RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Engine Conversions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/)
-   -   CH Ignition (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/8875902-ch-ignition.html)

Kimhoff 06-23-2009 10:26 PM

CH Ignition

I bought a CH ignition that has the timing advance built in. CH told me to set the static ignition at 28-32 degrees before TDC? If this is correct how can the igniton retard to anythig less than the seting of 28-32 before TDC. Shouldn't the static timing be set at 4-8 degrees? I can see see how the timing could be advaced from this point based on the engine RPM that could be measured by the time between pulese.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

RC Extreme power 06-23-2009 10:38 PM

RE: CH Ignition

Why question them, They have been doing ignitions for longer than we have been using gas engines for model planes, It works set at 28 deg.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8868990/tm.htm

Milton

w8ye 06-23-2009 10:44 PM

The timing doesn't advance. It retards

A fast flip past the sensor will retard it about 16 degrees and it doesn't get to full advance intil up around 4500

If you think about it electronically, it could only retard

av8tor1977 06-24-2009 12:32 AM

Yes, "auto advance" is a misnomer; it should be "auto retard". There is a computer chip in the ignition that senses the speed (or rather time) that the magnet is under the sensor. At very slow rpms, like when you slowly turn it over by hand, the timing is advanced. That way you can set the timing at your desired max advance. When the engine is turning a few hundred rpms, the ignition retards itself for starting and low speed running, then starts advancing as the rpms rise up to where you initially set it when the rpms reach 4000.

AV8TOR

tkg 06-24-2009 12:40 AM

What he said........

pe reivers 06-24-2009 07:54 AM

also what my strobe tests showed. :D

captinjohn 06-24-2009 02:39 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: av8tor1977
I will say the description how it works is very good. But any ignition tha advances the timing with the RPM increasing...is a auto advance ignition. Capt,n

av8tor1977 06-24-2009 08:19 PM

You do love to argue Captain John.... :D

AV8TOR

tkg 06-25-2009 12:35 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: captinjohn

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977
I will say the description how it works is very good. But any ignition that advances the timing with the RPM increasing...is a auto advance ignition. Capt,n
No that is incorrect. An ignition that is an advancer STARTS with the timing around 4-5 deg BTDC. An ignition that is a retarder starts around 30 Deg BTDC and retards the timing at low RPM. As the rpm increases it returns to its starting point. It does not advance, it retards less.
Why don't we just call it Computer Controlled Timing.:D

av8tor1977 06-25-2009 12:59 AM

Thanks Terry; I didn't want to "get started" and get into a huge unnecessary discussion about it. Remember the big "Top Dead Center" debate some time ago? ;)

AV8TOR

pe reivers 06-25-2009 07:48 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: tkg

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977
I will say the description how it works is very good. But any ignition that advances the timing with the RPM increasing...is a auto advance ignition. Capt,n
No that is incorrect. An ignition that is an advancer STARTS with the timing around 4-5 deg BTDC. An ignition that is a retarder starts around 30 Deg BTDC and retards the timing at low RPM. As the rpm increases it returns to its starting point. It does not advance, it retards less.
Why don't we just call it Computer Controlled Timing.:D
Terry,
It is good to know if the ignition is an advancer or a retarder if you consider how to set the timing.
Advancers need to have the timing set at between TDC and 6° BTDC
retarders must have a setting of 20° - 35° BTDC, depending on engine make and application.

Some advancers, like the VLACH and Falcon are/were in fact super retarders. Because the pickup signal came too late to fire the same cycle, the signal time was stored and used to fire the next cycle! If I am informed well, they used the mean of the last 10 cycles to do that. When starting, these were fixed timing ignitions, switching to super retarding when the engine was running.

captinjohn 06-25-2009 09:33 AM

Oh...we had fun with that advance-retard thing...yup tis great to know this stuff. That is why it is a good idea to read as much as you can before you try something new!!! I sometimes reply to postings here & there just to get that extra data placed for new experimenters!!!! Best Regards capt,n:D

pe reivers 06-25-2009 01:22 PM

;)

Of course ALL electronicaly advanced ignition advance the firing as rpm rise. 'tis just the way how they do it.