Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Esky Helicopters
Reload this Page >

USHS HBKv3 Tuner Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Esky Helicopters Discuss the line of Esky electric helis in here including the Honey Bee, Lama, Belt CP, etc

USHS HBKv3 Tuner Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:11 AM
dprince

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: USHS HBKv3 Tuner Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Disney1

dprince:

Glad you got a HBK 3,
Now you will need parts for that heli, and rusty only sells a very limited amount of parts for the helis he sells, [link=https://www.ushobbysupply.com/index.php?cPath=31_64&osCsid=168e045a57e987bae9f95231c05dd868]US Hobby Supply[/link] has all the parts you need for HBK 2 and 3, along with an assortment of upgrades.

Personally How can you sell a Heli and not support the product with parts?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:05 PM
dprince

I was not aware this was a ushs only thread Iam sorry for that. it was the only thread i could find about hbk3. and just for your info the parts are on back order and your sight does not evan have them in the list so i guess your out of stock to ( does not sound like good customer service to me either.) i thought this thread was about people helping people with the hbk3. but i guess this is only true if they bought it from you. so if i said i got my heli from you we would have other things to talk about right? lets both grow up and get back to what this thread is really about. does any one have any info on a easier way to change out the main gear other than taking the heli completely apart?
Old 02-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Disney1

dprince.
This thread is for ALL HBK 3 owners no matter where the bought the heli.

As for the Main Gear replacement.

You should be able to disconnect the links from the swash to the servos, remove the anti-rotation pin, then remove the nut and bolt at the bottom of the main gear and slide the main shaft head and all out the top. much like doing the same to the Belt CP. Then you can slide the gear set out the side of the heli.

Ron Sr
Old 02-13-2009, 07:46 AM
noobflyer01

hey dprince dont get discourage because of these guys. that's ALL they ever do is promote ushs. they think ushs is the only ones that carries all the parts for this heli. absolutely untrue. plenty of good vendors out there that dont go around bashing others to make a buck.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:52 PM
dprince

thats cool with me i agree noobflyer parts is parts as long as we get them and they work thats all that matters to me (hey disney thanks for the info i wll try this just pull hard and it will pop out eh??i have also noticed my belt is get thin quick do we have to adjust the pullys some how or just buy lots of belts. what i mean by thin is looking directly at the belt with writing on it is about half the surface it was about 8 baterry flights i wonder if something is cutting it slowly.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:08 PM
noobflyer01

here's another place you can get parts from. i have personally shopped there with very fast shipping. http://www.jaghobbies.com/rc_planes/hbk3.htm

plus i think he has the parts you are looking for.

about your belt. it should not wear so soon especially only 8 packs into it. check for any rubbing on the boom. the tension does contribute to wear as well so check that. also check for spurs on the boom.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Disney1

dprince:

Just looked at the exploded view of the HBK 3

DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THE MAIN SHAFT THE WAY I DESCRIBED!!!!

It will not work on the HBK 2 or 3. There is a pin through the shaft at the Timing gear to hold the timing gear in place. That pin will need to be removed to remove the main gear.

Take a look at you manuel on page 29 and see part 071, this is the pin that has to be removed to slide the main shaft out through the top.

If I remember correctly the HBK 2 has an alignment problem with the belt to the tail Idler pulley. Noob do you know the fix for this?

My belt CP has better than 100 flights on the belt that is in it, so the HBK 3 belt should not wear out that fast.

Check the Tail boom for 90 degrees to the frame. If the tail boom is off out of alignment it will cause the wear you are talking about.

Sorry for the incorrect removal instructions. We are all always learnong.

Ron Sr

Old 02-13-2009, 02:24 PM
noobflyer01

i dont have the king3 but on the king2 there is a pin that goes through the main shaft and is than wedged between the slots on the belt pulley. to remove you simply push the main shaft up till the pin is visible than you tip the heli to the side and it falls out. getting it back in is a pain also. to wedge it back in just line up the pin with the slots and push down.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Disney1

The same for the HBK 3 according to the Diagrams.

Old 02-14-2009, 05:47 PM
dprince

thanks guys i will try this tonight to swap gear out as for belt i will look into it further i do find small shavings around tail end like shaved off fiberglass is the best way to explain so i wil check those things out i have noticed my tail shaft is bent slightly (oops from crash i guess) will order one and see if this helps i could just be paranoid to. The boom is slightly bigger than hbk2 so Iam looking for cnc complete tail end which brands out there might fitt the larger boom anyone know??
Old 02-15-2009, 10:23 AM
USHobbySupply

Folks used to use the HDX300 tail, but it was designed for a slightly larger tail boom. You had to use a shim for it to fit properly on the HBK2.

So, I though, maybe it would fit on the HBK3. Nope, now the tail boom is too large!

I'm sure at some point, MicroHeli will come out with a redesign of their HBK2 tail box, which is very nice. But its not here yet.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:46 PM
8vsb

Disney1 -

There was a known safety issue with the Extreme cut-out blades last year (2008). The little triangular cut-out at the root weakened them and they were known to snap off at the root, and go flying. Xtreme issued a field bulletin on them last fall, I haven't kept up with the results so perhaps the version 2 is a completely redesigned blade, but retailers were supposed to stop selling the blades from last years stock and do a self-imposed voluntary recall. I would be leery of any blade still having the triangular cut-out at the root that has not been redesigned to eliminate this failure!! Especially with the Honey Bee King 3, since it's brushless and much more powerful than the King 2 out of the box!!

Reference: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=13

To satisfy my own curiosity I will order a few sets of the version 2 blades and will do a side by side comparison against my "still in the pack" Extreme blades from 2008. I will take pictures and will post the results.

Here is a link to the plastic blades the t were mentioned. I use the longer version on my Belt CP.

Yellow: http://www.ushobbysupply.com/product...9ccc7210d20891

Black: http://www.ushobbysupply.com/product...9ccc7210d20891

White: http://www.ushobbysupply.com/product...9ccc7210d20891
8VSB
Old 04-01-2009, 09:55 PM
USHobbySupply

I have not had any reports of the new version2 XTREME blades having an issue.

Several other plastic blades have the cutout, but none have suffered the same problem as the XTREME blades.

M
Old 04-03-2009, 12:52 AM
8vsb

Esky Honey Bee King 3 (HBK3) Tail Fin/Tail Gear Box Mod

This is a quick and easy Honey Bee King 3 mod that will lighten your HBK3 tail by about 8-9 gms, while removing the potential of the Vertical Tail Fin damaging the Tail Gear Box housing in the event of a crash.
It is commonly known among HBK pilots that the Honey Bee King has a very heavy tail, the Horizontal & Vertical tails fins of the HBK3 contribute to this condition as both fins are made of heavy solid plastic. As can be seen in the pictures that follow, the combined weight of both stock plastic fins is 10 gms. Typically 10 gms isn't much, but weight in a small Heli is everything, all weight out on the end of the tail shaft has a significant torsional effect. Too, the HBK3 Vertical Fin derives it's mounting from the Tail Gear Box, where in a crash the hard plastic Vertical Fin can break off the tail gear box mount, requiring the rebuilding of and setting up the Tail Gear Box. This simple little mod not only removes several grams of weight from the tail boom, but also removes the Tail Box threat by moving the Vertical Fin forward off of the Tail Box and to it's own mount.

To perform this mod you will need 3 parts, the Carbon Fiber Horizontal (EK4-0186) & Vertical (EK4-0187) Tail Fins from the Esky Honey Bee King 2, and the Esky Honey Bee King 3 Horizontal Fin Set Holder (EK1-0441), these parts are listed below and again on the pictures. I found all 3 of these parts in stock and available at: http://jaghobbies.com/rc_planes/hbk3.htm

Esky Honey Bee King 2 (HBK2):
EK4-0186 Carbon Fiber Horizontal Fin
EK4-0187 Carbon Fiber Vertical Fin

Esky Honey Bee King 3 (HBK3):
EK1-0441 Horizontal Fin Set Holder

The mod is fast, easy and straight forward, all parts are all drop in and bolt up with no modification. There's only two things worth mentioning in the whole procedure..

1.) The area where the Tail Box mount screws come through the Vertical Fin need to be fitted and trimmed (shaved) ever so slightly, this is pointed out in the pictures. Use care not to remove more material than is necessary, you will see in the pictures that I removed far more than was necessary, I used a Dremel and it cut very quickly, only a very light touch is all that's necessary.

2.) The only other area to mention is a suggested technique to install the Horizontal Fin Set Holder. This is the step most people will have a problem with, but it is easy if you use the proper technique. To install the Horizontal Fin Set Holder you must spread the Holder clamp apart and slip it in over the tail boom, you can do this without breaking the plastic Holder if you first use a heat source (heatgun, hair dryer) to warm the Holder clamp. If you do this wrong you will burn your fingers and/or melt or break the Holder, the Holder is cheap so you may want to purchase two just in case. Don't be in a hurry and attempt to warm the clamp all at once, take a minute letting the Holder warm gradually while moving it in and out of the heat flow, I positioned my hand behind the piece (in the stream of heated air) as the plastic Holder heated to make sure I wasn't applying too much heat. After you've warmed the piece for a minute or so, quickly grip the Holder at the opening, spread it open just enough to slip it over the Tail Boom and you are done.

Finish the assembly by slipping the Holder back against the Tail Gear Box, insert and tighten all your screws and Wah-la.. you are finished. Congratulations, your bird now has a lighter tail and one much less prone to damage.

8VSB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91984.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	1171592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15820.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	1171593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41807.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	1171594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le92309.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	527.3 KB
ID:	1171595   Click image for larger version

Name:	It10473.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	471.3 KB
ID:	1171596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98878.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	1171597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63190.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	461.7 KB
ID:	1171598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sy63315.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	383.3 KB
ID:	1171599  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28682.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	476.2 KB
ID:	1171600  
Old 12-03-2009, 04:34 PM
Disney1

Hey guys US Hobby Supply.com has all their helis on sale.
Now it the time to add to the fleet

https://www.ushobbysupply.com/index.php?cPath=30

Old 12-26-2009, 04:32 PM
liquid1

Mrs Santa was very good to me..Wahoooo I got a new King 3 2.4GHZ under the tree..I was thinking about upgrading the King II , And spoke in passing with mrs santa about the King 3 give her a few Links and By total surprise she Got it..Sweeet...
My king II is down for needing parts While flying 1 day it just went Bezerk and starting spinning out of control so i grabed the head and stripped the main gear out..Replaced the gear then lost Tail rotor pin and bearing whn my wife cleaned my hobby room up..errr..So I been without a Heli for a few months..Its been Killing me..he he..
WOW the KING 3 is nice and its good to see all this great Info started on the King 3..
I wanted to drop in and say thanks to all for great input and info ..I'll be checking in and out alot..Hope everyone had a great christmas.I am 39 and feel like a kid in a candy store..gotta do all the checks and start flying the king 3..wahooo!!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:00 PM
orlbuzz

HBK3 2.4gHz Tx. gyro switch

Ok, I'm confused. What does the gyro switch do on the Tx? On page 10 of the manual it shows that "up" is off. On page 17, it says that the gyro switch should be "up" to fly. What does the switch actually do?

This is not my first heli as can be seen below. I have a DX7, but thought I would buy a ready to fly and give it a try before I buy a Spektrum Rx.

orlbuzz

Blade Cp Pro with all separates
HBK2 built from barebones
TRex 450
all under control of DX7
Old 12-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Disney1

The switch should swithch you from HHto rate mode.
As for which way??
I have not flown a stock TX/RX and am not sure. I fly a DX61 on all my helis.
It should fly either way. I say is try both and see what the results are.
Tome off would mean rate mode and on would mena HH.
Personally I would get another Spektrum RX and sell the Esky radio on EBay

Old 12-30-2009, 01:41 PM
orlbuzz

Disney 1,

I suspect that you are correct about the rate/HH mode. This is, however, the new HBK3 Tx. with the gyro gain knob also on it, so it seems a little redundant to have both. That is if anything below 1/2 way would be rate and anything above would be HH mode, as some gyros function.

Yes, I will be getting a Spektrum Rx. for it, but I just wanted to see how good all the stock components are. Also, to buy a barebones and the motor alone would be close to the price I paid for all.

Anyone having the HBK3 Tx. care to comment?
Old 12-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Disney1

Agreed on the gyro gain knob, but don't you need to go to rate mode to do some 3-D manuvers?
I am a Scale guy, up side down would be badfor me.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:47 PM
orlbuzz

I don't do 3D either and probably will never be that good.

I'd just like to hear from someone with a new HBK3 2.4gHz Tx. as to what the gyro switch does for certain while I'm waiting for parts, because I didn't ask questions before I tried to fly it. I think my gain was too low as the tail went wild. But I'm not sure about the switch.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:32 PM
liquid1

Humm I just went back and re-read the same thing..I been itching to fly mine but the rain and wind has been to much..Looking at page 10 and 17..Look on page 14.. All I can figure is the gyro switch removes the gyro dial
control signal which will effect the heli tail swing..It either locks solid or removes any dial control looking at the wiring schematic..
Its been a long time since I have flew a Bird and want to know what the standard is Model 1 or model 2...I will be using the Stock TX for a while its got a few more
bells and whistles than the king II..Look at this You tube vid this might help..
http://www.youtube.com/comment_servl...%3DEoePoghgdrE
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...3&oq=honey+bee
Watch this one leave the Gyro in on up position unless your doing 3D it helps to cut it off ..he goes trough the motions..2.4ghz great learing vid..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhTT4ruCz4A
this is some sick flying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c7XTr0c_X4

Old 12-31-2009, 07:52 AM
Disney1

Mode 1 is the standard in Europ,Throttel on the Right
Mode 2 is the standard here in the USA. Throttle on the Left.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:30 PM
orlbuzz

I couldn't find a good manual for the 000989 (EK2-0406J) AKA EK6J transmitter, but this is what I have found. The one manual I found was for the EK6I model and it showed the switch and the knob. However, in the description, they reverted back to the older model with a hover pitch knob in that position. They did say up was off and down was "locked". I assume that means HH.

One place I found implied that the switch doesn't do anything with the "Pro gyro" as they call it. That would make sense, in a way.

I'll experiment when I get it back together. I just need a feathering shaft.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.