RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Engine Conversions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/)
-   -   Scratch Built Ignition??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/743937-scratch-built-ignition.html)

foamcutter 09-25-2003 09:12 PM

RE: Scratch Built Ignition???

RCIGN1,
Are your coils already wound or is it just the core? Do you have the specs on the windings if they are already wound? Thanks Ron

Antique 09-26-2003 12:16 AM

I have no idea..There are 3 pairs of wires coming out..TKG knows what they are, maybe he'll see this ....

ZAGNUT 09-26-2003 01:23 AM

if you guys go back to the beggining of this thread you'll find that ANeat posted a link to the rcm construction article of this ignition.

alot of ignitions today use a dc-dc converter wound on a bobbin and double E-core. much easier to do than the toroid and can probably be found ready made. i'll dig for some links to post later.

dave

fokker38cc 09-26-2003 02:05 PM

jmj
Hi, I have a Homelite 38 cc converted and running with CDI , I take the HV coil from a Honda XT 600 , the Honda Transalp have the same coil, very ruged construction, tolerate all abuse I can make , short circuits, open circuits, open ground (sparks everywhere, not recomended), very cheap, you can take from a motorcycle repair shop, even the discarded.
You test, it is only three leads to change, new are also cheap.
Good luck
Jose

tkg 09-26-2003 07:46 PM

RC no idea what the wind ratios are. Most were custom wound for the special needs.
But one should be close enough to work ina homemade CDI.
Leads are input(primary), output(secondary), feedback.

Sukhoi_One 10-10-2003 11:07 AM

Hey guys:
I have the TIM-6 ignition now mounted on my ryobi. It seems to be working great.
It will hand start very easy. I am going to try to get the engine mounted back in my plane and see how it does in the air. I turned down my flywheel and installed a magnet from CH, it's a little larger magnet ( gives me a larger dwell angle). Set it at 30deg. BTDC. Has anyone tried a 6 volt battery with this system? The 4.8v battery seems to work fine, but was wondering if I would get a stronger spark at 6v.

Sukhoi_One

Antique 10-10-2003 12:31 PM

ANY spark that will jump the gap and run the engine is enough..More spark will not make the engine run any better, and migh cause RF interference in the radio....

Rambo-RCU 01-18-2004 03:22 PM

Hey fellas I just found this thread and am wondering if any of these units would work well with a Q35 w/points so i would'nt have to use a pickup coil and magnet.I'm mostly wanting to shed weight off the engine.I'm not afraid to do a little kit building ,soldering,whatever.Any and all help appreciated.[&:]

ZAGNUT 01-18-2004 03:33 PM

at [link]http://www.5bears.com[/link] you'll find a couple of simple circuits for use with points. theses are for kettering ignition, if you want CDI then the RCM ignition in th beggining of this thread is a good choice

dave

Rambo-RCU 01-18-2004 05:13 PM

Ok Dave thanks alot.BTW whats kettering ign. I know what CDI is and can i use the coil that came with the q35 or do i need a different one.This would also be of interest to me as I also use Ryobi's but I know i would have to trigger them somehow.Thanks again and this is a very interesting and informative thread.[&:]

ZAGNUT 01-18-2004 05:41 PM

kettering ign is the type used on cars and such, the old Q35 is also this type...the energy for the spark is stored in the big heavy coil instead of a light little capacitor

you most likely can use the old coil, i have done this with old mcculloch coils but even after sawing away the un-needed part of the core they are HEAVY

don't know about the ryobi coil, even if it isn't CDI it will still have all kinds of transistor crap potted into the casing and i doubt you'll be able to hook it up right, i may be wrong though

dave

captinjohn 01-18-2004 11:51 PM

HI: Very good stuff here!! If anyone can post any photos of the systems they are using please do so. This is a good time to do so. One picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks Capt,n

Antique 01-19-2004 10:25 AM

Anyone wants another "blue light special" I will sell you a built and tested circuit and a hall sensor and magnet for $35 plus shipping..It takes 200 ma at any speed and will run on 4.8 or 6 volts..I have used these for 16 years and they are very reliable...They are larger than the C&H circuit....You will need a spark coil ..This is the bare circuit only, no box..
Coils are available from C&H, boxes from Radio Shack....I don't recommend Modelelctric coils because of the high voltage input from the CD circuit.....

Rambo-RCU 01-19-2004 02:09 PM

Hey guy's I'm pretty well convinced I'm going to use Jerry Howells TIM 6 kit and Modelectric PE coil on my Q35 with points to trigger it.This should work out fine for me cheap and reliable.I'm merely interested in shedding some weight.Does anyone know how to make a hub to take the place of the flywheel just to strengthen the area where the crank threads end in case of crash.I'm thinking of using a Ryobi flywheel as iI have several spares and the taper appears to be the same.Question is how to cut the center out? Thanks all help much appreciated.[&:]

Antique 01-19-2004 03:37 PM

Make a hub that exactly fits the crank diameter and put the threads deeper into the hub....

strato911 01-19-2004 10:28 PM

I had one machined from a solid aluminum cylinder.

av8tor1977 01-20-2004 09:02 AM

I have taken the center out by drilling multiple holes all around the center, then knocking the center out and dressing it round on a grinder. Sometimes you can also use a hole saw to drill the center out.

Look up my post on "cheap prop hubs".

Take care,

AV8TOR

Rambo-RCU 01-20-2004 09:58 PM

Very cool your gonna think I'm lying but I even wondered if that could be done.I have 3 or so disposable Fwheels so I think I'll try on at least one.Thank you VERY much for that input , now I don't think I'm crazy.[&:]

av8tor1977 01-20-2004 10:48 PM

You're welcome.

I converted my first motor (to electronic ignition as well), when I was living in Mexico, and had nothing more than a battery powered Dremel, a file, a hacksaw, and a drill with me! With patience, you can do anything!!

Good luck and have fun,
AV8TOR

Rambo-RCU 01-21-2004 12:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You got it Dude check out my before and after pics of a plane a buddy of mine crashed on it's 3rd. flite and refused to repair it so he gave it to me.This is the one I'm working on ign. project for BTW I'm going to try JEH system as that Q35 has a very health set of points and I know they last forever with trans. ign. Thanks again[&:]

av8tor1977 01-21-2004 02:21 PM

Wow, nice work! I'm the same way, and often rebuild wrecks that most people wouldn't touch. I seem to enjoy those planes more than my other ones because I have little financial investment in them and I'm not quite as worried about crashing them.

Have fun!
AV8TOR

Rambo-RCU 01-22-2004 10:10 PM

Hey I cut out a hub today and turned it down to about 1" od.so that should make a decent shoulder for prop adapter to set against.Thanks your idea worked great.[&:]

av8tor1977 01-23-2004 12:02 AM

Cool. Glad I could help!

Take care,
AV8TOR

av8tor1977 01-23-2004 12:09 AM

Another tip, since I thought of it.

Some of my weedies came with a magneto nut that had a long shoulder, or pilot, where the cable for the weed eating head plugged in. On a couple of my motors, I cut out the hub like we have talked about, and used it to mount the magnet for the electronic ignition. Then, the crankshaft threads were a little too short to mount a prop on. So I used that long nut. I cut it slightly shorter so that the length of that shoulder was the same as the depth of the prop hole, drilled it the rest of the way through, and tapped it all the way through. Then I reamed the prop out to match the o.d. of the shoulder on the nut, and then installed the prop with the nut on backwards and the shoulder going through the prop. Works great.

Make sense?

AV8TOR

captinjohn 01-23-2004 09:25 AM

av8tor....can you please post a photo of the way you done that ...you know the neat flywheel update!! Thanks Vapt,n