Big Tiger Moth/Ryobi combo..

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:36 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Big Tiger Moth/Ryobi combo..

Hi,

Just thought I would post some pics of my NitroPlanes 76" wingspan Tiger Moth. It has a Ryobi with an 11mm carb, aftermarket two tube muffler, exhaust port timing raised to 150 degrees, cylinder lowered by leaving out base gasket, and CDI ignition. It turns an 18 x 6 prop at 8500 rpms, which is too high for the Ryobi, but I will put a larger prop on later, and for now just avoid high throttle. That is no problem, because the bipe flies well at less than half throttle, and can do huge loops at 3/4 throttle.

I really like the setup because it flies well, and the engine fits entirely within the cowl. I modified the plane to have four ailerons instead of two, and I am glad I did. It looks like the large Tiger Moth that they sell now comes with four ailerons.

AV8TOR

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44475.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1120150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91815.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1120151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77373.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1120152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng10144.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1120153  
Old 01-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Ram Jet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Big Tiger Moth/Ryobi combo..

Just beautiful. One of my favoite aircraft.

Bill
Old 01-26-2009, 03:12 PM
clocknut

Hey AV8TOR what size is the engine? is it a 31 cc? How does it fly with that engine?That is the engine I have for mine.I do agree with you that engine really fits well under the cowling. I posted some pictures of it last year but I have not had a chance to get back to work on it yet and I have alot to do.What kit is it? mine is a Duncan Huston.I just finished covering my Nutten Special that I will put a 25cc gas/glow in and then I have to cover my ultimate 10-300- and then cover a wing for the Sig LT 40 and then I can start back to work on the Moth.Out here I have a couple months of work time before it gets warm enough to fly so hopefully I will get everything finished.OH yes I have a few engines to finish also.
Have fun out there with the Tiger Moth.
clocknut
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40991.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	1120171  
Old 01-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Ralphbf
My Feedback: (27)

I have the same plane, in the other color.

I have all the servos mounted and centered I just need to finish the Ryobi for it.
I have just been to busy to fly let alone build.

Glad to see the Ryobi does a good job.

With all the power it's making do you think porting is necessary?
Old 01-27-2009, 01:55 AM
av8tor1977

Thanks for the comments guys. I've always loved the classic lines of the Tiger Moth. I've often thought about building a full size one to fly myself. (LOT of work....) I've built RV4's and a Harmon Rocket in full size, but they were for other people. It would be cool to have a Moth to cruise around in on nice days, but in reality it's a dream project I will probably never get around to doing. But hey, the model is fun.

Yeah, it is the 31cc Ryobi. My brother has a stock except for gutted/large outlet muffler Ryobi 31cc on his 14+ lb. Ryan Rebel and it flies just fine, including aerobatics. I really didn't need to hop this one up for this plane, but I'm just that way; I can't leave anything stock!!

AV8TOR
Old 01-29-2009, 10:59 PM
av8tor1977

I forgot to mention that the engine has a Frank Bowman ring as well.

I original design is poor for the ring, as the pin in the piston ring land is the full depth and width of the land, (groove). That makes for a ring with a very large gap. With Frank's Ryobi rings, you either tap or grind the pin down halfway. Then Frank's notched ring fits over the pin, and you have zero, or almost zero ring gap. Helps a lot!

AV8TOR
Old 10-21-2010, 06:13 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: clocknut

Hey AV8TOR what size is the engine? is it a 31 cc? How does it fly with that engine?That is the engine I have for mine.I do agree with you that engine really fits well under the cowling. I posted some pictures of it last year but I have not had a chance to get back to work on it yet and I have alot to do.What kit is it? mine is a Duncan Huston.I just finished covering my Nutten Special that I will put a 25cc gas/glow in and then I have to cover my ultimate 10-300- and then cover a wing for the Sig LT 40 and then I can start back to work on the Moth.Out here I have a couple months of work time before it gets warm enough to fly so hopefully I will get everything finished.OH yes I have a few engines to finish also.
Have fun out there with the Tiger Moth.
clocknut
How do you like your "Nutten Special"?