Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

Xtreme battery tray

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xtreme battery tray

It locates the battery, what looks like above and higher than the battery sits stock. What does this do to the handling and flying characteristics? Seems it would throw the CG to the top and make it more apt to tip or flip while in flight.

I don't think I'll use it.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:43 AM

Default RE: Xtreme battery tray

You don't really need the Xtreme battery tray on the HBK2, it is most useful for helping to balance helicopters with batteries that weigh more. I'm not even sure you could fit it on the stock frame... On Michael's advice, I didn't get one for my CF frame, that I haven't put on yet.

My HBK2 could not be balanced at all with the stock set up and 1000mah battery, without adding extra weight to the nose. You could not push the battery forward enough (and still get the canopy on) to come close to balancing it... The 1800mah batteries that I upgraded to (to support the larger 3900kv brushless motor) balances it perfectly in the normal battery tray - without even needing to push it out in front. The angled Xtreme battery tray allows you to push the battery forward more without pinching in the canopy nose - near as I can figure that is its main advantage.

Generally you won't want anything much bigger than an 1500mah battery on the HBK2, although the Esky high-discharge 1800mah batteries that I have work very well for my non-3D flight. I would think that 2200mah batteries and such are just too heavy for the King2, and would make it handle like a brick!

Hope this helps!
Dave
Old 12-17-2008, 12:30 PM

I just received my Tonic-X 3300 and it is quite a bit more heavy than the 3900 E-sky that I also have now. I got the Tonic on recommendation that it is heavier and will put more weight on the nose. With the 1300 mAH batteries, it should balance quite nicely. I also have a 40 amp Hobbywing that is going in there too.. bit larger than the stock E-sky.

I think I will stop adding weight now, as it is gaining quite a bit fastly lol. I can see how you don't want a lot of weight on the HBK2.
Things are coming together now... All I need is a battery and a charger and I am ready to start setting up and actually fly.

Awesome hobby and takes up less room than my airplanes
Old 12-17-2008, 02:23 PM

Pitch the stock charger! This $43 Align charger works very well: http://www.ushobbysupply.com/product...63020130d54fb0

Takes just over an hour to re-charge my 1800mah Li-Po's.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 12-18-2008, 01:47 AM

Your 3900 motor and the 3100 motor are the same weight about 40 grams the 3800 motor is about 60 grams and so was the stock brushed motor that came with the King II. Might want to weigh it just for fun to see what it weighs
Old 12-18-2008, 01:53 AM

If you look at that battery tray and how it attaches you will notice that it is totally supported by two small screws that fit into the front of the alum frame support. I didn't install the battery tray for that very reason as I could see that one really hard landing with a 1800 mah battery of about 150 grams is going to damage either the tray or the support and at the price of either...
I made my own with some scrap alum and it is braced by the lower frame/battery holder and the support, fits at an angle under the Trex canopy I use now with room to spare. I have landed (controlled crash) hard enough to collapse my landing gear but only scratched the battery holder and never broke a frame since then either.