Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

YS160DZ glow CDI conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 03:04 AM
highside

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YS160DZ glow CDI conversion

Hi Guys,

Having done a YS170 with the YS CDI conversion kit, I did a do-it-yourself job on my YS160 by copying the method of installing the magnet/sensor in the disc valve in the back of the engine (means there is nothing to interfere with a nose ring at the front). No rocket science, but might be of interest seeing as it's 1/3rd of the cost of the YS CDI kit (which still needs machining to make it fit a 160).

http://www.gbrcaa.org/smf/index.php?topic=1706.0

HS
Old 08-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: YS160DZ glow CDI conversion

Would this work on the 140 FZ.? Thanks Rich
Old 09-01-2009, 09:43 AM
highside

Don't see why not. I understand that the disc valve dimensions are essentially the same between 140 and 160, although there are a few variants around depending on when the engine was manufactured.

HS
Old 09-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Baldeagle

HS I am very interested in the conversion. Did you have to change any O rings in the carb? Does the 160 have the same pump asm as the 140? I wonder if the diaphram and plunger will hold up to gas. Thanks a bunch. Please keep me posted. Thanks Rich
Old 09-01-2009, 04:19 PM
highside

Hi Rich,

As I said in the write-up, this is not a petrol conversion. It is a CDI conversion, but I'm still running glow fuel.

The YS170CDI and the YS170 CDI conversion kit engines also still run glow fuel, not petrol. This is to keep the performance at the same level - power would be reduced by converting to petrol and, lets face it, you don't go to the trouble of running a YS unless you need the power.

Unfortunately, the YS170 CDI conversion kit is around 175 pounds (200+ USD) and needs some machining to make it fit a YS160.

You may ask why convert to CDI but still run glow fuel? For me, from my YS experiences, two reasons:

: smoother tickover, easily at 1700rpm, and gorgeous mid-range
: fuel consumption somewhere around 60% to 75% of glow ignition flying F3A pattern schedules (this is because the engine can be leaned out, particularly in the mid-range, without detonation). I have gone from burning 21oz in a 10m flight to burning around 16oz for the same flight.

Top-end power is unaffected, neither better nor worse.

Hope this clarifies things. Obviously no need to change o-rings etc since still running glow fuel.

A
Old 09-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Baldeagle

Yep I missed that part about running glow fuel, But it still sounds interesting. Thanks for the reply. Rich