Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Esky Helicopters
Reload this Page >

glitch in esky dauphin still

Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

glitch in esky dauphin still

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 07:47 PM
bdalton85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glitch in esky dauphin still

OK GUYS I STILL HAVE GLITCH IN MY ESKAY CO-AXIAL: I tried putting new batteries in tx and it crashed,so i fixed it back up with new parts drove about 3miles out into the desert tried agin and low and behold crash glitch, and problem was still there so any help would be helpful please. i will be here to answer any ? you guys might have for me.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:37 AM
blk822

Default RE: glitch in esky dauphin still

Are you just getting blade clack....where you manuvere to hard and the upper blades hit the lowers??
Old 02-19-2008, 03:17 AM
kennyt

ORIGINAL: bdalton85

OK GUYS I STILL HAVE GLITCH IN MY ESKAY CO-AXIAL: I tried putting new batteries in tx and it crashed,so i fixed it back up with new parts drove about 3miles out into the desert tried agin and low and behold crash glitch, and problem was still there so any help would be helpful please. i will be here to answer any ? you guys might have for me.

just recently found a fix for my glitch problem in my belt cp. i opened up the transmitter and wd40'd the contacts on my right stick (the left was fine). closed it back up and fired up my heli. result: no more glitching. if i would have done this sooner, i would have saved myslef from crashing. hope that works and good luck
Old 09-13-2009, 05:38 AM
dauphinak

My Dauphin has now developed a new problem. When I connect the battery the gyro light goes green as it should, however it makes a little buzzing noise and there are the sudden twitching on and off. Also every now and then in mid-air it twitches too, kind of like a car sputtering. Naturally the chopper loses altitude and it is quite dangerous if you have furniture under the chopper to crash onto! I changed both crystals but has made little difference. This problem is there even when the TX batteries are full, all green lights! Has anybody had this problem? Could it be the TX or is it the 4 in 1?

ORIGINAL: bdalton85

just recently found a fix for my glitch problem in my belt cp. i opened up the transmitter and wd40'd the contacts on my right stick (the left was fine). closed it back up and fired up my heli. result: no more glitching. if i would have done this sooner, i would have saved myslef from crashing. hope that works and good luck
[/quote]
Old 09-13-2009, 06:18 AM
pgroom_68

ORIGINAL: dauphinak
My Dauphin has now developed a new problem. When I connect the battery the gyro light goes green as it should, however it makes a little buzzing noise and there are the sudden twitching on and off. Also every now and then in mid-air it twitches too, kind of like a car sputtering. Naturally the chopper loses altitude and it is quite dangerous if you have furniture under the chopper to crash onto! I changed both crystals but has made little difference. This problem is there even when the TX batteries are full, all green lights! Has anybody had this problem? Could it be the TX or is it the 4 in 1?
Hey Dauphinak,

[sm=50_50.gif]...sounds like neither Tx nor 4in1, but the seating of your new crystals - in that they are not making consistent contact.

Peter[sm=shades_smile.gif]
P.S. Try pulling out and reseating your crystals fully - probably at the Tx end (doesn't cost anything!) to see if it solves your prob.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:42 PM
dauphinak

Hi Peter. Thanks for the tip. I will try that today and keep you posted. Cheers Alistair
Old 09-14-2009, 01:02 AM
pgroom_68

Hi Peter. Thanks for the tip. I will try that today and keep you posted. Cheers Alistair
Hey again Alistair,

I am an ex-pat New Zealander - from Mt Albert in Auckland actually. (Just noticed you are from there)

P.S. For Dauphin ideas when you want to mod - [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8793950]try this link[/link]!
...and [link=http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=80_204_188&products_id=3182]this fuselage[/link] looks wicked!!
Old 09-14-2009, 06:14 AM
dauphinak

Hey Mt Albertian. I live in Bucklands Beach. Thanks for the links. I love the white fuse. The fuselage of my chopper looks as if it has been to Baghdad and back. There are at least 6 broken areas. I reckon I will keep it going for a while till I manage to crash less frequently! Not that I crash really, I just land uncontrollably at high speed! The chopper still twitches in mid air randomly and I have tried everything short of changing the 4 in 1 which is mega expensive here, varying between NZ$70 up to NZ$119. It is crazy man. The dauphin has been a great trainer though. Maybe if I get the six numbers this Saturday, I might get me a Belt CP V2 (wishful thinking)! Cheers Alistair
Old 09-14-2009, 06:42 AM
pgroom_68

Hey Mt Albertian. I live in Bucklands Beach. Thanks for the links. I love the white fuse. The fuselage of my chopper looks as if it has been to Baghdad and back. There are at least 6 broken areas. I reckon I will keep it going for a while till I manage to crash less frequently! Not that I crash really, I just land uncontrollably at high speed! The chopper still twitches in mid air randomly and I have tried everything short of changing the 4 in 1 which is mega expensive here, varying between NZ$70 up to NZ$119. It is crazy man. The dauphin has been a great trainer though. Maybe if I get the six numbers this Saturday, I might get me a Belt CP V2 (wishful thinking)! Cheers Alistair
Hey again Alistair,

Try [link=http://www.controlfreaks.co.nz/Spares-ESKY+Lama+V4/c5_13/p68/ESKY+35Mhz+4+in+1+Controller+-+EK2-0705B/product_info.html]controlfreaks.co.nz[/link] - this guy is in Dunedin - his prices are usually not cheap, but $65 + about $7.50 p/h seems about right.... Good luck with the six numbers - I can't win!

P.S. I take it your Dauphin is FM?!?
Old 09-16-2009, 02:32 AM
dauphinak

Hi Peter

Yep. It is FM35. Today I had a bit of a blade strike and it dented the blades a tiny little bit, like a mil dents in a few places. Since then
the chopper is vibrating a bit. It still flies Ok, but makes a fluttery noise. The damn things are so sensitive. I have not put xtreme blades
on as I thought, crashes then might bend the shaft etc. Also what are your thoughts on replacing the top shaft with the ones that are
8mm longer? Cheers Alistair
Old 09-16-2009, 03:17 AM
pgroom_68

Hi Peter

Yep. It is FM35. Today I had a bit of a blade strike and it dented the blades a tiny little bit, like a mil dents in a few places. Since then
the chopper is vibrating a bit. It still flies Ok, but makes a fluttery noise. The damn things are so sensitive. I have not put xtreme blades
on as I thought, crashes then might bend the shaft etc. Also what are your thoughts on replacing the top shaft with the ones that are
8mm longer? Cheers Alistair
Hey again Dauphinak,

Change blades out now to the Xtremes - the vibrations that you are experiencing now may shake something else apart! You won't bend anything (I hope[sm=red_smile.gif])

The 8mm extra gap is not enough to totally eliminate blade strike - it actually (from extensive tests) requires a 23mm gap increase. The closest to this is the 20mm extending [link=http://www.rchelicoptershop.net/catalog/lp0002-turbo-shaft-for-lama-dauphin-comanche-p-342.html?osCsid=0te84cq6sd5bc1jetsdambgaf6]Turbo shaft[/link]. There are others available (eg. [link=http://www.helitek-rc.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=9]2.0 Super-shaft[/link]) that extend the inner shaft by the same amount but they need you to purchase a metal head upgrade also. If you are planning to do that - consider the super-shafts.

The Turbo shaft is manufactured (and only available) from RCHelicopterShop.com in HongKong - but it only takes a couple of weeks to have it shipped to the US.

I am running both products and recommend the "Turbo shaft" to everybody - 'cause it is a wonderful & easy upgrade!
Old 09-17-2009, 09:38 PM
dauphinak

Today the chopper started making really unusual noise. As it turned out the lower gear (the one connected to the thin shaft) had major wear on it so I have ordered a new gear. The wear and tear on these choppers is huge man. So far I have changed one motor, one shaft, crystals and now a gear and of course I have gone through a zillion blades too. Also the battery holder's back bracket broke too! I have become a full time mechanic with little time to improve my piloting skills! I think the cause for the huge wear on the gear could be due to flying whist the chopper was vibratingexcessively. You are right, the vibration can damage other components of the chopper and should be nipped in the bud.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:10 AM
pgroom_68

Today the chopper started making really unusual noise. As it turned out the lower gear (the one connected to the thin shaft) had major wear on it so I have ordered a new gear. The wear and tear on these choppers is huge man. So far I have changed one motor, one shaft, crystals and now a gear and of course I have gone through a zillion blades too. Also the battery holder's back bracket broke too! I have become a full time mechanic with little time to improve my piloting skills! I think the cause for the huge wear on the gear could be due to flying whist the chopper was vibrating excessively. You are right, the vibration can damage other components of the chopper and should be nipped in the bud.
Hey again Dauphinak,

The EK1-0321 Gear A (gear at the base of the inner shaft) is common to most coaxials - so you can get ones for Lama V3 V4, comanche, Robins 22, Eflite's Blade CXs (BCX) fit - even Apache (not an Esky either). Ebay has lots - just search for "Lama Gear A". [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/2-X-Esky-EK1-0321-Gear-Shaft-Set-A-for-Lama-V4_W0QQitemZ270402031878QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_C ontrol_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3ef5379106&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116]This[/link] is one of the better deals that I have seen recently - due to the cheap postage........

The Esky blades are crud (for want of a stronger word) and I advise not to even bother running them 'cause you are always changing one or two of them out after every crash - put on the Xtreme blades and concentrate on learning to fly & enjoying yourself I say

Is the broken bracket on "the battery holder" or the pillar that it screws onto (and actually part of the frame?) as this is a common break.

Try to enjoy yourself

Old 09-18-2009, 06:42 AM
dauphinak

Hi Peter

It is the the Velcro part that is broken, next to the back wheels. With Ebay, do they deliver to NZ? I saw a Belt CP V2 2.4GHZ for US$199.99 which even gst added comes to NZ$350. They are NZ$450 here.
I ordered parts from ControlFreaks last night. Xtreme blades and the gear thing. They don't stock the battery thingie cos he does not sell Dauphins, but RC Bandit at Ellerslie has them. Sorry to moan about all the repair jobs. My flying skillshave improved heaps over the past few months, as I can use the warehouse at work. I bought a second hand Dauphin for my daughter last month and we are going to try some formation flying or it might end up as formation crashing! I will keep you posted.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:09 PM
pgroom_68

Hi Peter
It is the the Velcro part that is broken, next to the back wheels. With Ebay, do they deliver to NZ? I saw a Belt CP V2 2.4GHZ for US$199.99 which even gst added comes to NZ$350. They are NZ$450 here.
I ordered parts from ControlFreaks last night. Xtreme blades and the gear thing. They don't stock the battery thingie cos he does not sell Dauphins, but RC Bandit at Ellerslie has them. Sorry to moan about all the repair jobs. My flying skills have improved heaps over the past few months, as I can use the warehouse at work. I bought a second hand Dauphin for my daughter last month and we are going to try some formation flying or it might end up as formation crashing! I will keep you posted.
Hey Dauphinak,

I don't think a Collective Pitch (CP) helicopter is a very good idea for you at this stage. They are VERY difficult to set-up correctly and WHEN you do crash (even the slightest heavy landing) something breaks and it sits on your bench for a number of weeks which turn into months until you have the time, patience and $ to get it back up flying[:'(] (ask me how I know that) The next level of helicopters that I DO recommend for you is called Fixed Pitch (FP). The FPs have one main rotor plane (made up of two blades - not two rotor planes one on top of the other made up of four blades like the Coaxials) AND one rear smaller rotor spinning "inwards" so it counteracts the torque of the main rotor plane. The blades are at a fixed "pitch" so raising and lowering the throttle gives you and removes altitude as well as engine rpms/head speed - following?
A 2.4G Honeybee FP cost US$99 - but buy one from an online store in HongKong as they add reasonable shipping being in our world "neighbourhood" - [shipping for USA can add US$77 which nearly doubles the price you have to pay]

PM me with your name & address there in Bucklands Beach and I will post you one of the spare battery trays that I got for my Dauphin a while ago and won't use, for free if you still need one. It is the least I can do for a fellow Aucklander. Ah, Ellerslie - just the name leads me to believe that it has been to long since I visited my parents in Sandringham.
[link=http://www.ebay.co.nz/]ebay.co.nz[/link] is one of your better bets for common Dauphin parts[sm=wink_smile.gif] - and yes, international sellers such as HongKong DO post to New Zealand without any problem - most of the parts that I get for my Big Lama and Lama4s come from HongKong. YOU DO HAVE TO WATCH THOSE CURRENCIES though - but having a paypal.com account the currency exchange is done for you automatically and before you click "Confirm Payment" you can see the final amount in your local currency (always helpful[sm=teeth_smile.gif])

Are you into the bling-thing for your birds, or doesn't it matter what it looks like as long as it is in the air? If it is the former, order one of [link=http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3182]these[/link] fuselages - it is the only variation to the red or battleship gray that you can get (without buying cans of polycarbonate spray and masking & painting your own)

Anyway I raved enough now

Enjoy flying in that warehouse

P.S. I would be interested to see a couple of pics of yours and that second-hand Dauphin in flight (but not at the same time obviously). Here is a pic I took of mine on the ground out of the box - I changed blades soon after trying out the airy2s as they cone to much![:@] I haven't yet found a way to convince my friends to come fly with me!

UPDATE: Alistair, I just had a peek at [link=http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_79&products_id=2341]2.4G Honeybee FP[/link] and the best deal is at Miracle-mart.com for a limited time - US$85 (+US$33 shipping to MY address as an idea)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37406.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1277695  
Old 09-24-2009, 07:43 AM
dauphinak

Hi Peter
Sorry about the delay. I agree with you, maybe a Honeybee FP is a better option. Thank you for your offer of sending over the battery holder part, it is very kind of you, but it will cost you more in postage than the price of the item. I super glued the holder and it seems fine. Bad news: I bought an 8mm longer shaft and it is not straight. It makes the chopper vibrate. Is there any way of straightening it? I also got some Xtreme blades and they are just great. Much more efficient and very quiet. I took some photos of the choppers tonight and I will put them on soon so you can see the modified nose of my chopper! BTW Hobby Hangar in Hamilton is bringing in the FP V2 soon. I am not sure if it will as good a price as Hong Kong. I will keep you posted. If I get my hands on some cash, I might order from HK, as an early Xmas pressie to myself!
My skills are improving. I can fly in circles and do figure 8's as well, only in the warehouse though. At home I still can't do much as the lounge is only small.

Happy flying
Alistair
Old 09-24-2009, 09:51 PM
pgroom_68

Hi Peter
Sorry about the delay. I agree with you, maybe a Honeybee FP is a better option. Thank you for your offer of sending over the battery holder part, it is very kind of you, but it will cost you more in postage than the price of the item. I super glued the holder and it seems fine. Bad news: I bought an 8mm longer shaft and it is not straight. It makes the chopper vibrate. Is there any way of straightening it? I also got some Xtreme blades and they are just great. Much more efficient and very quiet. I took some photos of the choppers tonight and I will put them on soon so you can see the modified nose of my chopper! BTW Hobby Hangar in Hamilton is bringing in the FP V2 soon. I am not sure if it will as good a price as Hong Kong. I will keep you posted. If I get my hands on some cash, I might order from HK, as an early Xmas pressie to myself!
My skills are improving. I can fly in circles and do figure 8's as well, only in the warehouse though. At home I still can't do much as the lounge is only small.
Happy flying
Hey again Alistair,

Hope the glue holds! Seriously, if you want me to post a small light plastic part to you I will. I will charge the postage to work - no skin off my nose. I have another "battery tray" spare, and spares for the Dauphin are going out of production soon, so if you can't get it...........
I'm not sure that an 8mm extension is enough - you need closer to 20mm (23mm actually to TOTALLY eliminate blade strike). However,Re. straightening a shaft. Remove anything that you can from it. Roll it on glass/mirror (or ANY totally flat surface) to see exactly where the bend is - you can usually "hang" the head of shaft over the edge of the mirror to keep it out of the way. Hand-straighten (use some muscle) - a little at a time - checking again constantly.
Ensure that you have control over your bird at ALL stages of the figure-8. There is one place where this is tricky - I think you know where I mean - it is not quite nose-in but the difficult spot!

Tell me how you get on straightening the shaft (or you can save your $ and buy a [link=http://www.rchelicoptershop.net/catalog/lp0002-turbo-shaft-for-lama-dauphin-comanche-p-342.html?osCsid=i3fqnh1p0o6271tn5gla4bbeb7]Turboshaft US$14.90[/link] with a CNC head, 20mm gap - it even comes with a spare shaft)

P.S. Looking forward to those pics
Old 09-25-2009, 07:21 AM
dauphinak

Hi Peter

You are right. I will order the Turboshaft. Repairing the bent one will drive me stark raving bunkers! Here are some shots. The clean looking ones are the shots of the second-hand one I got through Trademe and the battered and bruised one is the one I bought new. Check out the nose job I have done on my chopper. Pretty grim! By the way, I am still waiting for a replyfrom the supplier of the bent shaft, not good.

Cheers Alistair
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92886.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	1281952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71490.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	1281953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16056.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	1281954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl26029.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	1281955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vg55047.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	1281956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kb44234.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1281957  
Old 09-25-2009, 08:53 PM
pgroom_68

Hi Peter
You are right. I will order the Turboshaft. Repairing the bent one will drive me stark raving bunkers! Here are some shots. The clean looking ones are the shots of the second-hand one I got through Trademe and the battered and bruised one is the one I bought new. Check out the nose job I have done on my chopper. Pretty grim! By the way, I am still waiting for a reply from the supplier of the bent shaft, not good.
Cheers
Hey again Alistair,

"Not good" is right. The only damage that I have encountered from post is when I sent a couple of parts to someone else and he emailed me a few days later saying that they were damaged. That was the last time I posted things without lots of bubble-wrap....
Order a [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Esky-LAMA-V3-V4-Helicopter-Metal-Head-Upgrade-Parts-S_W0QQitemZ270356159889QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Co ntrol_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3ef27b9d91&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14]metal upgrade set[/link] from ebay NOW (out of HongKong they are around NZ$15) ...OR by typing "lama upgrade" into the search line of ebay New Zealand and choosing one that (with postage) adds up to be the cheapest - or has free postage! (You don't need any of the other products that they try to flog off to your in their packages)
That way it will arrive near the same time as your Turboshaft and you can install the metal swashplate at the same time - saving taking your bird apart twice! You can install the inner hub (in two parts) also - BUT do not install the cnc blade grips![:@]
The story goes that I didn't heed the advice of an experienced flier (it would be a year ago now[sm=72_72.gif]), tried to run the blade grips WITH lots of threadlock thinking that would be OK ...They flew apart after a while with pieces everywhere - hitting the dog etc etc. It wasn't pretty I'm thankful that I wasn't hurt, 'cause the head was spinning pretty fast at the time!! [The parts that actually "let go" their grip is the box-shape around the actual blade grip - it is screwed together with four pins.....]

Have you developed a successful and gentle way of landing that thing without tipping over yet?

Old 09-26-2009, 04:10 AM
dauphinak

Hi Peter.
That upgrade set is really cheap man. Cheapest I have ever seen. Well worth getting. Yep I can land the monster pretty good, though at times with the Xtrem blades it tips over just before zero throttle! Good news, managed to straighten the shaft. Total fluke though! I took the chopper for a spin at the warehouse and did some running take offs, circles and figure 8's. Had a serious near miss. I lost sight of the chopper behind some pallets, losing 10 feet of altitude and landed on another pallet, tipped over the edge but luckily I managed to control it and land the demon. Dude that was freaky! What did you think of the photos?

Cheers Alistair
Old 09-26-2009, 09:36 AM
pgroom_68

Hi Peter.
That upgrade set is really cheap man. Cheapest I have ever seen. Well worth getting. Yep I can land the monster pretty good, though at times with the Xtrem blades it tips over just before zero throttle! Good news, managed to straighten the shaft. Total fluke though! I took the chopper for a spin at the warehouse and did some running take offs, circles and figure 8's. Had a serious near miss. I lost sight of the chopper behind some pallets, losing 10 feet of altitude and landed on another pallet, tipped over the edge but luckily I managed to control it and land the demon. Dude that was freaky! What did you think of the photos?
Cheers
Hey again Alistair,

Mate the pics are great! I can tell from the damage how dedicated to learning to fly you are! I learnt two other things from the pics also. 1. A new use for kitchen sponges. and 2. that your battery holder really IS damaged very badly!

Your luck with flying astounds me! When I lose sight of my bird, you can place a bet that when I glimpse it again it will be sitting upside down near the base of a wall somewhere (even if it doesn't have any damage).

P.S. Did you see [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8793950]my pics[/link] of "nail-as-an-axle" undercarriage? It really helps to stabilize your Dauphin "just before zero throttle"!
P.P.S. How did you straighten the shaft? Did you drive yourself "stark raving bonkers" and remove and JUST DO IT?!?
Old 09-28-2009, 06:31 AM
dauphinak

Hi Peter

I had a look at your bird with the twin wheels. Ingenious man. Looks great and would definitely help the roll-over problem. Excellent colour scheme too. The red colour scheme was never my kind of colour, but they ship them as that. If and when I get a new fuse, I will go for the white one you mentioned earlier on. It looks mega kool.

BTW on Saturday I was flying the monster at the warehouse and as I was at the highest point (you can guess where I am going with this) around 20ft high, the motor suddenly stopped and the soaringeagle metamorphosed in to a turkey. It hit the ground like a sack of spuds! As I was approaching the wounded bird, I felt like the remains of a zebra at the Serengeti surrounded by burping vultures! Thank god I only cracked a few areas on the fuse. It was a hell of bang mate. After 10 min of cello-taping it was up and away again pirouetting like psycho!

One dude at RC Bandit thought the engine cut outs or the spazing can be due to a motor being faulty. I remember it had this problem when even new, but to a much lesser extent. What are your thoughts on this problem?

Re the bent shaft, it was just a fluke that I straightened it. I stood the shaft on its head close to a can of fly spray ( the straightest thing I could find) and turned the shaft by 90 degrees, observing the gap between the shaft and the can and gradually muscling it to were I thought it should be! A trial and error process. It took about 1/2 hour at least. It was painful! It is still not a 100% straight but there is no vibration so I am happy.

Cheers
Alistair
Old 09-29-2009, 07:49 AM
pgroom_68

Hi Peter
I had a look at your bird with the twin wheels. Ingenious man. Looks great and would definitely help the roll-over problem. Excellent colour scheme too. The red colour scheme was never my kind of colour, but they ship them as that. If and when I get a new fuse, I will go for the white one you mentioned earlier on. It looks mega kool.
BTW on Saturday I was flying the monster at the warehouse and as I was at the highest point (you can guess where I am going with this) around 20ft high, the motor suddenly stopped and the soaring eagle metamorphosed in to a turkey. It hit the ground like a sack of spuds! As I was approaching the wounded bird, I felt like the remains of a zebra at the Serengeti surrounded by burping vultures! Thank god I only cracked a few areas on the fuse. It was a hell of bang mate. After 10 min of cello-taping it was up and away again pirouetting like psycho!
One dude at RC Bandit thought the engine cut outs or the spazing can be due to a motor being faulty. I remember it had this problem when even new, but to a much lesser extent. What are your thoughts on this problem?
Re the bent shaft, it was just a fluke that I straightened it. I stood the shaft on its head close to a can of fly spray ( the straightest thing I could find) and turned the shaft by 90 degrees, observing the gap between the shaft and the can and gradually muscling it to were I thought it should be! A trial and error process. It took about 1/2 hour at least. It was painful! It is still not a 100% straight but there is no vibration so I am happy.
Cheers
Hey again Alistair,

Thanks for the blow by blow on how you managed to straighten your shaft - it was great!
Here's some more pics of [link=http://s569.photobucket.com/albums/ss140/pgroom_68/DAUPHIN/?albumview=grid]my Dauphins[/link]
My thoughts on Esky motors are that they are OK for about 50 flying hours, then (like you say) they start to lose power - but usually not all at once! What you are experiencing sounds electronic. Without having your bird to test out - I can only guess......

Just replacing the motors is the safest option and there are 4 different types available ATM:
1. [link=http://www.controlfreaks.co.nz/Spares-ESKY+Lama+V4/c5_13/p79/180+Motor+w/+8T+0.5M+Pinion+%28A%29+-+EK1-0005/product_info.html]ESKY[/link] replacement motors (this is motor A - don't forget to also buy motor B)
2. [link=http://www.controlfreaks.co.nz/Upgrades-ESKY+Lama+V4/c6_18/p37/Xtreme+SE+180+Motor+-+Combo+Pack+%28A+and+B+Motors%29/product_info.html]Extreme 380SE[/link] bearing motor pair
3. [link=http://www.aero-nuts.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_76&products_id=554]Supreme (aero-nuts)[/link] bearing motor pair
4. And the ultimate [link=http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AFC-180-Ball-Bearing-Motor-A-B-SET-Lama-V3-V4-BCX-SL71_W0QQitemZ290301848395QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_To ys_Hobbies_Radio_Controlled_Vehicles?hash=item4397 56ab4b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14]AFC systems[/link] bearing motor pair
...so budget plays a big part, and if you can't see yourself trying a Fixed Pitch machine [link=http://s569.photobucket.com/albums/ss140/pgroom_68/FP%20HELICOPTERS/Esky%20Honeybee%20FP%20v2/?albumview=grid]Pete's Honeybee FPv2 PHOTOBUCKET[/link] any time soon, spending the $ on motors is a good idea. My preferences (as i have flown all four types for a while) are 4,3,2,1. You will be surprised how good the aero-nuts Supreme motors really are - and they are quieter and smoother also Just don't forget that they are all brushed motors and need running in

P.S. If you are going to paint your fuselage you must buy [link=http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TAMIYA-POLYCARBONATE-PAINT-PS-1-45-100ml-Spray-Can_W0QQitemZ250505472271QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Toy s_Hobbies_Radio_Controlled_Vehicles?hash=item3a534 a290f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14]polycarbonate spraycans[/link]. Normal paints harden to a shell that flakes off - and when crashes occur - the original colours show through[:'(] (You can't buy from here as they can only post by road - try your LHS)
P.P.S. All of the upgrade motors have bearings instead of bushes (as do the Esky ones). A small drop of light (sewing machine) oil helps lubricate any motors though........ Silicon-spray all the mechanical arms and gears also (but not the motors)
Old 10-03-2009, 06:01 AM
dauphinak

Hi Peter

Thank you so much for the fantastic info on selecting the right motor. Priceless sir. I think I will need to change the back engine again as the nose of the chopper tends to go right almost at full left trim on the trim tab. I only changed it a few weeks ago. The front engine is the original that came with chopper.I had a look at all the choppers you have. Man you have enough choppers to start a war all by yourself! Great range. Two questions :

1. What are your thoughts on the Big Lama. Can you fly it outdoors?
2. How different is the in-flight behaviour of the Honey Bee FP as opposed to the Dauphin? Being a single rotor chopper and all.

I would love to get a Honey Bee FP and gradually go up to a Belt CP. The only thing that I don't like about the HB FP is the looks. It looks like a RC thing. I wonder if it is possible to get a scale model fuse for it. Here I am complaining even before I have the privilege of possessing one! BTW I bit the bullet a few day ago and decided to fly circles and figure 8's inside the house in a small bedroom! After the 10th crash I managed to actually do it which was great. Since then I have been flying circles and so on in the small room and I am getting much better at controlling the beast, though I still crash a lot! But a lot less.

I really appreciate the valuable advice that you give me on the chopper scene.

Cheers
Alistair
Old 10-03-2009, 08:43 AM
pgroom_68

Hi Peter
Thank you so much for the fantastic info on selecting the right motor. Priceless sir. I think I will need to change the back engine again as the nose of the chopper tends to go right almost at full left trim on the trim tab. I only changed it a few weeks ago. The front engine is the original that came with chopper. I had a look at all the choppers you have. Man you have enough choppers to start a war all by yourself! Great range. Two questions :
1. What are your thoughts on the Big Lama. Can you fly it outdoors?
2. How different is the in-flight behaviour of the Honey Bee FP as opposed to the Dauphin? Being a single rotor chopper and all.

I would love to get a Honey Bee FP and gradually go up to a Belt CP. The only thing that I don't like about the HB FP is the looks. It looks like a RC thing. I wonder if it is possible to get a scale model fuse for it. Here I am complaining even before I have the privilege of possessing one! BTW I bit the bullet a few day ago and decided to fly circles and figure 8's inside the house in a small bedroom! After the 10th crash I managed to actually do it which was great. Since then I have been flying circles and so on in the small room and I am getting much better at controlling the beast, though I still crash a lot! But a lot less.
I really appreciate the valuable advice that you give me on the chopper scene.
Cheers
Hey again Alistair,

To answer your Qs: 1. Yes - I can fly my Big Outdoor Lama (or BOL as I call it) outdoors in up to 8km/h winds - any winds stronger than that & it gets blown about (due to it being a coaxial having a low head speed) but I can usually control it enough to land. If anything it is more stable to hover - and I find it more difficult to crash than the smaller coaxials. The downfall of flying a BOL is that you run out of indoor flying room really fast and it doesn't bounce off the walls easily
2. A single-rotor bird has a totally different feel to flying a coaxial. The single-rotor always lifts off towards the left (due to the torque of the tail rotor) - but after a while you can add left aileron at the correct moment to make this less pronounced. The average single-rotor bird is much more tricky to fly and needs constant attention and stick inputs when airborne. A perfect hover is NOT the goal of tuning your bird - it took me while to realize this (after tuning my coaxials perfectly to just sit in the air for a couple of minutes while I left the room for a coffee). With my second FP, after fine tuning & then re-tuning then re-tuning again (etc etc[:@]) for six months I finally realized that the momentum of forward flight makes the number of stick inputs that you must make less - down to a level that my brain could handle and after even more practice I don't even consciously think about them any more! it is like driving a car now. I think of the task - not the individual (Tx) inputs needed to get me there......[sm=49_49.gif]

About the look of the models. The R/C look (having a "pod (canopy) and boom") is something that is a matter of taste. The [link=http://www.helidirect.com/fuselages-large-heli-fuselages-c-1_59_509.hdx]full and/or scale fuselages[/link] are much more expensive - and are available for the 450 sized helicopters and bigger. I wouldn't want to fit and then trash one of those..... The [link=http://www.helidirect.com/cabin-outdoor-lama-p-8661.hdx]BOL fuselage[/link] is the exception ATM. It is a thin, lightweight Jet fuse with a non-spinning rear rotor.
There is another Esky scale-look coaxial available - the [link=http://www.rc711.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=121_123&products_id=1459]2.4G Hunter[/link]. It is a similar size to the Dauphin. But, if you bought this (and upgraded it) you would just get to the same position you are now.

P.S. A quick adjustment of your Dauphin: Center the trim tab on Tx. With a small flathead screwdriver turn the "prop" pot on 4in1 clock-wise a few degrees only. Switch on the Tx, plug in the helis flight battery and try your bird now.
4in1 adjustments are counter-intuitive, so the easiest way to remember which way to turn the pots, is to turn the same direction as your bird is turning (after centering the Tx trim). For full instructions - [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7350619]here's the 4in1 adjustment[/link] link
P.P.S. The BOL also has these same "prop' & "gain" pots on its electronics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.