Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

Cold and batteries

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold and batteries

I have the stock HBK2 1000 mah battery and last night my heating system in my house decides to stop. This morning, as I am waiting for the heater guy, it was 30 degrees in my house.. It got cold in NY last night.

I'm wondering if I chilled the battery.. I never messed with these types of batteries before. I wonder if the cold ruins the helicopter itself.. warped gear..ect ect...

I'm freezing!.. lol
Old 12-08-2008, 11:37 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Cold and batteries

Nah... other people fly them outside in the winter all the time.. as we in Canada do as well... from our igloos... lol

The lipo's like to be warm so as a hint stick them in ur pocket until you are setup and ready to fly... I use my 1000mAh stock batteries to warm up the heli... so I let the heli sit outside for at least 5 minutes before even plugging in a battery... this is to allow the gyro to come to the same temp as the outside air... I then use the stock battery to run the heli for about another 5 - 7 minutes, just about light on the skids... After this I pull the battery from the pocket plug in, let initialize and go fly'n...

One member on Heliguy experienced icing up on his K2 as he was fly'n... just like on the real birds... So the answer to your question... yes you can fly in thewinter with no probs

happy fly'n

sure hope the heater gets fixed soon... know the feeling
Old 12-08-2008, 11:52 AM

LOL, DD... I thought that the sensitive electronics would quit if they got anything close to cold. Nice tips on the warm up, and I'll keep my 1000 for that purpose..

Heh..these batteries scare me.. expensive and easy to bake lol.. In my old RC car days, I would just charge the 7.2 stick pack and run then dry on a light bulb bar. Last forever.

Hey thanks for all the help.. I do appreciate it a lot..
Old 12-08-2008, 12:23 PM
My Feedback: (3)

These lipo's cannot be handled that way... they like to be warm and you CANNOT run them dry... if you do they will be destroyed... This is why having a few batteries available is better than just one or two... With one or two batteries the tendency is to run them down to their lowest capacity and then charge them fast to the highest cap... This works them to hard... I have 6 2200 - 30C batteries that I use.... I don't have t work them as hard and they have lasted well with no replacements or puffing even tho they are the cheap chinese batteries...

IF you charge them well and condition\balance them well you won't have any troubles with them... Aslo you don't have to fly them down to their lowest limits either... You might find like I do that after 6 batteries flown you will be tired from the concentration it takes from fly'n these heli's... Thats why having a good charger, NOT the stock charger, will help in keeping ur batteries working for a good long while... You DON'T have to buy a $150+ dollar charger for this... The B6 Imax I just bought cost me $50 and I have and Align charger that cost me$43.00... I also have a stand alone\inline balancer ( Equinox ) that I use to balance my batteries to within .001 non the cells just to make sure... A well balanced battery will give you longer flights at better current delivery...

If you want links to chargers let me know and I'll post them for you...

happy fly'n
Old 12-08-2008, 05:13 PM

Dawg, your help is priceless.. Thank you..

That makes a LOT of sense to have many batteries and only fly them to half discharge so they don't get ruined. Having many batteries will let you fly 5 or so minutes on a battery then just switch them out, and go again.. This will give excellent landing and taking off practice lol.

Yeah I would think after a half an hour or so of flying a heli it would make my eyes and brain hurt lol.. Good stuff, Dawg.. I will hold those ideas when I start flying...

Good stuff.

You told me about the Align charger before.. I'll be getting that one since you have had good luck with it.

Thanks again..