribulations in ignition development.

http://www.5bears.com/curproj.htm

Look under the "Summary Page" as well as the "Spark Ignitions" page.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:00 PM
strato911

Very interesting reading...

His circuit for the TIM6 seems to be a close match to my previously provided sketch:

I think I'll keep it simple and run my first conversion with the magneto. If I later do another conversion, that'll be the time for this type of experiment.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:36 PM
JimTrainor

so.... The ignition works by the sudden discharge of the stored energy in the coil when the transistor shuts off? "Points" is a mechanical switch that opens when it time for the spark plug to fire??

Or the points close to quickly energize the coil then when the points open, and the coil dump it's energy to the plug??? Same difference.

Is it that simple?

Interesting... first time I've thought about this ?!?!?
Old 04-12-2005, 03:12 PM
alex_scratch_built

Default RE: Anyone build their own ignition?

Hi there. I want to build my own electronic ignition system with variable timing advance for a homelite 45cc or poulan 46cc engine. I'm currently researching to find all the components needed.
I think an easy way to to vary the timing is with a pic chip. I found some interresting magnets at http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...363,42348&ap=1

I'm looking for timing advance values or curves for these engines. I would also like some schematics for ignition systems similar to CH ignition or ZDZ ignitions. Thanks in advance
Old 06-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Marlowe
My Feedback: (2)

I am selling a PIC controlled CDI unit for $65.00 plus $4.95 for shipping, handling, and insurance via USPS first class mail for a total of $69.95. Foreign orders will run more.

The unit is a PIC/CDI module, a wired Hall sensor, and rare earth magnet. You supply the spark coil, battery pack, switch harness, project box, and plug lead wire. You can learn more details at http://home.earthlink.net/~marlowedc/CDI

Payment can be through PayPal (fastest way), money order or personal check. If you are interested please send me a private message.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:24 PM
platero

Yes I build a lot of electronic ignition system with advance, in first place only for my engines, but a lot of friends requested to me that I sells one to them, so in this moment there is many engines runing with my CDI. This procces takes a lot of time and money but very funy.
www.hpignitions.com.ar