RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Engine Conversions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/)
-   -   gas fuel with glo plug no ignition (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/1267448-gas-fuel-glo-plug-no-ignition.html)

savagecommander 05-08-2007 09:28 AM

RE: gas fuel with glo plug no ignition

hey thanks for the help on the mix but why would the extra 10% be a problem?? and let me get it strait... i dont need to put the 2 cycle oil in the gas... right?

av8tor1977 05-08-2007 09:57 AM

No, you do not add additional oil.

The 10/10 glow fuel with gasoline mix that I came up with has about the right proportions of everything. It ends up at approximately 3% oil content (33 to 1), which is a touch rich but ok. It has about 3% nitro, which has been working fine in the engines we have tested so far and helps the idle and transition a bit. And it has somewhere around 30% methanol, which has proved enough to keep the glow plug lit without the battery connected.

If you mix with another type of glow fuel, you start throwing the proportions off. For example 20/20 glow fuel, obviously has more oil than the engine will need by double, and can cause carbon build up and other problems. It has more nitro, which may or may not be ok for a given engine. And finally, it has less methanol, which may prove to be a problem keeping the glow plug lit.

While everyone is obviously welcome to experiment, I recommend the proven mix for the best results. Also note that we use a four stroke glow plug for the most reliable operation.

AV8TOR

av8tor1977 05-08-2007 10:07 AM

HEY RysiuM!

Welcome back and congrats on your pilots license. Getting mine was one of the best things I ever did in my life. As an instructor, a bit of advice: Now that you have your license, keep flying! Sometimes people get their license and then don't fly much. (Usually to try to recover financially.) But I always stress that it's important to keep flying to re-enforce what you have learned, and to keep learning.

Good idea on the glow driver. My thoughts as well. I don't have any current problems with needing glow power, but having one could provide a more reliable setup, and would make start up more convenient.

AV8TOR

savagecommander 05-08-2007 10:26 AM

ok..... makes sense:D

av8tor1977 05-08-2007 10:35 AM

It has been mentioned in previous pages, but for newbies here:

The 10% oil, 10% nitro glow fuel is made by all the major manufacturers and is commonly called "Glow Fuel for Large Super Tiger Engines".

AV8TOR

ROOSTERLEW 05-08-2007 03:23 PM

Rysium,

Thanks for getting back to the heart of the thread...I am working along the same track of no glow fuel, please post your results!

aero nut 05-08-2007 03:34 PM

Hi savagecommander!!!
If you have 20/20 fuel you'll need to mix equal parts of the 20/20 with methanol that mixture will end giving you a 10/10 glow fuel. then you can mix it at 1 part 10/10 glow fuel with 2 parts high octane gasoline to achieve the mixture that we use for gas glow. that's the way I make it.
Aero Nut.

savagecommander 05-08-2007 03:48 PM

hmmm... dont know if i can get methanol around here.....

av8tor1977 05-08-2007 04:47 PM

Try speed shops for full size race cars...

AV8TOR

Ralphbf 05-08-2007 05:06 PM

Go Cart Shops.

savagecommander 05-08-2007 07:37 PM

i'd like to say yall are very helpful....

captinjohn 05-08-2007 09:17 PM

You can find achohol fuel at speed shops and also where the run dune buggies or high performace off road stuff. Capt,n

captinjohn 05-08-2007 09:32 PM

On another note..... If you have a kinda high compression conversion...it may be more easy to use strait alcohol fuel, with no nitro. Like a Moki glow engine. With gasoline getting high priced, I do think you will save $$ if you mix your own fuel. All you will need is some Klotz oil and alcohol. Thats what I am ging to try. Gas will leave more carbon in you engine also...over achohol fuel. Just my opinion. Capt,n

savagecommander 05-09-2007 07:31 AM

these things are going to be funnycars before we know it:)now when you say alcohol thats not just strait de-natured right? i'm new to blending and have NO clue about it...i wouldnt be against it but i think my engine is kinda low in the comp department and i dont think i can boost it....

captinjohn 05-09-2007 09:03 AM

Savage-C: Taking the base gasket out will raise compression. Use Yamabond to seal it again. Also machining a few thousands off base of cylinder with a Lathe will raise compression. Capt,n

ROOSTERLEW 05-09-2007 11:36 AM

Alcohol - methanol

av8tor1977 05-09-2007 12:09 PM

Yes, not ethanol. Ethanol won't work as it doesn't have the necessary catalytic reaction with the platinum in the glow plug.

AV8TOR

jrjr2u 05-09-2007 12:50 PM

So has anyone been running straight methanol and oil through their Walbro carb?
How much have you run through it and is there any bad effects to report if so?

Edit-
I dunno, gas may be at $3 a gallon but methanol is $5 a gallon here.
Using a gas mix will cut down on the fuel usage too won't it?

av8tor1977 05-09-2007 01:23 PM

An engine needs approximately twice the alcohol as compared to gasoline. Most Walbro and Zama carbs will not flow enough pure alcohol for an engine without modifications to the jets and internal passages.

There is a carb that will flow enough without mods, but I can't remember the number. RCIGN1 knows....

AV8TOR

jrjr2u 05-09-2007 01:34 PM

Thats good enough... it makes it roughly double the fuel consumption of straight gas and around 2/3 more the cost of gas/glo
Guess I will stick with that :D

aero nut 05-09-2007 05:31 PM

Yea that's what I was going to emphazise on, Methanol requieres twice the amount of it to give you the same running time as gasoline or gas/glow, that translates to a bigger tank or shorter fligths besides finding an oil that will blend with methanol, whereas gas/glow or gasoline will take any 2 stroke engine oil (less expensive)

captinjohn 05-09-2007 07:00 PM

The Nitro in your glow/gas mix adds to yhe price. Nitro also makes fuel consuption higher. If a person can get the Methanol cheaper than gas....I still think mixing your own can save money. I will check it out more. Capt,n

av8tor1977 05-09-2007 07:35 PM

The nitro also helps keep the glow plug lit, and aids the idle and transition response.

It's a good system and I now have 5 airplanes flying on Gas/Glow; and none on regular ignition anymore.

I don't see how you can beat the fact that even if you could buy methanol for the same price as gasoline, (and you can't), it is going to use twice as much as gasoline. It's just physics and basic math...

I get the 10/10 glow fuel for $15.00, and two gallons of high test gas for about $7.00. That's $22.00 for 3 gallons of Gas/Glow mix, or $7.33 a gallon. A 16 oz. fuel tank flies my Poulan 42cc for about 15 minutes!! Try that on pure methanol!

AV8TOR

captinjohn 05-09-2007 08:20 PM

I ran my 25cc homelite on the gas/glow mix. I did seem somewhat better on fuel...but NOT twice as much. Like you say its just physics and basic math. You are comparing strait gas to strait glow fuel......but your mix has 331/3 percent glow fuel in it. So 2 times as much consuption is with the wrong math figures. Correct? In 3 gallons of my mix, I will have $15 TOPS for alky, plus .75 for oil= $15.75or about $5.25per gal. Your milage may vary! Capt,n

rotnem 05-09-2007 10:11 PM

http://www.smartplugs.com/engines/2stroke/index.html