Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

Esky Lama V3

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 09:26 AM
buacc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Esky Lama V3

Just got their newsletter about this model:
http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...oducts_id=3784

Anyone try this model before? The price seems reasonable and I just want to buy it.
But I can't find they provide parts on this model.
Anyone can tell me where i can buy the parts?
Old 04-15-2006, 10:09 AM
jez33

Default RE: Esky Lama V3

think some one said a few pages back that they are just a lama 2 but with a face lift!

i fly the lama 2 which is a very good heli i think so if you dont already own a lama 2 then get the lama 3
Old 05-13-2006, 05:46 PM
robbiecoxm2z

The Lama V3 is a Lama 2 with a cosmetic facelift so look at the Esky lama thread For lots (and lots) of info. I have one and I really like it.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:11 PM
beeper0358

Guys,
How long have you been using your coco lama? I'm thinking of buying one but not sure about the 4in1 unit that comes with it. I have a BCP and it jumps like crazy when the receiver or servo (dunno what else) glitches [&o]
Old 07-30-2006, 10:16 AM
J-Cube

I completely agree with beeper0358. I want to know exactly whats up with people saying that the 4 in 1 burns on the Lama.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:36 PM
mj008

Is the esky lama v3 the same as the coco lama? I found it very confused on grandhobby.com
Old 07-30-2006, 05:55 PM
J-Cube

The V3 is a "cosmetic face lift" of the co co. Consider them the same.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:28 AM
neweheliflyer

The Lama 2 (V3) is the [link=http://www.linknety.com/modevideos/demo/zoom.php?id=14]good beginners rc helicopter.[/link]
Old 07-31-2006, 09:55 AM
taoist flyer

Weather it is the lama 2 or 3, for around $100 you are getting at least a few 100 hours of flight time before you burn out parts (motors batteries 4-in-ones). I think that it’s a pretty good deal.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:42 AM
helinewbie

and the esky lama v4 is coming next month, i'm waiting for it... i got my robins22 from this site and just found that they posted the lama v4 to release on 1 feb... check out the video there too..

http://www.rc711.com/shop/product_in...roducts_id=126
Old 01-11-2007, 09:22 PM
retired911guy

The Lama V4 looks distinctly like a Blade CX2.

Now, my problem. Hello, folks. I am a new Lama V3 owner and after trimming it out to a fairly stable hover, I tried it outside under no wind conditions. Everything was going along fine when it took an instantaneous nosedive into the ground from about 50 ft. altitude with no control input from me after flying correctly for about a minute and a half. It was a HARD landing. I searched all around the crash site for the stabilizer bar and could not find it anywhere. This leads me to believe that the bar went flying off on its own and the heli immediately crashed. It was either that or some type of radio glitch that shut it down and the stabilizer bar was catapulted into another county. Has anyone had any experience with the stabilizer bars flying off during flight or the radio hiccuping causing a crash? It was only on its 3rd battery charge. These helicopters could be called "flying frailties". They sure are delicate. It will cost me $100 for the helicopter and $500 in parts before I get the hang of it, I think. Comment, please(ref: the possible cause of the crash only).
Old 01-12-2007, 12:20 AM
jsonin
My Feedback: (4)

I recently bought the Lama v3.

I love it... when it flies.

I've flown it for a total of 7 flights. On the 4th flight, I was ~20' in the air when the plastic top of the inner shaft broke and off flew the stab bar. I replaced the inner shaft and on the 7th flight, this time around 25' in the air, the plastic top of the inner shaft broke again.

I'm not thrilled so far with the durability. Note: it hasn't crashed and I've been flying it strictly indoors in a large space (50'x50'x100').

Am I doing something wrong in the setup? It flies beautifully for a couple flights, then pop goes the plastic part on the top of the inner shaft. The blades seem to be aligned. I think I was giving it full forward thrust when the shaft top snapped; maybe that's the problem.

I've ordered the aluminum upgrade.

?

-Juhan

[picture mid-hover: http://flickr.com/photos/38869431@N00/344745201/]
Old 01-12-2007, 07:45 AM
retired911guy

Juhan, I think mine was in max forward flight when the flybar/stabilizer bar flew too. The Blade CX2 has a screw above the stabilizer bar to prevent that problem. The plastic yoke for the stabilizer bar is just not up to the task. I think you solved your own problem with the aluminum upgrade, which is exactly what I am going to have to do. Good luck.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:17 AM
rsiaviation

ORIGINAL: retired911guy

Juhan, I think mine was in max forward flight when the flybar/stabilizer bar flew too. The Blade CX2 has a screw above the stabilizer bar to prevent that problem. The plastic yoke for the stabilizer bar is just not up to the task. I think you solved your own problem with the aluminum upgrade, which is exactly what I am going to have to do. Good luck.
Hello,
What happens with the fly bar is that when in forward flight and you turn sudenly you throw the fly bar all out of wack and that causes it to crash. You can see what I mean be running up you motors while holding it and tilt it in one direction then quickly in another. That is what causes your lama to crash. About the fly bar comming off in flight I don't know why that is occuring but it has never happened to me and I have had it since the end of august and it has been great.

Rsiaviation
Old 01-12-2007, 09:11 AM
retired911guy

I guess mine was just a bit defective from the factory because it came off twice in little bumps while I was trimming it out. I did not think it would come off during normal flight with no contact with anything. It appears I was wrong. I watched some videos of the Lama V3 on YouTube before I bought it and it looked like one guy had a similar problem. It appeared that it just quit flying for no apparent reason a couple of times on him when it got about 50 feet away. I do not know what he was doing with the controls at the time so that is a variable I know nothing about. I was also wondering if there are any reported problems with the radio link between the heli and the transmitter. Mine was in straight forward flight when it crashed. It could have been the stabilizer bar coming off or a radio failure. I have 3 helicopters and two of them are down from crash damage. If I can successfully re-install the tail rotor motor on my 22E, then I will have something to fly this weekend with my son. My BCX2 is in flyable condition, but the body is cracked and one of the battery holder tabs is gone. I would love to fly one of them longer than 2 minutes.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:54 PM
LittleMacV

Hello Retired911guy-

I’m also investigating why my Lama V3 is crashing. I got the thing for Christmas and did some hovering around the house – no problem. I took it to my R/C club meeting and let them know how great a deal it was at $99. Then I took it to the club sponsored high school gym fly in. After about 2 minutes or so, it fell out of the air from about 10 feet like someone blasted it with a gun. It came down as it had hard left and aft cyclic applied. It hit the floor pretty hard, but had only cosmetic damage. Back home in the shop, I checked it all out, replaced the Tx batteries, and again hovered for several minutes – right there in the shop. No problem. So off we went to the next high school fly night. First flight, same thing. Hard left; hard aft; and again it splashed on the floor! Now I’m thinking radio failure.

What Rsiaviation points out is interesting however. Both times mine crashed, I had full forward cyclic. After both crashes, my flybar was out of the shaft head. Maybe this is a mechanical problem??? Anyone else having problems with their Lama's?

Let me know if you found anything more on this – Thanks.

- Doug
Old 01-30-2007, 12:43 AM
retired911guy

Hi. A little more to report. When mine crashed, it was in forward flight also. I truly believe the stabilizer (flybar) came loose and took off for parts unknown. I never found it. The receiver, as it turns out, was trashed in the crash as well as other parts. Mine took a nosedive from about 50 ft. up. It may have been a radio problem as well. I have seen too many videos of the Lama just falling out of the sky for no apparent reason. Personally, I think they DO have a radio problem. Something that lends a bit of credence to that idea is that my replacement 4-in-1 receiver looks NOTHING like the one it replaced. I initially thought someone had screwed up but it said it was for the E012, which is the designation for the Lama. I had fun figuring out what went where as there was zero documentation with it. I have one adjustable trim "pot" on the receiver, but no idea what it affects. I had ordered the aluminum upgrade parts for it, but the day after I did, I discovered the receiver was junk, and got them to cancel the order. I spent the money on a new receiver, and ordered metal parts for the Blade CX2 instead. I just got the Lama flying tonight as the parts came in this afternoon from Nitroplanes.com. By the way, there was absolutely no problem with my order (Thank you, Tommy, and have fun in Nuremburg). Since I don't trust the plastic upper blade shaft and stabilizer mount, I glued a short piece of flat plastic from the trashed skid assembly across the top of the upper shaft. There is no room to put a small screw there (like the CX2). I don't know if it will help, but it sure as heck won't hurt. I do not trust the stock stabilizer mount to hold it in place. The SLIGHTEST imbalance in the stabilizer bar will put a tremendous amount of stress on that unsupported bit of plastic. I highly recommend the aluminum upgrade parts for it. I also have a Walkera 22E and the tail motor stopped spinning in one direction. After 4 replacement motors, I got the fifth one installed without breaking it...and guess what, it does not spin in one direction!! Obviously the receiver is bad, and it never suffered a serious bump! I started looking for a replacement as well as an aluminum swashplate(I found it comes apart under stress) and while looking for these, I found RC-Fever. com. I can order a whole helicopter for the price of the receiver and a couple of more parts. You can buy the chopper most anywhere for $100 and I found it for $86. If you had to build it out of parts, it would probably cost you $500. So I am going to order a whole helicopter and use the first one for parts. That makes a LOT of $ense. This would be the really smart thing to do on any bird that costs about $100 or so, unless you're an expert and don't crash them any more. I am not an expert, but I'm getting better.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:30 PM
J-Cube

I never crash my Lama... unless I fly nose in. Can someone help me with that?
Old 01-31-2007, 11:15 PM
LittleMacV

Hey Retired911guy,

What was the part number on that replacement 4-in-1 Rx? Is that an Esky part, or another brand? I just reassembled my Lama using a Blade CP inner shaft (mostly because my local hobby shop had one). It went in with a few shims and works well. I flew the thing in my basement and again no problems. I’m wondering if my receiver doesn’t like the RF in the high school gyms (lots of 27 and 72 mhz traffic). I’m also wondering if it could be the fluorescent lighting, but that’s a long shot. I’m considering putting an e-Flight 3-in-1 or 4-in-1 to replace the Esky receiver.

Question: Did you ask the vendor or Esky for any help? Even at $100, these things should fly reliably.

Is anyone else’s Lama V3 causing them grief? Please chime in.

J-Cube – Practice, practice, practice…
Old 02-06-2007, 09:05 AM
retired911guy

Sorry to take so long to respond. I have been in the hospital with a total knee replacement. I am moving around a little now. The information on the thin side of the receiver says : The "4 in 1" for E012. The information on the bottom of the receiver, which is as I noted earlier, about half the thickness of the original one, says that it is a Model EM210B. I have managed to get it trimmed out and it is fairly steady in hovering in my home, but I really need a bit larger area to test it in. As soon as I am able to hobble over to my garage, I will test it there. I have a large open room that I can let it out a bit in.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:30 PM
vega2614

I was pretty interested in flying the Lama in a larger space than my basement, like outside or in a gym, but your horror stories have scared me. My Lama flies like a well-oiled machine when I'm no farther than 20 feet away. Very responsive and hovers really well. I've gone more than 10 seconds hands free with it just hovering in front of my face.

That being said, I haven't gone without problems. The stabilizer bar holder is the bane of my Lama's existence. It definitely seems to be the weakpoint in a crash. I have broken 3 inner shaft heads (the stabilizer bar holder) already. I also broke both the knobs on the top rotor blade holders that the stabilizer bar clips on to. I will order the aluminum parts soon.

Right now, the stabilizer bar I have on is cracked, so the bar is slightly loose. However, I've done some pretty crazy stuff with the Lama and it has never disconnected mid-flight <knock on wood>. I'm not sure how the holder could break mid-flight unless there's some resistance in its rotational (yaw) motion. I would think there's minimal dorsal/ventral forces on the stabilizer bar, so it would have to pry open the holder walls to fly out. Maybe those having an issue with this should try a new inner shaft, upper rotor blade holder, and stabilizer bar just to make sure, because even with my already weakened holder, the bar doesn't come out.

Speaking of doing crazy stuff, for a while I had some difficulties with the chopper going into a crazy death dive after turning 180 degrees after FF, but now that I've gotten better at aileron/elevator control, those problems don't really occur anymore. I think you just need counter the way the heli is falling to re-stabilize it. I always make sure I'm at decent altitude if I do that so I have plenty of room to recover if I do get caught off-guard.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:12 AM
CCbusa05

OK fellas, it's been a while since I have been on this site, but here's the scoop. Your flybar WILL NOT just decide to take flight on it's own! What occured to you was the infamous "death roll" of the Lama V3. The cause, simply put, is due to abrupt full cyclic direction changes, the blades clash and send the flybar off into the wide blue yonder and down she goes. I have 4 Lama V3s and fly them as they were intended, indoors OR absolutely no wind conditions outside at a height of no more than 10 feet above the ground. I had one occasion of the death roll when I was showing off in front of the camera and almost took my poor spouse's head off, yikes. I learned my lesson and haven't had a single mishap since and we're talking many, many battery pack's worth of flying. These little gems are designed for concise and smooth cyclic input, anything else and you're courting disaster. I also have a BCX2 that I immediately removed that flybar screw from because incase I do crash it will hopefully fly off rather than break the inner shaft hub.
Happy flying guys, I hope this explanation helps a little!? I consider the Lama V3 one of the best indoor buys you can get! At $99 shipped from helidirect.com it's the best bang for the buck out there, IMHO.

Smooth, concise control is you're ultimate goal with the Lama V3:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638525
Old 02-11-2007, 03:26 AM
vega2614

Sometimes my Lama goes into a death roll even when there are no collision noises of any kind. It happened a little bit ago. I went full forward for about 20 feet and gently eased off on the elevator (not abruptly). The helicopter suddenly lost stability (no visible or audible changes were noticed) and smacked into the ground sideways pretty fast. Upon impacting the ground, the stabilizer bar flipped off. I've never had the stabilizer bar come off midflight unless I hit something, like a wall. The instability might be due to the stabilizer bar having trouble righting itself after it was at such a large angle during FF. It's kind of annoying, particularly because I don't know how to fix it.

One question: how would the upper and lower rotor blades clash exactly? They are quite a distance apart. I assume you mean stabilizer bar and upper rotor blades clashing. I think I need to get someone to take some high fps video of the chopper and see if I can get it to freak out on film. I'll then do an analysis and try to figure out exactly what's happening.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:32 AM
vega2614

Nice vid by the way. Your Lama seems very stable. I'm jealous of your huge room with large ceilings. Have you ever tried flying with the ceiling fan on? That would be quite a challenge .

I don't know if it's the video/audio quality, but I notice all Lamas sound a bit different. Yours seems a bit higher pitched than mine: http://youtube.com/watch?v=e5ji4mABGIk .
Old 02-11-2007, 04:05 PM
CCbusa05

Nice flying there! I liked the unique from underneath shot, very nice!
OK, I stand to be corrected, and so do you...........in a 'clash' the flybar makes contact with the "lower" blades, the flybar is angled away from the top blades so it's impossible for them to make contact, but those abrupt control changes can cause the flybar to actually tip down far enough to make contact with the lower blades.
I hate to admit to my heli-fever-sickness, but I have several and yes, some seem to have a higher pitched whine to them than others. I think it's these el cheapo motors, they make a lot of racket, but seem to last a good while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.