Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

HBK2 doesn't work!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 07:06 PM
redbaron9898
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HBK2 doesn't work!

i just got my new HBK2 yesterday, i have flown it twice. The third time i flew it, it hovered for about 1 min and then the motor slowly went out in about 10 seconds. every thing else works exept the heli does not run up (doesnt spin). The cyclic pitch just goes up and down. i cheacked all of the conections and everything is fine. i was flying on a full battery too.

what tooth pinion does the stick setup come with
Old 10-06-2007, 07:32 PM
blade_killer

Default RE: HBK2 doesn't work!

dead motor.....time for a Brushless upgrade
Old 10-06-2007, 10:06 PM
dillweed

The stock motors run stupid hot and don't last. Scott's on the money. Go Brushless you'll love it.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:06 PM
crimsonrain22

mine did the same pulled out the brushes and they were almost wore down, flipped them over and reseated them and have been flying that way since. Mine did this on the 5th battery. Had about 5 more since flipping the brushes. Dont expect it to last long and have already ordered a esky 3900kv and speed controler
Old 10-07-2007, 12:09 AM
KCinNC

ORIGINAL: crimsonrain22

mine did the same pulled out the brushes and they were almost wore down, flipped them over and reseated them and have been flying that way since. Mine did this on the 5th battery. Had about 5 more since flipping the brushes. Dont expect it to last long and have already ordered a esky 3900kv and speed controler

go ahead and get the Brushless setup....and ENJOY that HBK2
Old 10-07-2007, 02:56 PM
redbaron9898

ok i just bought a esky 3800kv and a 25 amp speed controller kast night
i knom that you have to do minor mods to the motor mount, i heard that the 3800 actually has a little more power than the 3900
Old 10-07-2007, 03:41 PM
blade_killer

you have to sheer off the motor mount lip and elongate the holes sideways because the motor is wider then stock, and then at the back of the mount where the motor sits against the frame, you need to dremel that area out so the motor can sit back further so the pinion will mesh with the main gear.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:47 AM
kevs182

Not that I'm saying you should stick with the stock motor (and you haven't), but just to eliminate other possibilities, was throttle trim set to low?

When I got my King 2, I had the hobby shop owner test the heli in my presence so I could see everything was in order. When I got to my hotel room, I tried it out. The motor twitched once and died! The following day it was back to the hobby shop and the motor was changed out. I also got a brushless motor and switched ASAP when my second stock motor died (it couldn't have been more than 5 flights).
Old 10-08-2007, 05:57 AM
kevs182

ORIGINAL: blade_killer
you have to sheer off the motor mount lip and elongate the holes sideways because the motor is wider then stock, and then at the back of the mount where the motor sits against the frame, you need to dremel that area out so the motor can sit back further so the pinion will mesh with the main gear.
I'm not using the Esky 3800 kv B/L, but it might be best if you look at the mounting holes first before elongating the holes on the motor mount. On many b/l motors, there are four mounting holes. One pair of holes is set farther apart than the other. The closer-set pair of holes just might match the stock motor mounting holes (it did on mine) and ergo, drilling out the motor mount holes will be unnecessary.

Any shaving of the motor mount must be kept to a minimum so as not to compromise its strength. Some HBK2 fliers are now beginning to report their mounts breaking in mid-air. Wouldn't be surprised if these are related...

Old 10-08-2007, 08:47 AM
Joe K
My Feedback: (1)

Go brushless
You may want to read this thread, I added a stiffener that works great.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6254257/tm.htm

Old 10-08-2007, 07:37 PM
redbaron9898

thanks guys for the info
Old 10-09-2007, 06:55 PM
DrunkRabbit

The 3800 Kv motor fits into the HBK2 main frame without having to elongate the motor mount holes. You do have to trim off some material on the frame to allow the larger diameter of the 3800, but the motor has 4 holes and 2 different hole patterns. The set with the shorter distance between the two line up fine.

I've got 2 birds with 3800's in them.

Good luck
Old 10-10-2007, 10:25 AM
blade_killer

talk about a real "D'oh" moment, sheesh, I wish I'd known the 4 holes are 2 different patterns and it also figures I'd pick the wrong holes given a 50/50 chance.....anyone want to go to Vegas? LOL
Old 10-10-2007, 02:53 PM
redbaron9898

thanks guys it will be a breeze