Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Esky Helicopters
Reload this Page >

My HoneyBee2 wont take off

Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

My HoneyBee2 wont take off

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 09:15 AM
lyjo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My HoneyBee2 wont take off

OK i see there are a few problems with the HB2... But still seams to be a fair heli...
What is the consensus on the this heli and does anyone know if any of the upgraded for other heli's will fit?
Old 12-06-2004, 11:52 AM
pileit

NOT COUNTING THE SWASH PLATE PROB. WHICH IS FIXABLE WITH A DROP OF GLUE.MAKE SURE U CLEAN ALL OIL/DIRT FROM AREA.I HAVE MADE SEVERAL SHORT FLIGHTS AND CRASH LANDINGS(I VERY HEADSTRONG)I KNOW I CAN FLY THIS THING.HOW HARD COULD IT BE,I FLEW THE REAL THING IN SERVICE -YEA RIGHT-IF ONLY I COULD CLIMB IN IT.ANYWHO AFTER LOTS OF ABUSE INCLUDING A POLE THAT JUMPED INTO MY FLIGHT PATH,NO MAJOR DAMAGE,JUST WAITING FOR A NEW SUPPLY OF BLADES. ITS A VERY TOUGH BIRD AND MORE PARTS/UPGRADES COMING ONLINE DAYLY.I WOULD NOT BE THIS CAREFREE IF I HAD DROPPED 2 GRAND ON A GASSER.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:16 PM
lyjo

One second Questions? I'll assume everyone has the 11.1v Li-ion Pack..
How long are your flights?
How long is the Charge?
Has anyone tried Ni-CD or Ni-MH (If so how many cells / voltage?)

Just a few questions as I have one sitting under the Tree.. The wife is making me wait till Christmas to open with my Sons As one is getting the 2-channel Heli and the other an Electric Air Hog... Just want to know what I'm getting into..

I have a Concept 30 and only got to the Hover.. then side tracked with a Move.. I now don't want the mess and my Brothers AeroHawk flies Great (with a few upgrades... )
Old 12-06-2004, 02:35 PM
tnd2000

Those lipos will keep it in the air for a long time. I never timed mine, but it should be 20+ min on the 1800mAh.
The FP version runs on 9.6v I believe.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:16 AM
jaomi

hi i'm new here. i was just wondering what kind of glue is best to fix the swash plate. thank you
Old 12-13-2004, 02:14 PM
pileit

about the glue,a small drop of either super glue or ca on the inner race does the trick.if it comes apart again start looking for a new one.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:54 PM
jaomi

thank you i will give it a bash.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:38 PM
roeyman

again how can i adjust the pitch?!?!
i get new one toady with the same problams?

doess the main blades can be movable..or should i put the screw strong that he will not let tham nove at all??
Old 12-14-2004, 09:13 PM
tnd2000

You can adjust the pitch of the honeybee2 by changing the length of the pitch control link. You'll shift the curve only. If you adjust it this way, you may not have enough -pitch to fly inverted afterwards.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:21 AM
rcmodelr

ORIGINAL: lyjo

One second Questions? I'll assume everyone has the 11.1v Li-ion Pack..
How long are your flights?
I got about 10 minutes flight 3 days ago... Tonight, I got another 10 minute flight on the same battery without recharging. Total flight time on this charge? Almost exactly 20 minutes... Just slightly less.

How long is the Charge?
Didn't time charge time. Got Celectra Li-Po charger & let it charge outside until charger detected full charge.

Has anyone tried Ni-CD or Ni-MH (If so how many cells / voltage?)
My HB2 came with an 8.4 volt 650 Mah Ni-Mh battery... What a waste with this heli!!! Not enough power to get heli off ground!!! Only got light on the skids for about 45 seconds before battery discharged enough that heli would only tip tail-up. Unable to completely leave the ground at any time with 8.4 v pack supplied.

Just a few questions as I have one sitting under the Tree.. The wife is making me wait till Christmas to open with my Sons As one is getting the 2-channel Heli and the other an Electric Air Hog... Just want to know what I'm getting into..

I have a Concept 30 and only got to the Hover.. then side tracked with a Move.. I now don't want the mess and my Brothers AeroHawk flies Great (with a few upgrades... )
[/quote]
Old 01-02-2005, 01:02 PM
DVOHAY

Now that I understand that the battery pack it came with is not strong enough (but what pack SOULD I get?), it still doesn't explain why the heli slides to the left all the time. and it wants to roll tot he right. When I press to compensate for the left slide and the roll right, it just slides quicker and doesn't roll.

All this while never leaving the ground.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:26 PM
steve736

Got the same situation here! Always slides to the left and I don't know what to do. Do folks change the pitch curve or is it best to leave it factory set?

Steve.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:15 PM
DVOHAY

I have altered the prop pitch to achieve a smoother control. I have also successfully glued the upper section of the swash plate to the inside of the lower halves' bearing. I used super glue, and a pin. Be carefull not to get any glue inside the bearing housing, or on the central shaft.

Still no word on the better battery pack. There has to be someone out there who knows the name of a good battery pack strong enough to fly my HB2. Please help me. The included battery pack is just not strong enough. Although, the factory B-pack is good for learning how to slip across the floor, and to also get the back end up enough to slide forward.

My HB2 also shakes a little when it is first winding up. after it gets to speed it smoothes out.

After i get the engine up to speed, how do I give it positive pitch? When I push my throttle lever all the way up, the green light on the control box turnes red, and the when the RPM's drop, it takes the power away.

Problems all around for this beginner RC Heli flier. }>V<{
Old 01-02-2005, 07:31 PM
mpakZ

Im new one on hellis and i've got the same problems as you,but i found some answers.
You almost erase the shaking if you loose the big blades screws so much that they fell down with their own weight if you pick up at 90 deegr. the helli.
Also the other smaller blades should be exactly balanced each other and with the head.
I wont glue the upper section of the swash plate to the inside of the lower halves' bearing cause i believe after a crash is better for it to go out again than to move the forces to all the sytem and maybe destroy it.I just press it back.
My battery is LiPo 1800mA and give me about 20' of trying to flight and not crash.The think with the light you said happens to me but after it becomes red the helli takes off very fast and crashes somewhere
Please explain me what did you do to have a smoother control, my helli is very nervous!which of the three servo is the prop pitch?
And another question,do you charge your tx batteries through the plug it got on the right side?what charger?

lets share our probs and solutions to do some progress.

ORIGINAL: DVOHAY

I have altered the prop pitch to achieve a smoother control. I have also successfully glued the upper section of the swash plate to the inside of the lower halves' bearing. I used super glue, and a pin. Be carefull not to get any glue inside the bearing housing, or on the central shaft.

Still no word on the better battery pack. There has to be someone out there who knows the name of a good battery pack strong enough to fly my HB2. Please help me. The included battery pack is just not strong enough. Although, the factory B-pack is good for learning how to slip across the floor, and to also get the back end up enough to slide forward.

My HB2 also shakes a little when it is first winding up. after it gets to speed it smoothes out.

After i get the engine up to speed, how do I give it positive pitch? When I push my throttle lever all the way up, the green light on the control box turnes red, and the when the RPM's drop, it takes the power away.

Problems all around for this beginner RC Heli flier. }>V<{
Old 01-02-2005, 07:41 PM
I &amp; C Tech

ORIGINAL: DVOHAY

Still no word on the better battery pack. There has to be someone out there who knows the name of a good battery pack strong enough to fly my HB2. Please help me.

You want to look for a 3 cell lithium polymer pack. That could also be called an 11.1 Volt Li-Po pack. I'm using a 1450 mah pack with good results so far. Less capacity should mean lighter weight and therefore more agressive performance. We haven't pushed ours into fast forward flight yet so I don't know how our battery will work out in all flight modes. One source of these batteries would be EBAY. Do a search on some of the above verbage and you'll quickly find several options on capacity.

The shaking is normal. If it doesn't smooth out at speed then you can be concerned.

The up to speed and more pitch question was discussed on another thread but I'll share my experience with it. We found the same problem even when on the 11.1 volt li-po. We decided to decrease the length of all three servo arms by turning the linkage clockwise 1.5 turns. This resulted in lower head speed at hover and lift off at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Also be sure your swashplate is level (with radio on) after those linkage adjustments.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:47 PM
I &amp; C Tech

ORIGINAL: mpakZ

which of the three servo is the prop pitch?
This is a CCPM heli. That's Collective Cyclic Pitch Mixing which means all three servos work together to move the swashplate up and down for collective pitch and to control the tilt of the swashplate which is cyclic pitch.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:07 AM
Poll

I actually moved the pitch by moving all the servo arms down a notch, I then had to slide the, uhh... part 47 up.... I did this to force the pitch to the max, to make sure it wasn't that. It still doesn't lift off with authority... it climbs very very slowly . . . I'm thinking about purchasing a new main motor, hopefully something that won't burn out the (esc?)... anybody know how many amps this thing can handle?